General Discussion Race Reports! » Pewaukee Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pewaukee Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
United States
Positively Pewaukee and Great Lakes Multisport
59F / 15C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 52m 29s
Overall Rank = 138/174
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

We picked up our race packets around 3:00, then went to Ed and Marji's to visit w them. David had left his front wheel behind, so Andrew came to E&M's to lend him his wheel and a VeloCity jersey. Unfortunately, he arrived right at 5, so Drew and I left to meet Sarah and Jason at Emperor's Kitchen (Marji's choice, not ours--would have preferred pasta) for our 5:30 reservation. David drove E&M in their car. Jason had Strep throat and had worked all day, so he wasn't feeling great. Marji was thrilled to sit next to Sarah. I got the Cantonese shrimp and egg roll, noodles, tea. After dinner we went to Steve and Terri's (they were in Chicago). Jason went to bed. David and I got organized for the morning--he put Andrew's tire on his bike--we packed our gear, then played yahtzee with Drew and Sarah. Sarah got 2 yahtzee's, the bonus on top, and all her bottom rolls. Unreal! Got to bed at 9:50, set alarm for 4:00. Slept ok, Becky came in and slept by my legs so I was conscious of her during the night. Alarm at 4, got dressed with Couer top and shorts. Had forgotten a sweatshirt (it's only 59 degrees out) so took one from Steve's closet. Ate a Kashi almond bar with PB and 2 waffle squares with PB, little water. No yogurt or bananas. Left the house at 4:45, got to the race at 5, but was on the opposite side of last year, so had to park in the park lot and walk in. As we were coming in I realized my timing chip was sitting on the coffee table in the living room. Ugh! Rookie mistake number 1!
Event warmup:

It was open rack so I took a rack near the bike/run out and David took one right near the swim in so he wouldn't have to run barefoot as far. Went into VeloCity to get a new timing chip, no problems with that. Came back to my spot and got everything laid out, was cold so I put on my wetsuit. Had a berry GU (caffeine) at 5:45. Found Janel who was there for Miranda, and got into the water at 5:50. It was quite warm. Did a short out and back swim and peed. They got us out by 6:05, race started at 6:15. David lined up with the elite and was the first out of the water but got passed on the run to T1 in the chute. I got in near the front, paired up with a guy Chris whose wife was doing the sprint.
Swim
  • 18m 39s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Tried to stay close to buoys, felt like I swam fairly straight. Had a few instances where I couldn't get around people right away and had some pass me as well, but really not much contact. Was impossible for me to sight on the way in, just kinda kept the buoys way to the right and looked at swimmers around me.
What would you do differently?:

Well, I haven't swam since the half iron, so like usual, I could actually do some swimming. Oh well, I just had the attitude that this was really just a workout as I knew I wouldn't be getting any sort of PR
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Did ok getting out of the water, cap and goggles off right away, found my string and unzipped, peeled arms out as I jogged in. Pulled wetsuit over butt and sat down on small towel, but had a really hard time getting my feet out! Left was extra hard with that bulky timing chip.

Truly, not wear a wetsuit! It's not really needed for such a short race, and it really slows me down in transition since there's no wetsuit strippers.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 43s
  • 21.7 miles
  • 15.93 mile/hr
Comments:

It's a nice ride, not too tough. No wind today so that was nice on the open stretches. Gets confusing when the sprinters merge in, they are annoying to get around.

More time on the bike so I can get faster. Just so dang slow!
Transition 2
  • 04m 41s
Comments:

OMG, what a disaster! I dismounted, jogged my bike in, and COULDN'T FIND MY RACK! Seriously, I went from row to row looking for my rack--all my stuff was GONE! Didn't think I'd be in the very end rack...duh! Once I finally found it was pretty quick hanging up my bike, taking off my shoes, getting running shoes on, helmet off, visor on, clip on race belt, and jog out of transition.

Ok, I have to admit, because this is such a short race, I really had the attitude that it was just a workout and I wasn't going to stress over it. I never did my 'swim in, bike out, bike in, run out routine or count rows or racks like I normally would. Taking my bike out was easy since I could easily spot my bike, but coming in, I lost my landmarks. Total newbie mistake! Lesson learned. Count the racks, find the landmarks...
Run
  • 1h 04m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Boy, I felt really slow. Took a sip of water at the first station, Janel ran a couple of blocks with me. Legs were heavy, sluggish. Was getting pretty warm out so I did takes sips of water at each stop, just jogged slow instead of actually stopping. Dumped water on my head at the last one cuz sweating a lot. Didn't feel bad or sick, just really sluggish, couldn't go any faster.

Well, the course was marked wrong, so we actually went 0.15mi (guessing) longer, not that that would have made me any faster. I haven't been running so I'm sure that's a big part. Just out of shape. Trying to let my heel heal!
Post race
Warm down:

Craig was right at the finish, he and Jess came and talked to me. Janel and Miranda had gone home. Wasn't sure why David wasn't at finish, found him at his rack getting his gear. We got our results and had a couple of beers and relaxed by the river--did a little stretching. Beautiful day! I got 2nd in my age group (ok, out of 2), so got a bag as a prize. Back to Steve's to meet up w the boys and hang out w S&T. Picked up chicken on the way home (they were returning from Chicago) so grilled that out for lunch. Hung out and relaxed in the pool. Didn't realize how sunburned I got--face and chest were blistering--Yikes!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just not training, didn't take this serious as a race, just a workout.

Event comments:

We really like this one since we've been doing it forever and we get to spend the weekend w Steve and Terri. Post race beer is nice but really do miss the big pancake breakfast Gloria used to put on. Well organized, well run (although the run course mileage got screwed up--no biggie tho). We'll be back next year!

Last updated: 2018-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:39 | 800 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 0/174
Performance: Average
Suit: Vortex full
Course: Triangle out, right, back.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:59
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:43 | 21.7 miles | 15.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/2
Wind: Little
Course: Same as last year, few hills but nothing terrible. Didn't have to stand up for anything but did a few times just to stretch out legs. Had root beer in the flask, water in the small profile. Drank maybe half the rootbeer, Did take a swig at mile 10, 20, then shortly before getting off the bike to get me through the run.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:41
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:37 | 06.2 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/2
Performance: Below average
Course: Double out and back loop. Flat course. Saw Craig and Janel at the first water stop, just took a sip there.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2018-08-02 9:56 AM

User image

New user

Waunakee, Wisconsin
Subject: Pewaukee Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pewaukee Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Course - 2018

Started by MOlsen
Views: 1310 Posts: 3

2018-05-15 11:47 AM Juancho

Monticelloman Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by mfoster73
Views: 650 Posts: 1

2017-10-02 10:43 AM mfoster73

Monticelloman Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by mfoster73
Views: 569 Posts: 1