General Discussion Triathlon Talk » taper Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-09-09 1:59 PM

Subject: taper
talk to me about tapering. i am 2 weeks out from augusta HIM. i put in a long run today and think it will be my last long run with 2 more short run (around 4 miles), an to the same with swim and bike, 1 more long session with each then 2 shorter sessions. i only have til next tues then we are leaving to drive there, also im 47 and recovery takes longer plus im getting pretty beat up right now from 22 weeks of training.

2018-09-09 2:46 PM
in reply to: bnsafe

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: taper

Tapering is good.  You should do it.

First for the run, then the bike, then the swim.  (They beat you up most to least, in that order).

Is there something specific you want to know?

2018-09-09 4:45 PM
in reply to: Experior

im not following any training plans so was looking for how everyone else tapers, how soon, how much, etc.
2018-09-09 6:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm in the same boat. I completed my last long run this morning. A 2 week taper is pretty common I think. I'm planning on 3 bike sessions, 2 swims, and 3 runs this week. I will probably brick at least one session, something around 75-90 minutes. I've loosely followed Matt Dixon's Fast Track Triathlete and this next week is similar to the previous weeks but definitely a step down in volume and intensity.

At this point the horse is in the barn, I'm just trying to stay sharp and healthy. Race week I'll probably only do one of each discipline, other than some quick stuff the day before the race to make sure my equipment is ready to go.

Good luck!

Edited by Parkland 2018-09-09 6:30 PM
2018-09-09 7:39 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Originally posted by bnsafe im not following any training plans so was looking for how everyone else tapers, how soon, how much, etc.

Got it.  A certain amount of tapering is based on experience of what works for you.  But here are some general guidelines. 

• For a HIM, 1-2 weeks out is about right for most people.  It depends on how fatigued you are. 
  • In general, it is better to be slightly 'over-tapered' than slightly under-tapered (i.e., still fatigued).
  • In general, it is best to maintain workout frequency, but make the workouts shorter.
  • Don't completely give up on intensity.  Include shorter bouts of intensity, but don't overdo it.
  • How much to reduce?  Get total volume down to 50% or below what you've been doing.
  • Taper the run first, then bike, then swim.  (For a HIM, you don't necessarily need to taper the swim at all, depending on how much you've been swimming.)
  • Prepare to feel bad during taper, especially if your training volume has been high.  Prepare for phantom pains, imagined injuries and illnesses.

Good luck!

2018-09-10 4:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by bnsafe talk to me about tapering. i am 2 weeks out from augusta HIM. i put in a long run today and think it will be my last long run with 2 more short run (around 4 miles), an to the same with swim and bike, 1 more long session with each then 2 shorter sessions. i only have til next tues then we are leaving to drive there, also im 47 and recovery takes longer plus im getting pretty beat up right now from 22 weeks of training.

A taper is about regaining freshness and allowing your body to heal.  It's about allowing your body to shed residual fatigue and regain form.

To achieve that you want to reduce volume, maintain frequency, and retain intensity.  Too often, age-group triathletes believe that tapering/peaking is about resting.  That isn't necessarily true.  Certainly you are allowing your body to recover because of the reduced volume.  However, a taper isn't about resting per se. Simply skipping workouts during a taper "to rest," is the wrong approach.

One of the unique aspects of a taper is it is HIGHLY individual.  What works for one, may or may not work for another and it's only through empirical evidence gained after multiple tapers that you will find what works best for you.  That said, there are some general guidelines that may be helpful.  Typically the HIM taper/peak period is 2-3 weeks.  Since you're only two-weeks out, we'll look at it from that viewpoint.

• First week reduce overall volume 40-50% from previous week
  • Second week reduce overall volume by another 40-50% from previous week
  • Retain frequency - meaning don't reduce the NUMBER of workouts.  Maintain your workout routine.
  • Maintain intensity while you reduce volume - this is important - it allows you to maintain fitness as you peak
    • The structure of your workouts that have intensity should change - i.e. if during your build you typically would do a 2-hour ride that included 5 x 10' threshold intervals w/2' recovery, change that to 4 x 5' threshold intervals w/5' recovery during a 1-hour ride.
  • Reduce run volume first, cycling volume second, and swim volume last
  • During a taper your body is replenishing glycogen stores so during the final week, consume at least 5g carbohydrate/kg of body weight per day
  • Since you are traveling for your race it is important to find a way to get workouts done while you are away from home

Hope that helps.

2018-09-10 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
The week before should be shorter tempo (race effort) type workouts. Not too stressing. Not too long. Reduce recovery needs.
You can't do anything the week before to make fitness gains, but you can diminish your race performance by training too much.
Just don't take all that week off.

2 weeks before should be lowering of volume and more race effort work.
Avoid strength sessions that require extra recovery.
I tell my athletes to stick to around 25 to 35 mile ride the weekend before easy and maybe a 60 minute easy run. Biggest volume max before race week.

SLEEP
HYDRATE
EAT RIGHT // don't limit food, don't try and hit the mythical race weight, don't over do it carb loading.
2018-09-10 6:20 PM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

thanks everyone, great info and greatly appreciated. i will re read this mulitple times over the next few days.
i have done my last "long run" and will shorten them accordingly. I have one more "long swim" and complete that thurs and one more "long ride" but will cut it down from 50 miles avg to say 35 miles friday. that an a couple short sessions this week should cover it.
then i am leaving town this weekend so will rest this weekend, do a quarter of what i have been doing next monday and tues hitting all three including a brick but short and easy. then we will leave.
2018-09-10 6:31 PM

User image

Pro

Your brick  should be short, but not necessarily easy......do your race pace.  The idea is to sharpen yourself for the race.  The rest of the advice is good IMO.  The only caveat I would throw in is that a taper can be a very personal thing, it's not a "one size fits all" to get it right for you (there are certainly generalizations, and you've been given them).....you may not get it exactly right the first time, so log what you do so you can make adjustments in the future.

2018-09-10 6:39 PM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

User image

Franklin, TN

I've been training with friends doing Augusta this year.  We're planning on a 35 mile ride this Saturday.  They'll probably do a couple of trainer sessions of 45 min-1 hour this week in addition to the Saturday ride and probably 2 30-45 min sessions on the trainer next week. 

I think I did a 8 mile run the last Sunday before my 2 HIMs with 2-3 shorter sessions of 3-5 miles earlier in the week.  I only ran once during race week for 5 miles...probably should have run at least a couple of times.

I would suggest keeping the swim frequency/volume up this week and drop the volume but not the frequency next week.  Matt Fitzgerald's super simple 70.3 plan has swims of 2000, 1600, and 2400 yards the week before race week and swims of 1300, 800 yards during race week (he also suggests a 10 minute swim the day before the race but I've had a hard time fitting that one in due to travel logistics). 

2018-09-10 7:41 PM
in reply to: #5249132

User image

Joel just described my plan for the next two weeks. Glad to know I’m on the right track!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » taper Rss Feed