Racemaker Productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 08m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Oh this was a mess! Got to the race venue at 5am after driving through dense fog and barely being able to find the place. Then, got on the first shuttle to T1 at 5:45 only to immediately get stuck in the wet grass and have to wait for a tow truck. We finally got to the race venue at 7:45. Didn't matter too much, because the 8am start time got pushed back until 9:15 due to fog...in 15 minute increments. Ugh.
Event warmup:

None--there was literally no warning that we were going to start the race.
Swim
  • 12m 57s
  • 570 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went really well. There wasn't really time to get into a groove or get tired. It was such a short course.
What would you do differently?:

maybe warmup, but I don't really think much, because I dind't know when (or even if) the race was going to start, so warming up was a moot point.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

T1 is long because had to pack up all stuff in bag for transition to finish line. It is a problem with this race. Took a little extra time to wash off my feet, which looks like it may have cost me about a minute, but being comfortable during the bike is important!

nothing
Bike
  • 3h 22m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall my bike was really, really good. One mph over my goal pace. I was happy with the speed and even the hill climbing on the few hills that were present. I do, in hindsight, wish I had put on more chamois cream that morning, but overall things were great!

Stroopwafels fall apart after being banged around in the bento for a few hours. They were very hard to eat.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

Again, took some time to make sure I was comfortable on the run. Changed socks and shirt into dry versions. Took a gu in T2 to combat the fact that I'm normally not very good at eating on the run.

not much...maybe remember to untie my shoes before hand!!
Run
  • 3h 26m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, this run was MUCH better than my other HIM or my stand alone HM. I twas long, and I'm thinking I don't really want to do it again right now, but I remember the whole section fo the race (unlike my previous HIM). Course was shady for the most part and had it not been, I would have been HOT.

Ended up walking everything after the first mile due to stomach issues until about mile 7, then I had large blister on bottom of right foot, so didn't run much until the last 100m or so.

probably could have worn my newer shoes to not end up with the blister (although, I think they are the reason I have toe pain right now).

I need to figure out how to eat and run at the same time. Also...pretzels are a terrible idea when you are already dehydrated. It was like eating salty sawdust.
Post race
Warm down:

absolutely none--just packed up my stuff and left because C and the kids were there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

run fitness.

Event comments:

The events weren't on time, but it was out of the RD's hands, given that there was a super thick layer of fog that morning. Shuttle bus to T1 also got stuck in the mud, so it was likely the event wouldn't have been able to start on time anyway, but again, not really the RD's fault. I can't speak to post race activities, as they were all closed up by the time I got there at 4:30 (race delayed by over an hour and the catered food/drink trucks were only contracted until 4:30 cutoff).

Overall, this is an okay race that has potential to be great with a few more years to work out the kinks (this is only year two).

Last updated: 2018-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:57 | 570 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
my garmin says swim of 2:07/100 yds
Suit: shorty sleeveless
Course: one time around rectangle shortened due to fog delaying start
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:22:50 | 56 miles | 16.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Wind: Some
Course: large loop we rode three times with pig tails to get to loop and then back to T2 area. Some of the ride, particularly the last few miles, was on a VERY busy road (one lane closed for us) and some intersections weren't well policed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:26:14 | 13.1 miles | 15m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Course: out and back on an open trail system (paved) and around the campground (gravel)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes