Other Resources The Political Joe » Egypt? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-10-16 1:23 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: Egypt?
Not sure where more exposure, here or CoJ... Anyone been there for leisure? Tips, tricks, ideas, what to avoid?

2018-10-16 1:41 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Egypt?
Originally posted by mdg2003

Not sure where more exposure, here or CoJ... Anyone been there for leisure? Tips, tricks, ideas, what to avoid?

You should call Melania....she just got back.

Egypt is on my to-do list.

Avoid terrorists. See the Pyramids. That's all I got.
2018-10-16 1:46 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

You should call Melania....she just got back.

Egypt is on my to-do list.

Avoid terrorists. See the Pyramids. That's all I got.

Good thing I have her on speed dial.
2018-10-16 3:14 PM

User image

Pro

I have no desire to go places like that.  I guess the pyramids are a decent thing to see.....but then what?  I imagine they look the same as they've looked through the ages.....and in every book or TV show.  I've just never cared to go look at man made things.....no matter when they got made.

I gotta have some woods or water to keep me interested.  My wife and one of her girlfriends are planning a trip back to Europe (she lived there for a couple years in her late teens and has wanted to go back with me......not going to happen)......I have ZERO interest in anything over there. 

2018-10-16 4:47 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
I just started researching it. So far, I'm seeing two days in Cairo, tops. Not sure if heading down to Luxor is worth the extra travel. See the pyramids, Nile and the Egyptian Museum. Hit a market or two to see if I can get in scimitar fight or something exotically Indiana Jonesey, blast back over to Europe. Maybe hit Normandy on the way out.

2018-10-16 7:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

It sounds like one hell of a trip.......but I'd personally hate every minute of it knowing I could have gone to Maine, or Montana, or dozens of places here that I haven't seen yet.    I could maybe be convinced to go to New Zealand.......that's it. 

Edited by Left Brain 2018-10-16 7:23 PM

2018-10-17 7:04 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Make sure you visit BF Egypt.
2018-10-17 8:22 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio Make sure you visit BF Egypt.

I've been there............more times then I care to admit.

2018-10-17 10:03 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
You guys r like Heckle and Jeckle; only more bludgeony.
2018-10-17 6:40 PM

User image

Pro

I don't know dude.....isn't that one of the places you can go to get your head cut off for not bowing to cows or something    .....I'm  not ready for that.

2018-10-17 9:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

It sounds like one hell of a trip.......but I'd personally hate every minute of it knowing I could have gone to Maine, or Montana, or dozens of places here that I haven't seen yet.    I could maybe be convinced to go to New Zealand.......that's it. 

I'm with you.  There are so many places here that I want to go see first.  There are a few places that I want to revisit and create different memories than the current ones I have.  I'm hoping to make it to TN this spring to visit with a friend while sightseeing Memphis and Nashville.  That might be the extent of my tourist vacation time.  I'm going to New York again in May for my son's graduation from law school.  We are hoping to spend a day or two in Canada while there.

2018-10-18 7:54 AM
in reply to: Faerie66

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Faerie66

I'm with you.  There are so many places here that I want to go see first.  There are a few places that I want to revisit and create different memories than the current ones I have.  I'm hoping to make it to TN this spring to visit with a friend while sightseeing Memphis and Nashville.  That might be the extent of my tourist vacation time.  I'm going to New York again in May for my son's graduation from law school.  We are hoping to spend a day or two in Canada while there.

Suggestions for Memphis - Beale Street for some BBQ and jazz and street performers, Mudd Island, Graceland, Dog Track (West Memphis on the AK side of the river).

Nashville - The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's mansion), the Parthenon, Grand Ole Opry, Opryland Hotel, Ryman Auditorium, Belle Meade Plantation....they have their own Beale Street/Bourbon Street but I can't remember the name of it. Lots of good food and music and bars.

War story time.....I ran the Country Music Marathon in Nashville. I had run the Disney Marathon 4 times so figured this one was right in my backyard (about 90 miles). Only problem was the Disney Marathon is pancake flat.....Nashville has some huge hills that nearly killed me. They have bands all along the course....about every mile there is a different band. Pretty cool. I was coming up on one band and was struggling and the band was playing, "...you're no good, you're no good, you're no good baby you're no good!" I told them I was doing my best....they had a good laugh.

I love NYC. Would never live there but it's a cool place to visit. I'm always fascinated that people live and work in such a place....soooo different than where I live and work. If's you've not been before, I suggest doing the HOHO bus tour....you can hop on and hop off at all the various tourist spots.

2018-10-18 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
We've been to all those except Maine and NZ. We actually were about to hit Maine last weekend, but the flights went to %%%%. The wife has NZ on the radar as a possibility for this trip as well, or Antarctic cruise.

She just showed me an itinerary for a Trafalgar guided trip of Egypt that is nine days. Kind of a long time, but we should get to see more of the country since it includes a short cruise on the Nile from Luxor down to Aswan. It will be a 25th anniversary trip, provided she doesn't kill me in my sleep( probably deserved! ) before hand. Working on the logistics...
2018-10-18 10:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama

We've been to all those except Maine and NZ. We actually were about to hit Maine last weekend, but the flights went to %%%%. The wife has NZ on the radar as a possibility for this trip as well, or Antarctic cruise.

She just showed me an itinerary for a Trafalgar guided trip of Egypt that is nine days. Kind of a long time, but we should get to see more of the country since it includes a short cruise on the Nile from Luxor down to Aswan. It will be a 25th anniversary trip, provided she doesn't kill me in my sleep( probably deserved! ) before hand. Working on the logistics...

I thought you get to fly free?

I've been to 46 of 50 states. Never been to NH, VT, MN, ND.

I've been toying with the idea of making a bucket list item to visit every National Part in America. Lot's of things on my post-retirement bucket list....so much to see and do....so little time.

We did a Trafalgar Guided Tour of Scotland may years ago. It was nice to not have to get a rental car and book our hotels and do all the research. Since then though we like to DIY. My wife is a planner by nature and by vocation so before a vacation I'd research things to do and she would organize and schedule the trip.

Edited by Rogillio 2018-10-18 10:58 AM
2018-10-18 11:26 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
We fly free as long as there are empty seats on the plane. A lot of times there aren't seats, like during peak leaf watching time in Mn.

We're not much for tour groups, but figure a place like Egypt might be best to have a group and things taken care of. The head chopping thing LB mentioned is a concern, but probably not a reality. We were a bit nervous about visiting Turkey in 16', but we found the people there to be pretty freaking awesome. Caution is a reality though, as the very day we were in Kusadasi the airport was bombed in Istanbul.
2018-10-18 11:47 AM

User image

Originally posted by Rogillio

Suggestions for Memphis - Beale Street for some BBQ and jazz and street performers, Mudd Island, Graceland, Dog Track (West Memphis on the AK side of the river). Nashville - The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's mansion), the Parthenon, Grand Ole Opry, Opryland Hotel, Ryman Auditorium, Belle Meade Plantation....they have their own Beale Street/Bourbon Street but I can't remember the name of it. Lots of good food and music and bars. War story time.....I ran the Country Music Marathon in Nashville. I had run the Disney Marathon 4 times so figured this one was right in my backyard (about 90 miles). Only problem was the Disney Marathon is pancake flat.....Nashville has some huge hills that nearly killed me. They have bands all along the course....about every mile there is a different band. Pretty cool. I was coming up on one band and was struggling and the band was playing, "...you're no good, you're no good, you're no good baby you're no good!" I told them I was doing my best....they had a good laugh. I love NYC. Would never live there but it's a cool place to visit. I'm always fascinated that people live and work in such a place....soooo different than where I live and work. If's you've not been before, I suggest doing the HOHO bus tour....you can hop on and hop off at all the various tourist spots.

BBQ in Memphis and Graceland are at the top of my list for that stop.  In Nashville, The Hermitage and Belle Meade are at the top of the list. As far as NY, my son has been a student in Syracuse for 3 years and he will graduate in May.  We have done lots in and around there with a few trips to The Falls.  They love living there and, I believe, their friends are sticking around, as well.  They will never move back to the midwest.  I never run out of things to see and do while we are there.

Do you ever NOT have a war story?    Love ya Rog!

2018-10-18 12:00 PM

User image

Pro

A mile down the road from my house is a boat ramp for the Meramec river.  2 mile ride down the Meramec is the Mississippi.  I've been to Memphis and back twice on the big river in a 20 foot jon boat.  Pretty cool adventure.  If I got to do nothing else in my life but run that river every day I'd die a very happy man. 

2018-10-18 12:24 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

A mile down the road from my house is a boat ramp for the Meramec river.  2 mile ride down the Meramec is the Mississippi.  I've been to Memphis and back twice on the big river in a 20 foot jon boat.  Pretty cool adventure.  If I got to do nothing else in my life but run that river every day I'd die a very happy man. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwFGJxRBRUs
2018-10-18 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

We fly free as long as there are empty seats on the plane. A lot of times there aren't seats, like during peak leaf watching time in Mn.

We're not much for tour groups, but figure a place like Egypt might be best to have a group and things taken care of. The head chopping thing LB mentioned is a concern, but probably not a reality. We were a bit nervous about visiting Turkey in 16', but we found the people there to be pretty freaking awesome. Caution is a reality though, as the very day we were in Kusadasi the airport was bombed in Istanbul.

Don't lose your head by visiting the Saudi embassy in Turkey!
2018-10-18 12:53 PM

User image

Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwFGJxRBRUs

LOL

Yeah, they went North after they crossed the river........not a good move.    Good place to get killed.

2018-10-19 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

We are hoping to spend a day or two in Canada while there.

You ever been up to BC? Amazing place to visit, Banff, Lake Louise...

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Egypt? Rss Feed