General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Adding strength training Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-01-26 7:55 AM

Subject: Adding strength training
Hey Folks,
Second year in the triathelon sprint world. I'm training for my 3rd triathelon and started adding in strength training in the off season. I'm training for my next race in March and not sure how to add in weights/strength most effectively. On my Tuesday swims I've noticed my arms/legs feel taxed from the Sunday strength training. Tips or training plan pointers?

2019-02-11 5:22 AM
in reply to: Heatherjbartlett@gma

User image

Subject: RE: Adding strength training
Originally posted by Heatherjbartlett@gma

Hey Folks,
Second year in the triathelon sprint world. I'm training for my 3rd triathelon and started adding in strength training in the off season. I'm training for my next race in March and not sure how to add in weights/strength most effectively. On my Tuesday swims I've noticed my arms/legs feel taxed from the Sunday strength training. Tips or training plan pointers?

I also need guidance as well. I tried to add gym training into my routine, but I felt that my Friday evening gym session seriously hurt my Saturday swimming, so I am giving up.
2019-02-11 6:14 AM
in reply to: miklcct

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Adding strength training
The strength training add-on we provide with our training plans here has a schedule of Tuesday/Thursday, which gives both strength sessions time to recover before long weekend workouts.

From a personal perspective, for awhile I was lifting right before a swim (as in, heading from the weight room to the pool) and while I noticed I tired faster in the pool, I also was a lot more aware of whether the correct muscles were engaged during each stroke because my muscles had just been fired up during weight lifting. This proved to be valuable for my technique.

Most people will argue that, strictly speaking, any exercise that isn't swimming, biking or running will take something away from your swimming, biking and running.

However there is also merit to the injury prevention and (for those of us who are older) general health benefits of strength training. It is often the case that strength training takes something away from triathlon training, but provides other benefits that make it worth it.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Adding strength training Rss Feed