Hyannis, Massachusetts
United States
Timeout Productions
Total Time = 1h 44m 26s
Overall Rank = 629/671
Age Group = F3034
Age Group Rank = 70/75
Pre-race routine:

stayed at a motel a half mile away with the dog and the husband. had my own bed, so that plus the beer at dinner the night before meant I got my best pre-race sleep yet. woke up, had yogurt/bagel, rode bikes to the start. when we were putting the front wheel on the hybrid, the front brake locked, so we just unhooked it. I stopped in at the wheelworks tent and they did something to fix it.

Event warmup:

swam a little, got used to the water.
Swim
  • 10m 36s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

didn't go as well as I'd liked - took me until the last turn to really feel 'right'. it's been too long since I swam in the ocean. I ended up swimming the first leg with my head out of the water since I just couldn't get a good breathing/wave ducking rhythm going.
What would you do differently?:

on this short of a course, I should do more warmup since it always takes me a little while to get in a groove.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 and T2 times included in bike time. I failed hitting my lap button appropriately, so I have no idea.

I ran (for a change) up the soft sand to the beach, then cleaned off my feet in the kiddie pool, dumped water over my face to wash off the salt, then picked my way gingerly over the ouchie pavement to my bike.

hit my lap button.
Bike
  • 45m 8s
  • 10 miles
  • 13.29 mile/hr
Comments:

well, I had the hybrid and no bike computer, so I was definitely slower than normal. and on one of the uphills, I accidentally touched my front brake reaching for the shifter... and the brake locked (luckily not all the way down.) had a very hard pedal while I tried to knock it loose. managed to, but my stupid hamstring had by then started hurting again.

hammered as hard as I could the rest of the way. had an interesting little bit around one of the tight turns. the road was wet, and I came in faster than I thought, so when I braked (rear brake only, since the front brake was wonky) I ended up skidding all over the road. scared the crap out of the volunteers, I think. managed not to drop it, recovered, and headed out of the turn in what was now entirely the wrong gear.

also spent the beginning of the bike loop trying not to boot up the salt water I swallowed.

um, win the lottery so I can get a road bike? also, brake earlier for the wet turns. all in all, I'm not unhappy, especially considering my training 'vacation'
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

got off bike straddling bike. stood for a second before lifting my now-seriously cramped left leg over the bike. limped off to my rack, switched shoes, limped off over the timing mats

not cramp?
Run
  • 48m 41s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 13m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

oi. started out running, hamstring was NOT feeling good. ran for a few minutes, walked a little, ran a little. I realized that I was pacing this woman who also looked a bit rough, so I asked her if she wanted to run/walk with company. We alternated 1 min/1 min the rest of the course, with some longer intervals of running thrown in. I think the company really helped me get through it.

run more. not have wonky IT band/back issues all through the month before my race.
Post race
Warm down:

recovered from my run on sand near death experience. got some water, found Adam, the dog, and our buddy Sam (watching the dog for the day.)

Wandered around for a few, then grabbed the bikes and walked back to the hotel. Seemed much longer this time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training.

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:36 | 440 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/75
Overall: 442/671
Performance:
Suit:
Course: rectangle, clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:08 | 10 miles | 13.29 mile/hr
Overall: 540/671
Performance:
Wind:
Course: includes both transitions. pretty flat, some tight turns.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:41 | 03.5 miles | 13m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 657/671
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon

2006-09-18 7:44 PM
in reply to: #545109

User image

Regular
MA
Subject: RE: Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon
Way to tough it out Monica, injuries and hybrids SUCK!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon Rss Feed