General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie - bucketlist item. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-03-29 10:42 AM

User image

Subject: Newbie - bucketlist item.

Howdy!  Doing a triathlon is on my bucket list.  Even though I am not very good a running, swimming or biking.    I start training Monday for a sprint in September.  I'm in my 50's and out of shape so will need the 20+ weeks.  Found a plan on the website that I'll adapt for my training.  Before I invest...I want to be sure I am going to stick with this.    So I was thinking about training the first month at the local Recreation Center....where I have access to pool, stationary bikes and treadmills. 

Any tips as I get started?  

I am nervous about failing.  I really want to do this.  I'm not getting any younger and this will help me get into shape too!  I haven't even told my family yet that I am going to do this.  I SO want to succeed!

2019-03-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: Laura_Smith

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Newbie - bucketlist item.

Welcome to BT and to triathlon.

First of all, don't be nervous. Most sprint tris are very beginner friendly. They have generous cut-off times so you can just get out there and try it out. At the race you'll see people of all ages, shapes and sizes. There is no reason to be intimidated. You do you.

Starting out at the rec sounds like a great way to get going. If they offer a "masters" swim group or a coaching type situation that will help with your swim technique which, for me, was the most difficult to get comfortable with. Once you are ready to buy a bike you don't have to spend a fortune. Keep an eye on craigs list for a used bike.

Also, check your area for beginner friendly run groups, or even a tri group. You can make some great friends by training for an event together.

You can look at BT for the answer to most any question. If you don't see it somewhere ask away. These folks are friendly and helpful.

Lastly... enjoy the journey. It's a blast! I remember my first of every distance. Each is special and it's fun to look back and see your improvements.

2019-03-29 4:14 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome Laura,

Sure, the Rec center is a good way to get started.  

Here's a link about goals and why you should share them--NOW--with people who can support you.  

https://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=3009

2019-04-01 1:04 PM

Good on you for jumping in, however late, to the triathlon game. I began training at age 59 for my first tri. Began in the month of Feb for an Aug race. I was completely out of shape. You have plenty of time to get in shape for a sprint. I can't begin to tell you how gratifying it is to cross the finish line for the first time. Go for it!
2019-04-02 7:49 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Thank you!  I am excited.  My first workout was yesterday...and I am still motivated to keep going.  Typically once I get through a week or two I am set to get my mindset right.  Thanks for the support!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie - bucketlist item. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Started by BrucePete
Views: 609 Posts: 6

2018-12-18 8:35 PM riles32807

Feel Like a Newbie

Started by JJCraig
Views: 593 Posts: 1

2018-09-09 9:28 AM JJCraig

Feeling Happy as a newbie

Started by marilynchughes15