General Discussion Race Reports! » Dave Scott's Texas Man Triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dave Scott's Texas Man Triathlon (Olympic) - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Irving, Texas
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 57m 27s
Overall Rank = 119/366
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/40
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in the hotel the night before. I quickly found out that the night before a race is not the time to have a 2 year old get their first experience of hotel life. Overall, not too bad as she shut down at about 11:30 and I was then able to sleep.

Up at 4:45 to meet the Team In Training group in the lobby to get over to the transition area. The weather was pretty bad and we just hung out in the lobby waiting for it to clear. I decided I didn't want to be in the mass group getting setup once it does clear, so I headed out in the light rain and racked my bike.

Went over to body marking and got my timing chip. Hung out with Steve (Doughboy) and Marcy (dodgersmom) who were volenteer (thanks y'all) markers and held the umbrella for Steve a brief time while he marked those coming in the rain.

After this, I was just standing around and the rain had pretty much let up. Announcements were being made with the status of the race. I saw a few people take their bikes from transition and head out. I ran into John (jcagg90) and Emily (emilyindallas) in transition while waiting.

The final announcement came that the race was on, but the Oly people would do the same swim/bike course as the Sprint which was 500yd/18mi. The run remained the planned 10k. I was pretty bummed at the time, but it's probably a good thing I only had to swim 500 yds with my rotator cuff issues in my shoulder. I guess my first Olympic will have to wait until next year (which may end up being after my first HIM).

I quickly got me transition area setup, grabbed my goggles, and waited for my swim wave, which was second.
Event warmup:

I had planned to get in the water and do a small swim warmup, but I didn't get around to it. I just did what I could to warm up my shoulder prior to getting in the water.
Swim
  • 09m 47s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

After every prior race, I've decided that I didn't seed myself high enough for the swim, so this time I put myself towards the outside, middle left-to-right and in the second row front-to-back. Well, in the time skulling waiting for the horn to sound, the people in front of me drifted back. I don't know if it was nerves or whet, but I held my spot which was now in front.

The horn sounded and I started swimming. There was a line of swimmers who all came to a narrow spot to the left of the buoy and to the right of the cement wall. Really, there wasn't much room here and the swimming was pretty rough, rougher than any other I've done. But, I've never seeded myself so high before. I was getting kicked and hit and doing my share of kicking and hitting the entire first length until the first turn. I had myself in really good position and made the turn within spitting distance of the buoy.

After the first turn, I had much cleaner water, but some around me were tiring. I had to negotiate the breast-stroker as well as the back-stroker. I didn't mind the backstroker at all, but I got a nice unsuspecting kick from the breast-stroker. I don't have anything against anybody swimming any way they want, but I sure wish I could see more than 6" in front of me to know when that foot is coming.

After I got by those two, I rounded the second turn, again very tightly, where I could have grabbed the rope holding buoy. After this turn, I had clean, open water. I was now behind all of the fast swimmers and in front of the not-quite-as-fast swimmers. From this time on, I didn't feel another body, nor did I pass or get passed. I also settled nicely into a good long stroke. I don't know what I did prior in the swim, but I distinctivly remember feeling a good stroke down the back stretch.

About 50 yards before the wall, I started sighting often trying to pick out the ladder I was going to use. I noticed quite a bit of people on/around the ladders, but in my peripheral vision, I didn't see anyone else. When I got there, everybody in front of me was already off the ladders and I had my pick as there was noone else with me to contend with. I meant to take a look back to see where all of the other not-so-fast swimmers were, but I forgot.

I climbed the ladder and jogged to T1 in the screams of other BTers and my family.

What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing. This was by far the best OW swim in a triathlon I've done.

I suppose I could have gone harder, but I was taking it a little easy (85% effort) due to my shoulder and knew it wouldn't hurt me timewise after they cut the distance down.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Until I feel I reach my performance pinnacle, I'm going to take my time in transitions. After the race was declared "on", I kind of rushed setting up my transition.

To quote Dave Scott "Don't worry about transitions, just ride harder".

Nothing. I'm very content with this plan.
Bike
  • 48m 14s
  • 18 miles
  • 22.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Out of the transition, I settled in behind a few people and was content until we got into the beef of the course. I immediatley notice that my cadence is not being picked up by my computer and the speed was intermitant. Oh well, I had the Garmin for speed and by now, I can feel the cadence good enough. Once I hit the 114 service road, I pulled to the left and started passing.

My original goal was to hold back a little on the bike to save something for the 10k run. My HR was high, but my breathing wasn't labored nor did I feel like I was going overly hard, so I just kept at it. I did find someone to settle in behind, probably about half way through the first loop. I probably could have passed, but his pace was pretty good and by now I figured I could use someone to pace me. I always ride harder than I want when I'm pacing myself.

We are now about halfway through the first loop and I realize this is going to be a real fast course. The road conditions are pretty good despite the weather earlier. Sure, there was the puddle here and there and the turns were a bit wet, but overall it was fine ... and the sun was still not out. While on the subject of the course, most was on 6-lane blvd, so there were 3 lanes in each direction. Somehow, they managed to get 2 lanes for the cyclists leaving 1 lane for the cars. This was way cool and a necessity later on the 2'nd loop, but sometimes we were given the inner 2 lanes and other times the outer two. It was a bit confusing as to where we should be riding.

Now, I decide to pass this guy and brave the course on my own again. I did this mainly due him being a little twitchy and not holding a line very well and I felt I could hold a litte better pace and still be ok. So I pass and realize he is on a MTB with aerobars. Now I know why he was so twitchy but am impressed he was pretty much holding 23 mph. Later, he goes by me and we switch positions a few times and I was up going into the turns & turnaround for the second loop.

For the start of the second loop, it's pretty congested and I'm not an aggressive rider at all. I get stuck to the right and am coasting alot as I can't get to the left without be drafting and forcing someone to draft me, so I just patiently ride a bit slower until things clear up. They finally do and I go left and just hammer past the big crowd. I'm going and going and just can't find any clear road. We are riding 3-4 wide and I'm doing my best not to violate any rules.

Things settle down a bit and what do you know, I'm right behind that %@$##^ MTB guy again. I don't know why, but this really pissed me off and I hammered about 2-3 miles making sure I'd not see him again. By now, I'm about 13 miles in and force myself to settle down a bit. This was pretty easy as I found a group that was cruising 22 mph and it would have taken too much effort to pass them all anyway. My HR was 5-8bpm down over the entire last 3-4 miles from the rest of the ride.

I'm absolutely thrilled with my speed and ranking on this leg. I belive the course was a little short, but the results are official ;)

This was a great bike leg. Only a couple of times did my breathing get labored and that was when I needed to push to get out in front of a slower group.

In hindsight, I think that I didn't take in enough fluids. I did drink 1 water bottle, but I normally empty 2 in the 14 & 18 mi sprint races I've done.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Again, not too concerned with the transitions. Oddly enough, the guy who was racked next to me came in just as I was leaving. I have a few kind words with him and then was off for the run.
Run
  • 55m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to run at an 8:30 - 8:45 pace for the first 2 miles, then pick it up a bit and if I was still feeling strong, finish at a 8:00 pace. Did I mention I've only run 1 standalone 5k and 4 (at most) 5k's in tris?

Just starting the run, I hear Sarah (TNT Tri staff ) yelling for me and then yells that her husband Jeff (tri4funjeff) was not far ahead and to chase him down. I wasn't sure if that would happen, but I kept it in my mind. Also, since he was in the 20 something AG, I knew he was in the first swim wave which means that I caught him on the bike (cool) as it wasn't possible he had slower transitions than me.

About 1/2 mile in, I started to have that shoulder pain that I've been getting. It usually comes right at the beginning, but this time it was delayed quite a bit. Rather than try to fight through it, I walked for 20 seconds. The pain went away and didn't come back even though I was running an aggressive 8 min/mi pace. I continued at this pace and I thought I'd be able to maintain it. I skipped the first aid station, but grabbed water at the second. I tried to do the running drink, but I probably only got an ounce or two down. It didn't help that the cup was half full of ice.

About 2 miles in I noticed that I hadn't yet seen anyone coming back on the run. I was suprised at this and it made me feel real good to be that far towards the front of the pack. Not long after this, I see the first one coming down the other way. A few others come by and then I see Aaron (JeepFleep) running by with the flag.

I'm starting to struggle a little, but I'm still maintaining my pace and it's not too bad. I knew I'd need to stop to be sure to drink the entire cup at the next aid station. I did this and then got back to my 8:00 - 8:15 pace feeling good again. I see Jeff coming the other way and knew I'd need a sub 8:00 pace to catch him, but I wasn't far behind. Got to the turnaround a few seconds under 26 minutes feeling pretty good about things, but knew it would be a struggle. Made the turnaround, stopped and drank at the aid station, then continued on.

Somewhere between the 3.5 & 4 mile mark, I began to struggle to keep jogging. I convinced myself to keep it up to the next water station. I did and walked about 30 yards before I got there. I took water and Accelerade (sp?) and saw Raegan (rgill) helping at this station. I also saw John around this time and made a feeble effort to get his attention. I was glad to be mixed in with the Sprint racers now as I knew it was almost over and I had the motivation of not allowing more people to pass me.

I continued as best as I could and would take one short walk break before I made it to the next aid station. I really tried to keep running, but I gave in for a short time. My legs really feel OK, but I was just exhausted. I got running again and made it to the last aid station. Again, I walked about 20-30 yards before I got there and made sure I drank the water. Here, I see the Team In Training coaches Billy and Kristen and they were screaming, cheering me on just as I started running again. I know I'm close and I get back to my 8-ish pace and am determined to finish it out at this pace. I'm pushing and keep telling myself the faster I go, the sooner it will be over.

Finally, I make the home stretch. The road is lined with spectators cheering and I'm scanning both sides for my family and anyone else I knew. I finally saw my family and gave them a happy wave. I had struggled with the decicion whether or not to push the last 50 yards or not, but decided to go ahead. I picked it up best I could and 15 feet from the finish, my hamstring started cramping. I hobbled through the chute holding my hammy. I'm pretty sure that is going to be one bad finishing pic.

I think my run would have been much better if I would have hydrated more on the bike AND if I would have stuck to my original plan going a little easier the first 5k.

Despite the struggles the last half of the run, I'm very satisfied with my run split. I figured a great run for me would have been in the 52 - 53 minute range, so only being 2 minutes off of that is nothing to hang my head about.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of water and went meet my family. Saw John finish up and yelled for him, but I don't think he heard me. Went and checked in with the Team In Training tent, ate some pizza, bagels, and fruit and hung around with my family, BTers and some TNT folk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience and hydration. This was my first longer race and I was just plain exhausted the last 2 to 2 1/2 miles of the run.

Event comments:

This was a very well run race with plenty of helpful volenteers. They managed through the bad weather nicely and all courses were very nice and safe.

I hear there was free beer and vodka, but I wasn't feeling too great so I passed on it.

There was apples, bananas, and bagles given out, but this was the first race where I've seen vendors (pizza, smoothie, etc) there selling food at carnival prices.

Last updated: 2006-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:47 | 500 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/40
Overall: 123/366
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangle course with buoys on the right. No beach area and exit was done via wooden ladders. Sounds worse than it was.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:14 | 18 miles | 22.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/40
Overall: 55/366
Performance: Good
AveHR: 181 MaxHR: 188
Wind:
Course: Two "loop" out and back course. One leg was removed to shorten it to 18 miles (sprint course). IMHO, this was a real flat course as the only "hill" was an overpass. There were a few low grade inclines, but overall flat.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:30 | 06.2 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/40
Overall: 158/366
Performance: Average
AveHR: 179 MaxHR: 187
Course: Out and back with the first/last 1/2 mile on a street and the rest on a concrete bike/hike trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-19 12:34 PM

User image

, Texas
Subject: Dave Scott's Texas Man Triathlon (Olympic)
Sorry for this turning out so long, I just couldn't stop.

I guess now I'll have to wait until next year for my first Oly, but I did learn a great deal from this race that I'll be able to use for my first real Oly (or HIM if it comes first).

Edited by camy 2006-09-19 12:37 PM

2006-09-19 3:38 PM
in reply to: #545800

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Dave Scott's Texas Man Triathlon (Olympic)

Wow! congratulations on  your first "olympic"!  You hammered on the bike!  Way to stick it out on the run  

So, when's your next one?

It was great to meet you!

2006-09-19 3:49 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Great job Chris! I'm glad you had a decent race (I think you had a great race).

You're in much better shape than you give yourself credit for. Pat yourself on the back.

2006-09-19 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Smoking bike, Chris.  Good seeing you guys out there.
2006-09-19 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

you did great!  awesome Bike, equally fast run, and a sub 10min swim.  Thats pretty damn fast!.

Glad you didn't hurt your shoulder too bad.

2006-09-19 9:37 PM
in reply to: #546053

User image

, Texas
Comet - 2006-09-19 3:49 PM

Great job Chris! I'm glad you had a decent race (I think you had a great race).

You're in much better shape than you give yourself credit for. Pat yourself on the back.

I think I had a really good race. Looking back at my goals/expectations I set at the beginning of the year, it was a great race. The bike is just incredible, but I'm most proud of the swim time. This was over 4 minutes faster than the swim of the same distance at the Disco tri. The run time was OK, but I had high expectations based on my training and standalone 5k paces.

I also think I really need to remember why I started in this tri stuff every once in a while. I honestly started to ensure I'd keep exercising and wouldn't revert back to being a couch potato.

Last year, I was OK performance-wise and completely content with that. This year, I progressed much faster than I thought I would and have gotten quite competitive and critical of myself.

2006-09-19 9:46 PM

User image

, Texas
I really enjoyed seeing all of the BTers as well and thanks all for the kind words.

As Steve has pointed out, I didn't do much damage to my shoulder, but need to stay away from swimming for a while to attempt to strengthen it and get coaching from masters swimming to improve my stroke so I don't go through this again (my shoulder problems started last year).

I do plan on 'strapin at Stonebridge and entering the run/bike of the reverse tri in Keller.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dave Scott's Texas Man Triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed