General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time Training Plan Help needed... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-04-28 11:09 PM

Subject: First time Training Plan Help needed...
Hi everyone!
7th week in training for my very first Sprint Triathlon. Not a newbie to swimming but relearning some bad swim stroke habits, cycling is decent, building up the distance and endurance and very beginner runner trying not to injure my weak knees ( with sports therapy help).

I'm working off a 12 week plan from Joel Friel's Your First Triathlon book with modifications to accommodate my running work with sports therapist.

The book plan ends with a weekend tri race but my race is not for another 6 weeks after that.

I know there's important periodization built into Friel's plans so what should I do with the next 6 weeks after my plan ends? Do I repeat the last 6 weeks of the plan or the last 2, 3, 4?

Thanks so much! Any help much appreciated .

2019-04-29 5:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: First time Training Plan Help needed...

Originally posted by rotipom . . . The book plan ends with a weekend tri race but my race is not for another 6 weeks after that. I know there's important periodization built into Friel's plans so what should I do with the next 6 weeks after my plan ends? Do I repeat the last 6 weeks of the plan or the last 2, 3, 4? Thanks so much! Any help much appreciated .

I'd start repeating weeks now.  First, identify the recovery weeks in the plan (in a sprint plan the pull back is often not as obvious).  Once you have done that, do a build week, then repeat the build week.  Don't forget to insert the recovery weeks.  It's been awhile since I've looked at that plan.  Since you're 7-weeks in to the plan, you'll likely be extending the 3/1 build/recovery cycle to something like 4/1 for the remainder of the plan to extend the end date. 

Something like this I would think -

You're on week 7 now, next week may be a recovery week.  I'd change that and repeat the current week, then take your recovery week.  Recovery is VERY important, however, at the sprint level the relative volume of the plan allows you to extend the build cycle.

For example - Week # 7, 7, 8 (assuming #8 is recovery), 9, 9, 10, 10, recovery,  9,10,11, 12.  That gives you an idea so if week 8 isn't a recovery week. you can modify that suggestion appropriately.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.  If your body is telling you it needs rest, take an additional passive rest day during the extra week.

By doing it that way you'll keep the prep phase at the end of the plan intact so you'll be best prepared for race day.

Hope that helps.  Happy training!

2019-04-29 11:48 AM
in reply to: 0

Hi Scott thanks so much for this! It's super helpful too see it broken down like this. I started modifying the plan for repeats and it looks like I'll run out of repeat weeks before I hit the last 4 prep weeks.

Do I leave those final 4 intact without repeats?

Maybe it helps to see this : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G9K7BTlcTXKpsobbiw0kc1Y6p-Oo...

Thanks again!
Amy

2019-04-30 12:46 PM
in reply to: #5258231

Bump
2019-05-01 3:49 AM
in reply to: rotipom

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by rotipom Hi Scott thanks so much for this! It's super helpful too see it broken down like this. I started modifying the plan for repeats and it looks like I'll run out of repeat weeks before I hit the last 4 prep weeks. Do I leave those final 4 intact without repeats? Maybe it helps to see this : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G9K7BTlcTXKpsobbiw0kc1Y6p-Oo... Thanks again! Amy

Hi Amy,

My bad, I mis-understood your first post and somehow thought you were working with a longer plan.  The easiest "modification" will likely be to simple overlay the plan on the calendar with the plan end date on race day.  Then pickup the plan wherever that would have you today.  That will have you backing up and repeating earlier parts of the plan.  No harm in that at all.  The main thing you want to try and avoid is repeating a recovery week or changing the final two weeks of the plan.  By simply realigning the plan to the calendar you will avoid those pitfalls.

Hope that helps.  (Sorry for the delay, your post got caught in our SPAM filters because it had the link in it).

2019-05-01 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I would suggest lining up the end of the plan with your race day and start where it lines up with today.

So you have a 12 week plan.
Your race is in 6 weeks.
You would start on week 6 and run it to race day.

2019-05-04 1:10 AM
in reply to: #5258207

Hi Scott, Ryan,
Thank you for your replies and help! I modified my plan per your advice to race day with dates. Same link as above. Did I understand it correctly? (Compare tabs for original plan).

Friel's plan includes optional workouts on some days which I only did for ones that land on weekends before this.

Since the plan when re-aligned to race day essentially has me starting from Day 1, I thought it's probably a good idea to include these optional workouts to keep my current fitness level. What do you think?

Thanks very much!
Amy
2019-05-07 9:06 AM
in reply to: #5258376

Bump ??
2019-05-07 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Hey Amy!

I would speculate if you ran the exact same plan as you did, you would gain some fitness.
Adding some workouts might also add to fitness, but depending on what type will dictate how much fitness you could gain.

At some point, they become junk miles without purpose. If you enjoy the workouts, then great. But, if you don't have time or it stresses you out to get them in, it might not be worth it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time Training Plan Help needed... Rss Feed