Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Has anyone done the St George Marathon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2019-07-22 11:04 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Has anyone done the St George Marathon?

I did two marathons a decade ago before deciding that running races over 2 hours long were too much for me.  I got coerced into signing up for the St George marathon this October.  I mostly have been trying to focus on my 70.3 training for a race in September so that I don't have to think about how much marathons hurt.  I have started to peek at the St George Marathon to see what I got myself into.  If anyone has done this race let me know how it went for you and what advice and tips you would pass on to a first-timer.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-07-22 11:05 AM

2019-07-22 5:36 PM
in reply to: #5261138

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Has anyone done the St George Marathon?
I have done it 5 times in the late 90’s. They bus you out to the start at 5,000 ft in elevation which can be rather chilly. Dress in layers because you finish at 2,600 feet in elevation and it was always in the 90’s at the end.

Beautiful red rock country but it is a closed course so spectators can be sparse. Go out slow for the first six miles as mile 7 is a nice climb up the side of an inactive volcano (Veyo). People get sucked out at their 10k pace and then slam into the hill.

Next, you have a slight climb until mile 14 or so ( doing this from memory so check topography map). The majority of the elevation drop is mile 20-25 and it can be brutal on your quads and toe nails with all that down hill. Last mile is flat, hot and through the town.

It is a great Boston qualifier because of the ability to achieve negative splits due to the down hill.
2019-07-23 11:27 AM
in reply to: SGriepsma

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Has anyone done the St George Marathon?

Thanks!  Yes...I saw the warning for Veyo Hill.  I didn't know it was a Volcano though.  That is cool. 

Thanks for tips.  This sounds like it is going to a very different race than my last two marathons.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Has anyone done the St George Marathon? Rss Feed