General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlantic City Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Atlantic City Triathlon - Sprint Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Atlantic City, New Jersey
United States
DelMoSports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 48s
Overall Rank = 314/494
Age Group = M60-64
Age Group Rank = 11/20
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in town, at a hotel about 15 minutes away. Got up about 4:15 and had half a bagel with PB to get some nutrition in, then slept for another 45 minutes or so. At race site, just set up transition and hung with TSW.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm ups; wouldn't let us in the water before the race. I guess you could call my barefoot walk back to the car then to the swim corral with TSW (to return the bike pump) as a warm up.
Swim
  • 11m 30s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim for me. Felt totally relaxed and in control, breathed and counted strokes the way I'd planned. Water was very comfortable. Everything came together...good time in the water. I was really excited about the time trial methodology to the start, but I guess I should've anticipated that I'd be bumping into a lot of people if we're all out there with similar ability. Probably had more contact with others in this race than in any previous save a couple of the pool swims.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all, this was a great swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

Transition was long due to long run out for bike. Only thing I might've added here from previous races was a quick sip of water.

Not really anything I could do. Set up and length of the area made for longer than normal transitions.
Bike
  • 36m
  • 11 miles
  • 18.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Awesome bike. Think we had a tailwind on the way back which probably helped my time; still can't believe I went over 18mph in this leg. Felt good and comfortable throughout, with no strain or concerns. Passed a lot of riders. With so much ridden on the AC Expy, didn't have to worry about turns or hills or corners too much, just ride!

Nothing! Loved this bike ride. Might could've pushed even harder.
Transition 2
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Did take time here to tear open and eat a Gu and wash it down with water. But again, biggest issue here was length of run from Bike In entrance to my spot.

Maybe not do the Gu, or at least maybe do it on the bike.
Run
  • 35m 50s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Race blew up here and I'm starting to really wonder what's going on with me and my tri run legs. I know it's not conditioning or lack thereof. Did not feel like I went too hard on the bike. Starting to worry it might be some underlying health issue or something, or if I'm not getting to the race fully hydrated or with appropriate nutrition in the days leading up to race day.

Now, I did start out too fast, covering the first mile in a little over 10 minutes, so that’s probably part of it. But a few minutes after that my chest started feeling tight or constricted behind and just above the breastbone. It wasn’t painful or really even uncomfortable, but it seemed to effect my breathing somewhat. Not to the point I couldn’t breathe, that didn’t happen, but as if I had some upper limit governor on what I could take in. And it definitely slowed me down.

First mile was more or less OK, pretty close to expected (hoped for) race pace, maybe just a tad slower, but perceived effort level was much harder. Walked for ten seconds after six minutes, another twenty seconds at 13 minutes, then again shortly after that at the water stop. Shortly after that we had a sandy portion that was just too difficult to run in so I walked that too. But getting back up to speed after that was just too tough due to the chest thing.

I'm at a loss. At about 15 minutes I could feel it slipping away.
Post race
Warm down:

Downed a bottle of water really fast, went into the food tent and gobbled a sugar donut and a banana, and took in another bottle of water. Just walking around was my warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Whatever this issue I’m experiencing on the run.

Event comments:

Really cool race. Maybe a little too easy for a sprint but sure a heck of a lot of fun. Can imagine it being a great first Oly race. Everything was top notch and handled very well, very professionally. DelMoSports would appear to be a great race director who puts on a great event. Might do it again but it does seem a long way and expensive (with the hotel and meals) for a relatively short sprint.

Last updated: 2019-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:30 | 440 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 426/494
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Clockwise rectangle in the inter coastal waterway.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:00 | 11 miles | 18.33 mile/hr
Overall: 196/494
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with a good bit ridden on the Atlantic City Expressway, which was very cool.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:50 | 03.25 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 373/494
Performance: Bad
Course: Across the water and up one block to the Boardwalk, then up and back on the Boardwalk to the finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-08-14 10:04 PM

Subject: Atlantic City Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlantic City Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by lmecoll
Views: 867 Posts: 1

2019-08-12 12:00 PM lmecoll

Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City

Started by tribeagle
Views: 848 Posts: 3

2018-10-16 5:22 AM kylianmbape

Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City

Started by lmecoll
Views: 1658 Posts: 3