Gulf Winds Track Club
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep well, but felt fine when I woke up. Lots of jittery nerves. Last year I felt like I got to the race too early, so we didn't leave the house until 6:50am, 40 minutes before it started. We got there at 7:10am but not early enough to get parking, so Todd dropped me off which was fine. Used the outside port-a-potty, and went inside the courthouse to wait where it was warm where I ate a pb and honey sandwich. Found my friend Marjie right before the race started and we lined up together. As we were shuffling to the front, I remembered to take the advil I brought.
Event warmup:

Ha, I never warm up! I just waited inside the warm courthouse until we lined up outside.
Run
  • 2h 28m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Really great race course. I found out after the fact that several people were trying to qualify for the national team for the summer olympics. Hilly, sunny, and a great tour of Tallahassee. I loved the church we went by right at the start that had the bells playing Chariots of Fire. It was great! Mile 1 got congested because it was at a corner at a busy street and there were pretzels and honey stingers before the water and gatorade. Whoever planned that water station was not a runner apparently -- you don't need pretzels and stingers at mile 1! Todd met me at mile 3.5 and I gave him my gloves. I felt really great the entire race and was able to keep the 4:1 interval like I wanted. I had a GU at mile 5 and 9.5 and was super happy with my blood sugar. I've figured out to turn my insulin pump's basal rate down to 50% at the start of a long run and it hold me well. Blood sugar was 110-120 the entire time. Started feeling tired at mile 11 but I think I was more hot than tired, so I took off my long sleeve layer and immediately felt better. My goal was to run a little faster than last year and I knocked 12 minutes off my time! Todd and our puppy Chet met us at the finish line. I saw them right before and gave our very confused puppy a high 5. The poor dog couldn't understand why he wasn't allowed to run with me!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe get there 10 minutes earlier, but it was fine with Todd dropping me off.
Post race
Warm down:

Todd brought me a regular Coke and we walked a bit. He parked maybe 1/2 mile away.

Event comments:

I love this race! A nice, hilly , well-marked course and wonderful weather. Lots of volunteers and water stations. Loved being able to wait inside the courthouse to warm up before the start of the race. Fun, party-like finish line atmosphere.

Last updated: 2019-12-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:28:48 | 13.1 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly! But no different than the hills I train on at home.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2020-02-02 1:59 PM

User image

, Florida
Subject: Tallahassee Half Marathon

2020-02-03 4:20 PM
in reply to: #5266680

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tallahassee Half Marathon

Woohoo! Sorry I missed this, but love that you shaved off so much time from last year! Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tallahassee Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dirty Dog Trai Marathon and Half Marathon

Started by petermanning1
Views: 819 Posts: 1

2019-07-01 11:01 AM petermanning1

Cool Peeps 5k & Half Marathon

Started by brynn
Views: 886 Posts: 1

2019-04-14 2:09 PM brynn