F^3 Events
35F / 2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1516/1534
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 138/139
Pre-race routine:

Race start at 10 meant I could sleep in until 7 and have an unrushed breakfast. Did coffee, half bagel with vegan cream cheese and Morningstar patties. Took remaining coffee on the road.
Event warmup:

Got to event later than I wanted due to train problems so didn’t get a whole lot of warmup done at venue but did some hip stretches.
Run
  • 3h 12m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

First 6 miles were great, felt really good and caught up with the 3 hr pace group around mile 4. Was planning on sticking with or even past them until about mile 6 when I thought I lost my run pod and turned around to look for it (I didn’t drop it). I lost the pacers at that point and couldn’t catch up. This is also the point I realized my feet were getting soaked. There was wet fluffy snow the whole time and warm enough that it was melting on the sidewalks and into my socks and shoes. By mile 7 I was just running in pools of water and I could feel my feet getting pruney and it was totally effecting my gait. It was less uncomfortable to walk so I switched from 60:45 run walk to 45:45. I tried walking more than running at one point but it still cold enough that my body was locking up during the walk- so it was a miserable toggle between the two. Probably the hardest 5 miles of my running career. Lots of tightness in right glute and low back. I run/walked to the finish though,
What would you do differently?:

I wore goretex shoes which are great for cold wind and minor splashes but the problem was that water got in and then couldn’t get out. Ugh.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled inside and got stretched real quick after grabbing stuff from gear check. Everything was closing down as I got inside so only time to grab stuff change real quick and get out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely those wet feet. I can run in rain if my shoes can drain! I was well trained for this race so disappointed I had a bad experience due to a wardrobe malfunction.

Event comments:

Good race but wish the venue could stay open a little longer for the slower folks. They ran out of medals for us too but are mailing them out and comped us a race entry for next year which is great customer service!

Last updated: 2020-02-05 12:00 AM
Running
03:12:46 | 13.1 miles | 14m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/139
Overall: 0/1534
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat out and back on south lakefront path (down to 63rd street beach)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes