United States
Mid-Pacific Road Runners Club
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 23s
Overall Rank = 283/512
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 35/45
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30am, took a shower and got dressed. Went downstairs and had begal with peanut butter and a bannana with lots of water. Gathered up all my gear and headed out for the drive to race start.
Event warmup:

It took some time to find the start area since the directions given to me by the gate guard weren't very clear. At one point I found that I was in the wrong area and at the end of a dead end. When I turned around I saw a line of other racers who must have been following me! LOL! I had to laugh. After parking I got my chip and put on my Amphipod belt, race number, race hat and sunglasses on top of my head for later when the sun came up. There was a moderate walk to the starting line. Once there I realized I forgot my gels. I decided against going back to the car for them since I was unsure how much time I had before the start. I'm unsure if this hurt me later or not.

I didn't really warm up for this. Walked around a bit and did some peaple watching.
Run
  • 2h 35m 23s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good on the first lap. I was keeping my pace and cruising along. I was getting passed a lot but I'm use to that. Not many run at a 10min/mile pace and not many do this sort of thing standing 6'5" and weighing in at 260lb. The difficult part came on the 2nd lap. The long uphill seemed to go on and on with no end in site. I started to experience feelings of futility. My hips started to ache and I would get occassional pangs in my left hamstring and right knee. I began to wonder if the old horse was going to hold up. Once I made it to the 3 mile aid station the second time and began the long downhill I started to regain confidence. Yeah, it hurt... but ain't it suppose to? I kept going and slightly increased my pace to take advantage of the downhill and gravity. Suprisingly my HR was quite low during much of this section and even dropped below 120bpm several times which is really low for me. I was unsure if I was having problems with my Garmin or the readings were accurate. Eventually we came to the end of the long downhill and the course began rolling a bit more. This is where the pain and fatigue really started to set in. I felt bad and just wanted it to end. I think this might have been avoided if I hadn't forgotten my gels. I think the added nutrition midway though would have really helped me here. I'm finding out how important that is for me especially since I'm so damn large! At about mile 13 I started to feel blisters forming in the instep of my left foot. My socks were now wet from sweat so I'm sure that was the cause. Once we passed the last aid station I knew we only had 1 1/2 miles to go and I also knew I could manage that distance no matter how much it sucked. I trudged along and felt like I was going so slow. I wanted to give it a little extra effort but didn't seem to have it in me. My legs were sore and tired and fought me every step of the way. I just tried to think about how heroic so many of the IM RR's are on BT and what a cry baby whimp I was being since this is only a 25k run! One foot in front of the other and low and behold they eventually carried me to the finish. I was suprised to see that I nailed my 10min/mile pace right on the nose! Yay, Me!
What would you do differently?:

Put my gels in my Amphipod pouch before leaving the car.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down. Went back to the start area and got my T-shirt. I didn't see any fruit or other food so I just left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gravity and being a Wookie.

Last updated: 2006-08-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:35:23 | 15.53 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/45
Overall: 283/512
Performance: Good
Mile / Pace / AHR 1 / 10:03 / 106 2 / 9:52 / 143 3 / 10:17 / 142 4 / 9:22 / 137 5 / 9:07 / 133 6 / 9:27 / 122 7 / 9:54 / 124 8 / ---- / --- 9 / ---- / --- 10 / ---- / --- 11 / 10:19 / 125 12 / 10:14 / 148 13 / 9:18 / 146 14 / 9:17 / 146 15 / 10:02 / 146 16 / 10:21 / 145
Course: This course is on Schofield Army Barracks which is an active military base here in Hawaii. The area the base is in is of a higher elevation than most of us are use to and there are much more pine trees as well as cooler temperatures especially in the morning. The course itself constists of 2 loops around what is generally most of the army base. The first half of the loop is a long and mild uphill which starts to get quite annoying after the first few miles. However, once you get to the 3 mile aid station you are treated to a nice long downhill gently sloping toward the back gate of the base. After the long downhill there is a mix of mild ups and downs, nothing major. I did find covering the course twice to be quite boring though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-09-24 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Subject: Schofield 25K Run
This was a distance PR for me. I'm sore now. I'm going to go elevate my legs and watch football. :)

Edited by Shaved_Wookie 2006-09-24 4:01 PM

2006-09-24 4:06 PM
in reply to: #550226

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Schofield 25K Run
"This race being 'only' a 25k ........."

Last time I checked, doing ANY sort of excercise for over 2 hours just frickin' rocks!

Congrats on pushing through and keeping it as consistent as you could. Who says big men can't run??? Makes my puny little 6'-1" frame feel small.
2006-09-24 4:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-24 5:29 PM

Regular
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Subject: RE: Schofield 25K Run

I think we should change your screen name to Shaved_Wussie Tongue out.  Great job toughing it out.  It will get better.  I really think your HR level being low was a direct reflection of your lack of nutrition(I am going to bring 600 gels with me to the marathon-maybe you will have enough!) Keep up the good work.

Aloha,

Matt 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Schofield 25K Run Rss Feed