Setup Events
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 3s
Overall Rank = 32/113
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 am after a decent right's sleep. The day before I did a brief Peloton workout for 30 minutes. I still drank 3 beers but spread them out. Pizza for dinner (made at home on Naan). Just before bed, I ate two packs of Karr's trail mix, which came back to haunt me. Drove down to Greenville, and left at 430. A little stressed out that I wouldn't have enough time, and it ended up being a little close. Stopped at a QT to poop and pee at Exit 75 in SC. Got to the race site at 640am and got set up.
Event warmup:

Nothing much here. Ran about 4 minutes, half a mile, before getting to transition. Didn't even swim.
Swim
  • 04m 32s
  • 250 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt great through most of the swim. Hadn't swum since Azalea Triathlon in March. Definitely got tired a bit more quickly than I thought I would have to and had to start breathing after 2 strokes. One guy came up on me at 50-75 meters, and I let him go. Then another jackass, who I think was Adam Burke, came bulldozing up on me when I got stuck in a clump. I told him that we were hung up in a pack but he went forward anyway. I ended up catching up and just pummeling him the whole last length. I was furious and hopped out of the poo without using the ladder. So mad., but he was fast and got to transition before I had a chance to say anything else.
What would you do differently?:

I mean, I can always swim more and practice. Maybe get a higher seeded time to get in a faster pace, but it's always a crap shoot in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Another pretty slow transition for me, but I didn't mind. I need to catch my breath.

About the middle of the pack on time for males overall, 8/14 for my age group.

Maybe try with my shoes clipped in next time, but I hate getting grass on my sock.
Bike
  • 49m 17s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 20.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Really felt much stronger on this ride than the Asheville Virtual Tri the week before. That being said, I was pretty slow on the climbs due to weight. There was one big climb heading out and then 2 big ones coming in. Lost some time on these to the leaders for sure. Only passed by two people, one who ended up winning my age group and then another who was 66!

Lose weight. I got a little bit loopy towards the end and checked out. Couldn't gone a bit harder, but I wanted to say some for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Slower than this should have been, mostly because I was trying to get my phone to save the bike and then start the run but It was soaking wet. Probably lost 10 seconds doing this.

Probably back third of all males in the transition.

9/14 age group

I need a new GPS watch, but it's not happening anytime soon.
Run
  • 24m 44s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 57s  min/km
Comments:

This was my worst of the three disciplines, which is a little disheartening considering I've put in some much time running this past year. I just couldn't get cool. And I was incredibly nauseous and hot after the first mile. Eating so much fiber the night before was probably not the best idea since my stomach was really churning. I passed a guy right at the end but got passed by quite a few much faster runners during the actual race. The pace, which was under 8, was pretty good, but I think the course was short.

Not eat so much fiber the night before. Dump water on me right at transition. Get a GPS watch.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really besides eating and drinking. Had a water, then a coke. Also had several cookies and walked back to transition trying to cool off and enjoying the fact that I had finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight first and foremost. Also the heat and humidity/dew point really got to me. I didn't use aero bars on the bike, which probably slowed me down a little, but I am not comfortable in that position right now.

Event comments:

Setup always puts on a great race, and being back at Furman was fun for me as an alumnus. I didn't stick around for the rewards. I do wish they opened the locker rooms for us at the end so we could have showered. Overall, a great race. Just really hot.

Last updated: 2022-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:32 | 250 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 29/113
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: https://d368g9lw5ileu7.cloudfront.net/races/race68682-customSectionAttachment5cffd9275fe3a8.54208888.pdf Basically first lane and last lane were one way, 4 in the middle were 2 way.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:17 | 16.5 miles | 20.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 27/113
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: https://www.strava.com/activities/7514905038 Mostly uphill on the way out and then down on the way back. On a 5 lane hwy coming through TR on the way back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:44 | 05 kms | 04m 57s  min/km
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 38/113
Performance: Below average
Course: https://www.strava.com/activities/7515075072 Basically an out and back with a little loop in the middle. Very flat, only 39ft of climb
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes