General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best of Michigan 2006 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-26 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: Best of Michigan 2006

OK, the season is winding down, and I hope everyone's had an outstanding 2007.  Many of us had great experiences racing and have found new and better races, places to train, or even eat post-race. 

To that end, I'm curious as to what races, training venues, etc are the "Best of Michigan".  I'll start with a couple of my favorites, and why:

Best Half Marathon - Martian Half, April, Detroit area, on Hines Drive.  Laid-back, fun, we ran it this year in costume.  Great tune up on Hines Drive for early season running.

- Best Cycling Training Venue - Kensington Metropark.  Uber-hilly, fairly technical, requires  handling skills, minimal traffic, lots of other cyclists.   If you can ride Kensington, you can handle any hills in the midwest.   Stony Creek Metropark is a close second.

- Best OWS training Venue - Trout Lake, in Island Lake Rec Area (near kensington).  Open water, beach access, no motorboats, shallow and sparkling clear water, warm water (very shallow lake), and not much chop - perfect for beginner swimmers, first OWS, sighting, and drafting practice.

With all that being said, does anyone have any nominations for:

- Best try-a-tri for kids
- Best Sprint Tri
- Best Oly Tri
- Best HIM
- Best Marathon
- Best Half-Mary
- Best 10K
- Best training venue - running
- Best training venue - cycling
- Best training venue - swimming
- Best hilly training ride
- Best race organizer
- Best race schwag
- Best kids race
- Best race destination / family weekend
- Other, any other?

Let the best (or worst, if you feel compelled) begin...post away...

2006-09-27 7:37 PM
in reply to: #552276

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI
Subject: RE: Best of Michigan 2006
Well this is only my first season of triing.(2-sprints so far)
But ... I just did a very cool duo. http://www.dunesdu.com/
5 Miles in the dunes followed by a 17.8 ride that was very flat.
Any other BT's that were there?

Ken
2006-09-29 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yep, I was at the Dunes. First time for me too. Really enjoyed the event, the run was killer, eh?

2006-10-10 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Great idea Rick!!!  Here were some of my favorites.

- Best Oly Tri - Interlochen Music Festival Tri, Interlochen/Traverse City.  Crystal clear lake to swim in, fast smooth roads on the bike, and a very challenging run.  Locals seemed to really support this event too, lots of people out cheering and setting up their own informal aid stations.

- Best 10k - Dexter Ann Arbor Run, Ann Arbor.  Beatiful course, lots of aid stations.  Musicians playing all along the course.

- Best Race Destination - Got to go with Traverse City here.  Not sure how it would be for a family, but my wife and I loved it.  Lots of small wineries to visit, great restaurants, hiking in Sleeping Bear National Lake Shore was spectacular.

- Best Venue - Kensington Metro Park, Milford.  I was blown way by how nice this park was; in my opinion its far superior to Stony Creek.  I am excited that this is the permanent home of the Great Pumpkin Duathlon.  Even though its an hour drive for me, I will definately be getting up there next year for some kayaking and training rides.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best of Michigan 2006 Rss Feed