United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 09m 15s
Overall Rank = 56/80
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Usual routine, got up early and ate breakfast (peanut butter toast, coffee, and lots of water). Drove up to the race, picked up my chip and goodie bag and just roamed around for a bit.
Event warmup:

Not too much. Walked to the start (about a quarter mile). Did a little bit of easy jogging followed by quite a bit of stretching. Slurped down a gel about ten minutes before the start.
Run
  • 2h 09m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Field was quite small so things spread out almost immediately. Things went really well on the first third of the course. Stayed comfortable and kept the heart rate in check, even on the up hills. Walked through the aid stations and grabbed some water at each one.

At the course meeting, they announced that there would be no water on the trail portion. Did not want to risk dehyrdation, so I grabbed a lot of water at this aid station. Turned out to be a good decision as I had no stomach issues what so ever. Took in another gel about a half mile into the trail. The trail was extremely hilly and muddy. Heart rate began creeping up almost immediately. Decided to trust my training and keep the pace up. This was the hardest four miles I have ever run, but I really enjoyed it. It was very peacful and the views were awesome.

Exited the trail portion feeling tired but still had quite a bit left in the tank. Grabbed a lot of water at the next aid station and kept on going. Not quite sure what happened for the next two miles, I thought I was running strong but my splits were a little slow. Started to feel a little slugglish around mile eleven. Slurped down my last gel (thank goodness it was caffinated) and felt better almost immediately.

When I got to mile twelve, I knew I had a chance to break 10 minute miles. Just bared down and gave it everything I had for the last 1.1 miles.

What would you do differently?:

I am not sure I had enough nutrition/water for this run. I was absolutely wiped at the end. Probably should have carried my own water for the trail portion along with another gel.
Post race
Warm down:

I stayed standing long enough to get some water and food. Even though I knew I shouldn't, I just had to sit down. Started to feel better after about ten minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training on hills/trails. I ran my long training runs at this pace and barely broke a Z2 heart rate. Where I live is perfectly flat though, the only hills I have to train on are freeway overpasses.

Event comments:

Sort of a blah race. Hardly any fanfare at the finish. In addition, the aid stations only had water and the cups were only a third full. Had to grab three cups just to get 8oz of water. There were enough access roads on the trail to have at least one aid station in there as well.

Last updated: 2006-09-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:15 | 13.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 56/80
Performance: Good
Mile 1 9:30 (161 bpm) Mile 2 9:20 (160 bpm) Mile 3 9:33 (169 bpm) Mile 4 9:44 (170 bpm) Mile 5-9 (trail) 48:42 (182 bpm) Mile 10 10:29 (183 bpm) Mile 11 10:54 (182 bpm) Mile 12 10:27 (186 bpm) Mile 13.1 10:34 (186 bpm)
Course: First third was on dirt and paved roads, mostly uphill with a few rollers. Middle third was on a very hilly and muddy mountain bike trail. Last third was on dirt and paved roads, mostly downhill with a few rollers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-26 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Curamus Terram Half-Marathon

2006-09-27 11:16 AM
in reply to: #552625

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Curamus Terram Half-Marathon

Sounds like fun, adding trail section into the middle.  You probably slowed down after that section because of all the mud on your shoes weighing you down

2006-09-27 2:30 PM
in reply to: #552625

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Curamus Terram Half-Marathon

Wow, great job!

This was the hardest four miles I have ever run, but I really enjoyed it.

Between that and "giving it all" at the finish, I'd say you raced it like it was meant to be raced.    Congratulations.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Curamus Terram Half-Marathon Rss Feed