Copps Indoors
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 34m 9s
Overall Rank = 161/249
Age Group = Senior Boys
Age Group Rank = 161/249
Pre-race routine:

Well, here was my morning. Get up a littler earier than normal for school. Get to school at 8:00 to write the first part of my Exercise Sciences test. Get there, nope its been postponed two days. Ugh. So we (Eric and I, he is on the team) get some dumb little assignment that the class will do but we just have to "discuss" to give us a better understanding of muscle attachment. Yeah, okay. So instea we read through our textbooks and, believe it or not, discuss tri's! Appearently Erics parents ar pushing for him to do a tri. Sick. So I sorta explain the whole idea to him. He being a competitve swimmer and runner. So then at nine we board the coach's van with the rest of the team and head to St. Catherines. Funny thing is, I was here 3 days ago. We went through there on the way to the Du on Saturday. Huh, it seems different in the daylight. So we sorta get lost off of Hwy 406 but we figured it out pretty quick. So we get to the race site, and find a tree. We get out our course maps and walk the course. But Eric and I have a bit of a problem. We walked the course way wrong. Since we are senior Boys we get the longest run, meaning the most loops. Well not every loop is the same in the laborynth know as Bugyone woods. And the map was a photo copy that said "follow sloidline to dotted line to dashed line" Yeah right. So we guessed and checked the "colour-coded" Master map at registration. So we all went for a group warm-up before our one senior girl raced, so we had to had a good hor so so. She did well for her first race, 28 or so minutes for a 5k. The coach and I tried to take pictures but both our cameras died when we went to push down the shutter button. Go figure, eh? Then there was the miget boys our two of them. One of our kids, placed second in his first ever 5k race!!! 18:54!!! He could have won too but he sprinted a tad early, but all I can say is WOW!
Event warmup:

So from there the was still a good hour and a half until the senior boys took off. SO I went for a 10 mins light run to lossen up. And went to the bathroom about 50 milion times. Stretched and lined up. Then we did some strides to get the ol' HR up for the start.
Run
  • 34m 9s
  • 7.03 kms
  • 04m 52s  min/km
Comments:

The start was good, I was passed by a mob (each school gets 2 runners at the front and since we only had two runners...) But I stated catching them as we went on.I was keeping the pace I wanted all first lap, In the forest I passed someone lying on the ground with a bloody leg. The rest us us called a marshall when we made it back to the field. Skip forward to the beginning to the second lap. I start to tire a bit. I figured I'd to that. No biggie, I'll just start to dig a bit, I know I can keep this pace going. WRONG! My weekend of racing rendered my with no reserves. So my pace slowly dropped over the next two laps. I was NOT happy, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I really wanted to go sub 30:00 or at least close. That would have put me in top 52.
What would you do differently?:

Not race all weekend proceding a race. At least this race didn't mean anything. Oh, and charge my camera so there is photo proof to show me what happens when I'm burnt out.
Post race
Warm down:

Pack-up, load-up, out!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh Racing?

Last updated: 2006-09-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:09 | 07.03 kms | 04m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 161/249
Overall: 161/249
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 different loops.