SPARC
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6am. Ate some oatmeal and 1/2 bagel. Stretched and walked over to the race site. Got race packet and jogged back home with a friend. Drank lots of water and took a gel pack 1/2 before race (not sure why).
Event warmup:

Walked around and jogged a bit. I was VERY nervous since this was my first ever 5K race. There were so many people and I just walked around and stretched. Went to the starting line and started near the back.
Run
  • 29m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out WAY too fast. I was exhausted before I came off the gravel road (which was only about 1/3 mile). My adrenaline was so high and I just kept running until I hit the first water station. I tried to drink a cup of water but the guy in front of me threw his cup and I got splashed with all of the water! I dropped my cup and kept running. Hit the turnaround at 12:50 which was way ahead of my target so I started to walk to get my breath. Helped a little kid who was having trouble with a stomach cramp and then started running again. Walked a few more times and when I got to the gravel road, I walked for about 1/4 mile. I just didn't have any energy left but I ran into the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Start slower. I need to find a comfortable pace that I can keep for the entire three miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and talked with a few of the experienced runners. Had an apple and lots of water b/c I was definitely dehydrated.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ran too fast and then simply ran out of energy. I guess this is what "hitting the wall" or "bonking" is. Too bad b/c I was so excited.

Event comments:

What a great experience. This was my first race and I was so proud of myself for just finishing under 30 minutes! I had lots of friends and family to cheer me on and I wish I could have done better but I ran out of gas. It was fun to participate in a race in my own neighborhood. I was familiar with the area even though I didn't know the course. Fun experience!

Last updated: 2006-09-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:26 | 03.11 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Started out on asphalt and turned onto a hard-packed gravel road for about 1/3 mile. Came back onto the road and very straight course up to a turn-around and then back. Nice, shaded and no traffic.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-30 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: SPARC 5K

2006-10-01 9:17 PM
in reply to: #556538

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: SPARC 5K

Hey there, Congratulations on your first 5K race!  Start-line adrenaline is soooo difficult to resist; it takes a certain amount of mental discipline to ignore it and run at YOUR pace.  Sounds like you figured that out though, and know what to do next time.

Also very cool of you to stop to help that little kid.  Next time, you'll be going too fast and stead for that, so you bagged your karma points now!   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SPARC 5K Rss Feed