Volusia/Flagler Environmental Action
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 18s
Overall Rank = ??/??
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/??
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30am and could not eat. Ate 1/2 banana and a gel pack on the drive to the race. Arrived and got packet. Ran back to car and stretched some more. Went to start and stood in middle near the side. Felt like I was going to run well today.
Event warmup:

Stretched and jogged to and from parking area a few times.
Run
  • 29m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1 time was 8:40 which is much faster than I am used to. I decided to slow down and hit mile 2 at 17:40 and then walked through the construction area. Breathing was labored and I walked again before sprinting to the finish. Not happy that I walked three times!
What would you do differently?:

NOT WALK!! I need to work on holding a pace for longer than one mile and not give up and walk when I get tired. My new goal is to not walk during a 5K race!!
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of stretching and jogged around quite a bit. I didn't know anyone so I was a bit nervous.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mind!! I gave up as soon as I saw the construction area. It freaked me out when the truck started backing up toward me and my adrenaline went into high gear. I should have used that to sprint ahead but instead I WALKED!!! arrgghh.

Event comments:

Post race was a lot of fun. They had great snacks - gourmet bagels and energy bars, gatorade and water plus lots of fruit. Free massages and lots of prize giveaways plus awards. Had a great time but was just disappointed that I walked so much.

Last updated: 2006-09-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:18 | 03.11 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/??
Overall: 0/??
Performance: Below average
Course: Straight course for most of the race. Passed mile 2 and then hit a large construction area where the road was torn up. The crew was actually working and I had to run out of the way to avoid getting hit by a big truck that was backing up. Other than construction area, the race was great but a bit tough for me.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-30 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: Save the Loop 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Save the Loop 5K Rss Feed