General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Peters, Missouri
United States
St. Peters Rec-Plex Natatorium Foundation
Total Time = 2h 01m 25s
Overall Rank = 159/373
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/44
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45, ate some breakfast, loaded transition bag while wife got ready. This was her first tri and she was pretty nervous. Then loaded gear, and got to Rec Plex a little before six (if you're early you're on time and if you're on time you're late).

We picked out a couple of rack spots about halfway between swim entrance and bike exit, and very near run exit. It was still pretty dark, so we dropped our stuff and went inside to check out the pool. The water temp was perfect.

By then it was getting a little lighter outside, so we set up our transition stuff. I hadn't done this since getting the new bike/shoes, but wasn't real concerned with my time since I didn't know how my knee would hold out, so I guessed.

We then started back inside and ran into getsome. He wasn't racing due to an injury and was pretty bummed, but was volunteering. A little later a couple of friends showed up to watch their first tri. We gave them the the rundown and headed inside for the swim start.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about five minutes and then half heartedly streched for 10-15 miunutes while we watched swimmers.
Swim
  • 10m 33s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not bad. Passed about four and only got passed by a couple. It was difficult to pass in the first four lanes because they were two standard lanes divided in half with a rope, so they were narrow. Had to wait on one person - was ready to pass 10m before wall, but slowed down and waited till next lane. No big deal, I guess thats pool racing.
What would you do differently?:

Go a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Ran pretty hard from pool to bike, but then took it easy since I didn't know if my ITB issue would let me finish the bike leg let alone the whole race. Dried off well - it was still quite chilly. I wore a T-shirt under my bike jersey, which worked out to be perfect for the temp.

Stretch. Should have spent a couple of minutes on ITB, but was excited to ride and forgot.

Learn to get started bike with shoes already clipped in.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 44s
  • 21 miles
  • 17.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a good time on the bike. For starters, I had no problems getting clipped in. Sometimes I do when I'm in a hurry. I only have 199 miles on the new bike and shoes and that includes today and a couple of trips to the LBS on the rack with the wheel spinning in the breeze.

I cruised up the first hill, over the interstate and then it was down the hill and out onto the flat. I cruised along pretty good. Had a little duel with one person, but basically concentrated on maintianing a good pace. Passed several and only got passed a few times. A little after the turn around I eased up a and had a gel. I did better this time than last with nutrition - took two gels and 24 oz. of fluid total (1/2 water 1/2 G-ade). Shortly thereafter, I saw getsome at his post. He gave me some words of encouragement as I rounded the corner. I don't remember what he said, but it worked 'cause I hit it pretty hard for a couple of miles till I noticed my ITB starting to feel tight and hurt a little. I tried to stretch and rub it while coasting, but that was little or no help, so I just kept going.

A little later I took the second gel and then back up the long hill, over the interstate, and back to the TA.

Stretch before starting. Also, I think I might get a different computer that shows cadence and maybe a HRM to help maintain a good pace.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition except forgot to take one of two shirts off. Would have been ok with no shirt as it had warmed up quit a bit and no rule requiring one.

Stretch and maybe rack bike closer to bike exit.
Run
  • 38m 8s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Headed out on the run without stretching and had to stop about 200yds in. I stretched the ITB for about two minutes and was off again. At about the 1/2 mile mark I was getting warm so I decided to loose a shirt on the run. I've done this before, but of course this time the shirt was stuck and I was running blind for awhile.

At mile two my knee was starting to hurt, When I got on the city street at maybe mile 2.5 the pain increased dramatically within a few strides. It never got better after that, and was even worse on the few small hills and unlevel areas of the trail.

I think I ran the first two miles at a good pace, but then slowed down. I stuck with it and didn't walk regardless of the pain. About 500 yds from the finish a guy passed me going pretty fast and I picked it up and stayed about 20 feet behind him. When we were about 150 yds out I sped up, passed him, and sprinted to the finish. Hope I didn't pass him ofensively close to the finish.

Stretch. Take off extra shirt in TA.
Post race
Warm down:

I wasn't very fatigued at the end. I grabbed a bottle of water and walked a little, talked to my friends for a few minutes, and then waited for my wife to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ITB, my ITB, and my ITB. Oh yea, and a lack of training the last several weeks due to, you guessed it, my ITB.

Event comments:

I think this was a great venue. The pool was great, TA was nice and big, and the bike course was flat and fast. The run course was great in places, definately safe, but the unlevel parts of the trail and the cambered city street took a toll on my body. So, for me individually, the run course wasn't perfect, but overall it was a very good course.

I did see a few people cutting some corners on the run, and I also saw several gel packages on the bike course. That's just not cool.

I definately didn't finish in the top half of my AG, but considering I wasn't sure I could do more than the swim as recent as 10 days ago, I feel ok with my race. I'm glad my wife did this with me. It was fun to train together and we have plans to do this race again next June.

I tried to thank every volunteer on the course, but I know I missed a few. I think getsome made a good point when he said that he had raced all summer and now it was his turn to volunteer. Kudos to him and everyone else.

Motivational points:

1.) five miuntes faster would have meant 41 places better overall and six spots in AG
2.) spin on the bike and work hard - it will make a difference

Last updated: 2006-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:33 | 500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/44
Overall: 0/373
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50m pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:44 | 21 miles | 17.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/44
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty flat, with a few minor hills at beginning/end of course. It was well marked with only a couple of exceptions and the volunteers were great. Computer showed exactly 20.75 miles with 18.3mph avg.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:08 | 05 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/44
Performance: Below average
Course: Trails through park area. Mostly paved, with about 100yds on gravel and maybe a quarter to half mile on a city street. Lots of shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-02 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: 2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon

2006-10-02 6:52 PM
in reply to: #558290

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: 2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon
Nice job, despite your ITB issues. I like your motivational points at the end. I'm going to have to do that in my RR.
2006-10-03 7:01 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO

YAY! Glad you could get through the race despite that pesky ITB. Getsome pointed out your wife to me, but you were no where to be seen! I was on the run course and depending on when you came by, depends on where I was...it was either at the end of the trail where you loop through the subdivision before heading back or I was at the split in the trail. It was great to see everyone doing so well. Seriously, eveyone that came through looked great!

Your race report really shows what a great attitude  you have about this! Don't ever let that go! 

Now, take care of that ITB. It's no joke.

2006-10-04 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Well-executed race, Joe.  You stuck to your plan, and nailed it.  i enjoyed the thorough race report because it kinda felt like i was racing too.  motivational points at the end will find their way into my RR's as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing lots more rock-solid races out of you in the future!

~B

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon Rss Feed