General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just Another Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-20 7:46 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Just Another Newbie
Hi everybody! I have been thinking of doing a tri for almost twenty years now. Yes, I know that seems like a rather long gestation period but I have so many excuses that it would take all day to list them. Suffice it to say that I have decided that, come hell or high water, I will do a triathlon this coming June; I had one in mind for May but I will be out of the country at that time. I am a part-time student at a university and thus can avail myself of the physical facilites, including an olympic size pool. I am well versed in all three disciplines, swimming, biking, and running but as you can tell by my "handle", cycling is my sport of choice. I have done an "unofficial" sprint tri at the school and find that my only weak link is swimming. Having done a sprint, I know that I can do an olympic tri, if not with ease, then at least without suffering a coronary. My ultimate aim is to complete a half marathon tri in September of 2004. I am not much for posting but I will be looking into this forum to see what information and tips I can pick up. Also, I know a good deal about road bikes so I will probably put in my five cents' worth every once in awhile.

Name: Michel
Residence: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Education: 3rd year standing at Carleton University as a part-time student
Profession: Policy Analyst with the Canadian Public Service
Athletic Background: x-country skiing, cycling, running, boxing, and some swimming
Hobbies: yoga, chess, reading, learning
Goals: stay in shape, fiinish a tri
Long-range goal: do a 1/2 Ironman
Favourite Food: Thai, Italian, French
Favourite Drink: Wine, Port, Amaretto
Favourite Movie: The Maltese Falcon, Amadeus, Pane e Tulipani
Favourite Music: Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, Haydn, Beetwhoven
Favourite Automobile: Jaguar S type
Favourite Quote: In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare,
terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da
Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they
had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo
clock. (Orson Wells in the role of Harry Lime - "The Third Man", 1949)
Who motivates me: my wife Agnes whom I adore

2003-12-20 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2720

Subject: RE: Just Another Newbie
Welcome Machiavelo,

First off... well done for making this life changing decision and prior to popular belief.... it is never too late and you can never ponder too long .

you are just the opposite of me. I swim well but when it comes to riding a bike ( one that is mobile) i am bordering hopeless. But nonetheless... if you work hard at it ... you will suceed

Might i add you have a wonderful taste in food and music.

Mandara
2003-12-20 9:00 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the board and great to have you here! Let us know if when can help you!

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-12-20 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome here machiavelo!  i am with mandara...good with the swim but i...'dont get excited' about the bike.  regardless, your swimming will come, u have plenty of time...stay focused and BINGO...u will find swimming is easy. 

i will def be paying attention to your cycling posts...i am sure that will be my weakest area this year and need all the help i can get...at least to stay motivated with cycling training.

2003-12-21 7:10 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Thank you so much for your warm receptiong guys. Although I have said that my swimming is my weakest link, I did join a swim club back in 1984 to at least learn the fundamental strokes. My association with that club did not last long, however, as the members were anal types who believed rather strongly in the pecking order, elitists being royalty and newbies being serfs. Nonetheless, I did learn the strokes well; but now I have arthritis in the shoulders which makes that portion of the tri a bit more difficult for me. Oh, I do not limit myself completely; it's just that I have to pay very careful attention to the manner in which I rotate my shoulders which slows me down to a great degree. The pain is always there but I can live with it without drugs. My running days were relegated mainly to 10K events although I did participate in a few half marathons. I have been an avid cyclist since the early seventies and I am mainly adept at long distances and conquering hills. I realise that tri's being mainly flat do require a different type of bicycle and cycling style.

Edited by Machiavelo 2003-12-21 7:12 AM
2003-12-22 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Welcome Machiavelo! Glad to have someone with your experience with bikes on board!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just Another Newbie Rss Feed