General Discussion Race Reports! » Seven Springs Rotary's Longleaf Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Seven Springs Rotary's Longleaf Triathlon - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Port Richey , Florida
United States
Seven Springs Rotary's Longleaf Triathlon
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 47s
Overall Rank = 57/104
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Got up, got dressed, got all my stuff together and into the car. Headed off to the race site.
Event warmup:

None. How could I warm up when I'm freezing!! It was very cold. In the high 50's. I kept jeans and a long sleeve shirt on til just before I put my wetsuit on. Met up with Jess and Terri when I got there and we chatted and walked down to the lake together.
Swim
  • 29m 52s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

This is a weird race. It's seeded by number. 15 seconds between starts. I had a fairly good swim. I think I made the wrong decision about wearing the wetsuit though. The water was plenty warm enough not to wear one. I think it helped me stay afloat and probably made me just a bit faster, but I think that it affected my breathing cuz it's tight. Plus it was hard to move my arms to swim. Shoulders are sore because of it.

About 1000 meters in, some guy coming back had crossed the midline, was off course and slammed into me. Smacked me right in the face. My goggles went right into my eye sockets. Swedes are NOT comfortable when they're being slammed into your skull. OUCH!! But other than that, the swim went well. No gators.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear the wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

This T1 included a quarter mile run to the transition area. It was a good 2 minute run from the "lake" to the TA which made my T1 time pretty long. Once in TA though, I was in the first rack closest to the exit, so at least I didn't have far to run to get out onto the bike course.

Nothing...good T1.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 51s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

OK so the first 5 or 6 miles were hella windy. I had trouble making 18mph at some points. But once into Starkey park, the tress blocked the wind so I was able to keep up a good 19+. 20 and 21 in some spots, but settled at about 19, wasn't feeling really strong on the bike. My back started hurting me at about 10 miles. So I took it easy so it wouldn't kill me. The course got pretty narrow for a while and was really shady so it made me nervous. Wind returned about a mile from the turnaround where the land was flat again. But when I turned around, I was instantly at 23's and 24's for a while! Back inside the park again, and I was back to 19's and 20's with no wind. Once we got out of the park, the wind had seemed to die down so I didn't get the tailwind helping me out, but I managed to keep a 20 for the last two miles. Not a great bike, but definitely better than HOT...no hella hills, no rough pavement. I was last in my AG on the bike, but I still was satisfied with the time being 7 minutes better than my last Oly bike.

Go faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Just the usual T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 48m 4s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a GREAT 10K!!! I ran this portion of the race in the same amount of time that I did my standalone Midnight 10K on July 4th! I never felt tired, never felt like I wished the finish line was closer, I had an awesome run. At about mile 2 (and again at a little after mile 3) we ran over a small bridge. Someone had taped a page from a naughty magazine to the wall on the bridge. I ran by and said to myself, "Wow! Boobies!" I wonder if that was done for the race, or just someone being silly.

Anyway, I was rounding a corner about a half mile from the finish and some kid says to me..."only 10 minutes to go". And I was like "What? For a half mile???" And I ran by. Sheesh.

Jess and Terri met me near the finish line and Jess screamed out some Derka Derka stuff and we laughed as I sprinted to the finish line.

Nothing. Best Oly 10K yet!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, sat down, chatted. I wasn't spent like at HOT, I was thinking maybe I just didn't go hard enough...but I'm sure it was the weather that was a big factor too. It was 75 degrees at finish time with hardly any humidity, as opposed to HOT that was 90 degrees with at least 60% humidity.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My back. Must get bike fit done!!!

Event comments:

They admittedly had trouble with their timing equipment. I trust my watch. All the times in this RR are per my watch splits, not the race timing. Officially my time was 2:42:52 which is 52 seconds slower than my Oly PR...but by my watch this race is more than 2 minutes better than my PR. With all the problems they were having, I am not gonna trust their timing completely. UGH. But still, it was a fun time, a great race, really pretty venue, and I was satisfied with my performance. I'll do the sprint here next year.

Last updated: 2006-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:52 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 0/104
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Out 400m, back 400m, out of water, back into water, repeat. This "lake" was really a large retention pond, graded at a 4 to 1 slope (I do this stuff for a living I can tell when a "lake" is man made, the control structure in the middle makes it obvious too).
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:51 | 24.9 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/6
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A few miles on roads, then into Starkey park for an 8.5 mile path out, then 8.5 miles back, then back onto the roads again, and back into Longleaf.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:04 | 06.2 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Course: Out 2.6 miles, back 2.6 miles, then around a 1 mile loop inside Longleaf to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-16 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: Seven Springs Rotary's Longleaf Triathlon - International Distance

2006-10-16 5:58 PM
in reply to: #570014

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Seven Springs Rotary's Longleaf Triathlon - International Distance
Great Job Jeff....geez if a 48 minute 10K was 5 place in your age group....Man there must have been some speed demons in this race!!!  Crazy fast!!!  Awesome Job   Now go get your bike fit......Good thing you werent' at flatwoods uber windy.  Take care -SMO
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seven Springs Rotary's Longleaf Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed