General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Francis of Assisi 5k Road Race & Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Francis of Assisi 5k Road Race & Walk - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wakefield, Rhode Island
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 36m 50s
Overall Rank = 125/155
Age Group = 19-39
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

i got up and had a soy shake. this race is the same distance as my regular saturday morning run, except at the end of this workout i get a t-shirt and some apple crisp... sweet! so i did what i normally do in the morning, shake, and then drive to the race.
Event warmup:

i stretched, and looked around at my competition. it was a nice family race, there were quite a few people there, but mostly local. the high school boys and girls track teams were there and a lot of parents running with their kids.
Run
  • 36m 50s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 22s  min/km
Comments:

I was really pleased with myself. this was the first time in a long while that i wasn't running with my running buddy, beth, and i was worried about my ability to maintain my pace because usually she is the one pushing us to run faster. i was thinking i would run even slower than i normally do, but i tried to push myself and it worked really well. i didn't feel like i was killing myself but i was happy with my pace and my time came in almost 2 minutes faster than my previous PR, so i was thrilled.
What would you do differently?:

really, nothing. it was a great race, i felt prepared mentally and physically. i knew i wasn't going to be coming in first, but again i didn't want to come in last and i wanted to have a good time, which i did. if i'm not too pregnant to run next october i will definitely be doing this race again.
Post race
Warm down:

i had some water, and some banana and orange and my bowl of apple crisp and stretched a bit, then i went home!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i'm a pretty pokey runner, and that's just where i'm at right now. everything i read says that i shouldn't be concerned about my times until i've been running at least a year and i've barely been running 7 months, so i'm just trying to pound pavement and worry about getting faster later.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed myself. this was a nice, mellow, family oriented race and it was a lot of fun.

Last updated: 2006-10-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:50 | 05 kms | 07m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 125/155
Performance: Good
Course: the course was pretty okay, not great though. while it was interesting to run up high street with all of the shops it was kinda crappy running with all that traffic. a couple of larger trucks drove past me while i was needing all the O2 i could get, if you know what i mean. after we turned off the main drag it was much nicer residential neighborhoods and some less busy commercial sections.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-19 1:57 PM

User image

Subject: St. Francis of Assisi 5k Road Race & Walk

2006-10-19 2:50 PM
in reply to: #573003

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: St. Francis of Assisi 5k Road Race & Walk
2 minutes faster is pretty darn fast, congrats on your pr!  And the post race apple crisp sounds deeeeee-lish
2006-10-20 7:55 PM
in reply to: #573003

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: St. Francis of Assisi 5k Road Race & Walk

Way to go on the PB!  I absolutely love the small local 5k races.  Sounds like you do too!  I enjoyed reading your RR.

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Francis of Assisi 5k Road Race & Walk Rss Feed