The Tyler’s Run Foundation, Inc.
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 55m 26s
Overall Rank = 44/90
Age Group = XL 185-199
Age Group Rank = 8/13
Pre-race routine:

Ate oatmeal and drank water for breakfast. Drank a Diet Coke on the way to the race. This was my first Duathlon, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. It was also a very low priority race, so I didn't really mind if I didn't do too well.
Event warmup:

Before the race the weather temp was in the upper 30's. I had numerous layers and was trying to decide whether to go with shorts or pants for the race. I did the first run with pants and long sleeve shirt and gloves, put on sweatshirt for the bike, then peeled off sweatpants and sweatshirt for second run. It worked out well and I was never too hot or cold.
Run
  • 24m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I just ran my first half marathon last weekend, so I was in pretty good running shape, however due to my time training for that, my biking was neglected. Anyway I ran a good 5K in a time that was very fast for me. I felt great the whole time and tried to push it. When it was done I was almost surprised it was over already and how nice and smooth it went. After running 13.1 miles last weekend, 3.1 didn't seem like much.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, felt good.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Took extra time putting on sweatshirt and had trouble buckling chin strap with gloves on. Transition area was very small, so all the times were very fast.

Nothing much, I did about as well as could be expected.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 27s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 16.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Out on the bike I went, just trying to take it nice and easy since I hadn't done much cycling in the last month or so. I went out on the first section at a decent rate over some small rollers through several turns. These were mostly rural roads with no traffic, but later there were some sections with a fair amount of cars. Ate one gel with water during the first couple miles. After about the first six miles I was already getting a bit tired and my lack of bike training was catching up with me. The next section was a stack of hills that was long and relentless. Some were long and steep hills and there was never much in the way of a downhill to gain any momentum. Just when you summit a hill and think it's over, you see the next one on the horizon. Needless to say, I could see my average MPH going way down. I was going so slow but my legs were just dead and my chest was heaving for air. These hills finally ended after awhile and I got going again on some flat sections. I was cruising along chatting with a couple other riders. All the sudden, I hit a small bump and the armpad on my aerobars broke right off. I had to stop and go back and get it. From then on it was difficult to get into the aero position and definitely couldn't do it comfortably. I was pretty demoralized at this point (I found out later a small screw broke from the pressure of use over time. I've already fixed it, but decided to buy a new bike anyway). Lastly, I was coming close to the end on a fairly busy stretch of roadway and an ambulance came by. All the cars ahead of me stopped so I had to as well. Didn't lose too much time but was another momentum killer. I finally made it back to the park and finished up.

More bike training, especially on hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

The transition area was in grass which was wet from the dew, so I decided to keep my bike shoes on instead of sliding them off while on the bike. I didn't want wet socks for the last run. I shed my helmet, sweatpants, and sweatshirt, and put on shoes and took off.

Nothing much. All the clothing was necessary in my opinion due to the cold.
Run
  • 26m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was glad to be done biking and out on the run again. I just kept a nice steady pace and waited for the rubber legs to wear off. Took my second race gel at the beginning of the run. I planned it poorly and didn't have any water to take it with, but I thought it would help for the last 5K. I was supposed to eat it before the end of the bike but I forgot. I felt good throughout the run and cruised on in uneventfully. It felt good to finish and I had a really enjoyable time at this race.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and stretched like always. Chatted with my brother who finished 6th overall!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training on the bike. I considered this a very low priority race, so I didn't put much effort into the bike training. Still, I would've liked to have done better and am slightly embarrassed by the poor bike performance.

Event comments:

This race was a great time with a great atmosphere. There was also a 5K and 10K going on at the same time. There were racers of all different experience levels. Best of all, the proceeds went to a good cause. All proceeds went to the Tyler's Run Foundation, set up for Tyler Frey who died of SIDS in 1996. I believe this was the tenth year of the event, I did the 10K last year. I would highly recommend this race to anyone! Very enjoyable and like all HFP events, well run!

Last updated: 2006-10-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:35 | 03.11 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 51/90
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back run on bike path at Miami Whitewater Park. Some hills but nothing major. The worst being on the way back there was a gradual incline toward the end. One water station at turn around which was plenty.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:02:27 | 17.5 miles | 16.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 42/90
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: The course is best described by splitting it into thirds. The first 6 miles or so was mostly flat with some very small rollers and several turns. The next third could only be described as brutal hilly torture! There were some really tough inclines and long as well. The last section was mostly flat with some small rollers. I guess it went out of the park and then on a big loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:32 | 03.11 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 49/90
Performance: Good
Course: Some as first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-20 6:13 PM

User image

Liberty Township, Ohio
Subject: Tyler's Run

2006-10-21 9:29 AM
in reply to: #574136

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Tyler's Run

Congrats looks like a fun race.  I had seen it but really had not given much thought to doing it.  Maybe next year I will check this one out.

That bike sounds like a good course, mix of hills and flat.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tyler's Run Rss Feed