General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitions and shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-23 3:50 PM

Subject: Transitions and shoes
Hi,

I have purchased an ultra nice pair of Shimano SH-TR01 shoes to go with my clipless pedals, but they are so nice that they leave me wondering about the swim-bike transition and bike-run transition, within the triathlons next year.
I want to make a fast transition and not run in my shoes (like the pro's), I understand how to get out of the shoe before getting off the bike, my question is...

How can you prevent the shoes from getting scraped on the ground when you are pushing your bike before jumping on or after jumping off? Is there a special nack to this? Or should I resign myself to damaging my shoes, but having a fast transition?

Also, I can fit my finger down the back of my shoe and have read that they should be really tight, with socks they are perfect (for an Ironman), but in the Olympic course will they be too loose if I don't wear socks (which I don't intend to), what will be the disadvantages to this? My friend's have really tight shoes, but their feet go numb after long rides, what's best?

Cheers :-O

2003-12-23 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2825

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: Transitions and shoes
I read about a solution to this somewhere. I don't remember where. The solution was something like wrapping a rubber band around one crank and the horizontal rear wheel tube. This is to keep the crank arms horizontal, so the shoes don't drag. Then when you mount and pedal, the band breaks. I'd guess a piece of tape would work too. Course this won't help with the bike to run transition. But I guess you could carry your bike if you are really concerned about it.
2003-12-23 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
There is no way to avoid letting your shoes drag on the ground if you leave them in the pedal. You could wrap a rubber band around the chain stay and slip it onto your pedal when you get off but you would lose a bit of time or you could simply carry the bike to the rack in which case you would lose a bit of energy.

If your shoes are loose enough to allow you to put your finger in, they will not be very comfortable to ride in. Also, a lot of your pedalling energy will be lost due to your feet moving being so loose. Take the time to put those socks on or buy a tighter shoe.
2003-12-27 10:37 AM

User image

Walla Walla, WA
I've done the rubber band thing; it works fine. I've also found it's not really necessary. Depending on what the transition zone is like it can be just as fast to carry your bike. I'd also suggest practicing getting into your shoes while they're in the pedals. The first time I tried to do this was in a race, and it took me several miles before my feet were finally in my shoes. As fas as wearing your shoes without socks, just remember that everything is relative. Skipping the socks will save you time, unless you get blisters so bad that you can't run. Getting your feet out of your shoes before you get into the T2 will shave a few seconds off, but only if you can do it without slowing down a ton on your bike. Just practice whatever you're going to do (and remember to get your feet wet when you start your bike - dry feet slip into shoes or socks a lot easier than wet ones) so that you don't have any suprises come race day.
good luck
-S
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitions and shoes Rss Feed