Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Somewhere in the registration process the ball got dropped (too many third parties involved to point fingers) and after two trips to Albuquerque I was able to pick up our race packets.

Received a call about 2am race day morning. One of my rely people couldn't make it do to family emergency. I needed the mileage, so I said I would go ahead and do both legs.

At about 4am arrived at the station waiting for the team to arrive. Departed about 430, and drove while everyone else slept.

Navigated my way around Albuquerque and dropped off my teammates at their transition areas.
Event warmup:

Warm up consisted of a short jog from roadside parking to the transition area. I arrived just a few minutes before the relay "scrunchy" was handed off to me.
Run
  • 1h 39m 30s
  • 10.4 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I called out my teammates name several times, he ran directly to me and I took off with the "scrunchy".

The first leg (my substitute leg)was 4.2 miles. This was a hilly area and probably the toughest leg of the course, and at the time I was thinking it was probably a good thing my co-worker/ teammate didn't make it, because she probably would killed me for assigning her that section.

Continued through the transition area and continued with my scheduled portion of the route, a 6.2 mile gradual descent.

Because of the added distance I went ahead and reverted to my marathon training run/walk program. The 4/1 run/walk ratio still kept me around 9-1/2 minutes a mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some walking and stretching, and met up with my teammates. Took team photos and had lunch at "Rudy's BBQ."

They are already asking me when the next relay is.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had I run only a single leg, I probably would have continuously run and pushed harder.

Last updated: 2006-10-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:30 | 10.4 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Along Bosque Trail
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-10-23 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: Duke City Marathon (Relay)

2006-10-28 4:27 PM
in reply to: #575846

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Subject: RE: Duke City Marathon (Relay)
Nice job doing both legs...you seem so causal about it.  Rudy's is a great post race/workout meal!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duke City Marathon (Relay) Rss Feed