Subaru
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 50s
Overall Rank = 190/289
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up earlier than wanted to and was able to go to the washroom. Had a limited breakfast of bagel with PB, yogurt and then grabbed a coffee on the way to pick up steve. Had a gel about 25 minutes before the swim with some water and took on a little bit of gatorade.
Event warmup:

did some stretching excercise but didnt go over the race route. A lot of people went to look at the hill but I stayed away thinking it was better not to know what the beast of the east was offering.

they shortened the swim event as the wave heights were quite high, peak to trough looked like 2 feet.
Swim
  • 16m 16s
  • 550 meters
  • 02m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

There was no rounding of buoys, I havent figured out how to draft yet although I think it would have been a moot point given the water conditions.
About three of four times I went to a breaststroke and probably need to reduce those.
What would you do differently?:

Need to get comfortable with powering out front for 200 meters or so in order not to get stuck behind people
Still quite slow, need to lengthen stroke. I have ordered the total immersion dvd to try and improve this part of my tri
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

They didnt' provide sep times for the transitions which is a pain. Wanted to see if there was any improvement. the transition went well, still putting cycling shorts over my running shorts. probably could invest in tri shorts at some point to reduce the transition further. got the bike going faster than a few that came out at the same time. put on my gloves, wore sunglasses and had the gels taped to my bar. gatorade was in the bottle.

go to a try short. Haven't mastered a start with the shoes already clipped in and maybe something worth trying.

The transition was much cleaner this time although did need to sit down to take off the wet suit still think I cleared out time over milton
Bike
  • 48m 10s
  • 25 kms
  • 31.14 km/hr
Comments:

had a gel on the course which was a disaster. Don't need to eat anything on the bike course and then they also dont get in the way

Bike felt quite good and the transition was better this time. However without the sep times difficult to tell what might have happened to drop my speed.

no gels
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

the transition was smooth. Probably helped to have a rack right near the transition zone. did not get lost this time and was able to turn things around relatively quickly
Run
  • 41m 27s
  • 7 kms
  • 05m 55s  min/km
Comments:

I am so slow, it is like i must be moving in slow motion. need to watch water intake right at the beginning.

walked for about 1 minute but also put a good kick on at the end. Heavy cramps following the race given the sprint.

need to add some road work in order to bring the time down. Still struggling a bit on the run.Need to understand what happens to my body off the bike given i run sub 4:50 when I run 7k on its own
Post race

Last updated: 2004-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:16 | 550 meters | 02m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/289
Performance: Below average
Suit: predator 2
Course: course was straight along the shore given the water conditions. the start was treading water and went in waves.The swim was made tougher given the very murky water
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:10 | 25 kms | 31.14 km/hr
Overall: 98/289
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: course was relatively flat except the "beast of the east" a three stage hill that was quite challenging. Need to gear the bike down a little differently next time. The hill was only 2 kms into the course which meant still challenged from the swim. relatively flat in the back and probably average high 30's on the flats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:27 | 07 kms | 05m 55s  min/km
Overall: 246/289
Performance: Below average
Course: flat course, some cross-country but not hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-07-31 10:17 PM

New user
Toronto
Subject: Grimsby - Subaru Series

2004-08-02 8:12 AM
in reply to: #42239

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Subject: RE: Grimsby - Subaru Series
Good race...any others planned for this year?
2004-08-02 8:46 AM
in reply to: #42239

User image

Expert
Northern VA
The term "slow" is a relative comment here :-) . Congratulations
2004-08-02 1:16 PM
in reply to: #42510

New user
Toronto
Hi Daryll,
I appreciate the feedback, I am going to end the year with Guelph lake II (sept 4) although some of my buddies are also taking about doing wasaga beach a little later in september. However, I started this first year with the goal of completing three events and I think I am going to stick with that plan. Next year I am going to try and ramp up the number and the length, once I feel I have a kick remaining for the run. Just did a 72k bike today and was getting real tired in the last 12k. So we will see what happens.

Good luck to you on your goals, looks like you are pushing hard on the run with some marathons coming up!! Where are you competing in the half ironman?
qb
2004-08-07 9:20 AM
in reply to: #42632

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
The half ironman is in lansing...august 15...good luck in guelph...keep working on bricks, if you are feeling dead legs off of the bike...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grimsby - Subaru Series Rss Feed