Collingwood Running Company
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 53m 47s
Overall Rank = 58/150
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 29/37
Pre-race routine:

Just a short 45 minutes along southern georgian bay to collingwood. hwy 26 nestled between niagara escarpment and the crystal clear waters of the bay. once arrived we debated shorts or tights and had a very short stretch as it was a steady cool rain. gatorade that night and following morning plus lots of fibre meant no cramps at all during race. finally i think i have the nutrition down.
Run
  • 1h 53m 47s
  • 21 kms
  • 05m 25s  min/km
Comments:

started off running around 5:18 which was quicker than i had planned. best laid plans. run first 5 at 6, middle 10 at 5:30's and finish strong with 5's on the last 5 km. The goal being under 2 hours for this first long race. Well i went out and did the opposite going hard and having a 55 55 first half and a slightly slower back half. Hitting the uphill at 18 k was tough and a few people passed me including a 14 year old girl who just kicked my butt in the last half k. Way to go for her. Wish I had started early like that.
What would you do differently?:

Actually the course lends itself to a faster start and with little experience in a long run there was no way i was doing 5 minute k's uphill for the last 3. to be under 2 in first half having run plenty of 5:30's even in sprint tri's was fantastic.
Post race
Warm down:

this was a problem cause we hopped in the car to come home. managed to eat a couple of orange quarters and a bottle of water. the only stretching was getting out of clothes soaked with rain. made for an interesting exit from the car an hour later as all joints had seized. did the Tim Conway shuffle to the back door. Soreness gone in a day though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still need to lose some weight. Amend the tri training program for more running. I have gotten about 30 seconds faster training for this.

Event comments:

very scenic, little traffic, friendly sponsor, water every 3 k's and lots of nice volunteers and police, no time chips though so watch your time as there were a few errors when results posted. would go back for sure because it is close, challenging, well organized and limited in numbers. infrastructure is good so you can go the washroom, pick up your kits and get started without too much fuss and waiting.

Last updated: 2006-09-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:47 | 21 kms | 05m 25s  min/km
Age Group: 29/37
Overall: 75/150
Performance: Good
Course: This course starts at the former rail station in downtown collingwood then follows the rail trail out of the City, with a few diversions here and there, back on to the rail trail to town of the blue mountains where you finish at the base of the hill in the village. the course is some pavement, some grass paths, a little mud but mostly crushed stone. the last 3 km are gradual uphill so save a little for your finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-25 5:57 PM

User image

New user

Owen Sound
Subject: Collingwood Half Marathon

2006-10-25 9:16 PM
in reply to: #579065

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Collingwood Half Marathon
Congrats on the race and beating that 2hour goal!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Collingwood Half Marathon Rss Feed