USM Events
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 2002/2235
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 182/185
Pre-race routine:

A week of hardcore work travelling wasn't ideal preparation - but at least I managed to swap Perth and Brisbane on the Friday rather than having to get the red eye back! Still five cities in three days and two 4am starts not ideal. Stayed at the Sheraton in Noosa on Saturday night. Up on the morning and a breakfast shake and half a Powerbar.
Event warmup:

None, one of my mistakes was not to take a spare pair of trainers. Transition closed way before my wave so no opportunity to do much of a warm-up. Got a little swim in - but not much
Swim
  • 31m 55s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Bit of biffo all the way around as you would imagine with 100+ people in each wave and waves going off every two minutes.

Better swim than London but technique still falls apart as I move on. Navingation was also still a bit of a weakness
What would you do differently?:

Sight more often, swim rather than walk on the shallow parts.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

First time hopping onto the bike. Went well.

Time in the bike split.

Practice shoes on the bike more often. Scope out transistion a little better and get there earlier to get a better racking position - think this cost me around 30-45secs if not more.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 32s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.39 km/hr
Comments:

Draft frenzy, bikes were out and saw a few people being had a word with but nobody pinged. Lots of packs going past. I was the stupid one for not catching one, but with the state of my legs I would have struggled anyway!

What was I doing all this time? My bike is one of my strong points! Maybe a couple of issues.
- No snap in my legs when I got on the bike - is this travelling? wading in the swim?
- Problem with bike computer so poor pacing, felt easy but HRM was telling me otherwise, should have pushed harder. Especially up the hill
- Poor timing of drinking (especially with Aero Drink) must practice this and try to do at a better time. Same applies to gels, see T2 comments for thoughts.
- Hadn't tightened handlebars enough so aero bars rotated down... didn't spend enough time on the bars.
- First time jumping on the bike so took a while to do up the shoes, also took too long and didn't get them tight enough.

See the above
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Time is in the bike split I think (mat on the way out on run). Stopped for a little too long to try and get some gel out of the bottle. Really need to decide what to do with this idea. Either
- More gel in the bottle
- Put a little water in the gel to make it runnier
- Go back to sachets
- Nutrition only in my drinks...
Run
  • 1h 02m 53s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 17s  min/km
Comments:

Wow, I REALLY need to harden-up here... until I got the shoulder cramp there was no reason at all for me going this slowly! People are going past you sounding like they are dying, stop thinking you're so smug and its smart pacing and you'll catch them when they slow down - you didn't did you?

HARDEN UP!!!!! Stop going too easily on these races, its a race! Relax my shoulders more when running, get the left shoulder issue sorted better. Work out what's causing it and get it dealt with.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, grabbed some Endura and a couple of slices of water melon (great idea). Then back to the hotel for a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See all of the above!

Event comments:

This race is an absolutely awesome event - everyone should do it at some point. Yes, there are issues, primarily resulting from a very busy course. But it's fantastically well organised, brilliant, support, loads of spectators and a real event feel to the whole weekend.

Last updated: 2006-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:55 | 1500 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 163/185
Overall: 1774/2235
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman Stealth
Course: A lap of one of the islands in the canals. 2minute waves with nearly 100 people in each meant for quite a busy swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:32 | 40 kms | 28.39 km/hr
Age Group: 175/185
Overall: 1884/2235
Performance: Bad
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back with one big hill and quite a tail wind on the way back in.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:02:53 | 10 kms | 06m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 182/185
Overall: 2061/2235
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back. Pretty flat but a few false flats. Lots of drink stations and hoses, well marked km markers (though I missed the first few)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-30 1:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
Subject: Noosa Triathlon

2006-10-30 10:52 AM
in reply to: #582559

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Noosa Triathlon
Great race effort! I've been to Noosa ... this time of year, in fact ... and it's just lovely! Nothing like the time spent racing to identify areas in which to improve! Happy training this summer!
2006-10-30 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Sounds like you had a tough race (that swim is a killer) and the week leading up it didn't seem to help but you battled through and finished, super effort!!!!!

I agree the Noosa tri is a massive and awesome event and everybody should have a crack at it.  See you there next year.

2006-11-02 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Good race especially considering the travel before-hand.
2006-11-08 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Sounds like you found the race about as tough as I did!

Good work on getting through it.

with the gel in teh bottle idea I don't know if you checked out the expo in noosa but we found these fantastic new bottles.  Great idea.  they have a little container inside the bottle which you can fill up with gels.  then the nozzle has three different levels.  all the way flat you can just squeeze out gel, halfway up you get gel and water and all the way up you get all water.

It is fantastic for on the bike!  I bought one in the expo and used it in the race it was brillian.  I think they are called gel-bot  I'll see if I can find a picture on the net to explain what I'm talking about.

2006-11-08 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

http://www.gel-bot.com/

just if you are interested!

2006-11-09 12:02 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Id heard about the drafting at Noosa but with 100 ppl a wave its amazing everyone fits on the course. Congrats on racing after all that travel!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Noosa Triathlon Rss Feed