Blue Sky Sports
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 3am for a nearly 2 hour drive to the event that atarted at 7:30 am.
Event warmup:

I swam out to the first buoy and back. The lake was as warm as a bath but the official temperature was 79 degrees. No wetsuits were allowed.
Swim
  • 21m 39s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started slightly to the outside and then swam to the inside and kept a low inside line all around the course. I had some traffic problems at the start but after that had fairly clear water. I swam deliberately and steady and I could have swam faster but needed to conserve energy.
What would you do differently?:

I would do it the same, it went well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I did the shoes on the bike again and I have to say it has only worked one time really well for me and that was last year. This race I just couldn't easily get into the shoes so I stopped outside of T1 and took them off the bike and put them on. From now on I'm going to just run out of T1 with the shoes in hand and then put them on. I don't like running in the shoes and running in the shoes will tear up the cleats.

Carry my shoes to the mount up line and then put them on, the shoes on the bike is history for me right now unless I get some tri shoes which are made to easily slip on on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 52s
  • 22 miles
  • 16.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew it would be a hot and humid day so I had my Profile aero bottle plus two other bottles for a total of 3 equivalent Gatorade jugs. Each bottle had two salt tablets dissolved into it and it still wasn't enough. My speedometer failed about halfway through the course so I rode the last half on cadence alone. I had several technical problems, which were all due to a new Velocity rear wheel I had just mounted on the bike. The speedometer failed because the magnetic target was loose and slid out of range. The rear brake wouldn't stay centered on the rear wheel so I got some rubbing. And finally I had not checked all the cog combinations and some of the lower cassette cogs would not stay shifted when using the granny ring of my triple front derailleur. So it was a frustrating biking day and two days later I'm still tuning the brake and derailleur.

Check out everything thoroughly. I did a easy test on flat pavement in front of my house but only when the drivetrain is really stressed do you get the feedback needed to really tune it. I finished tuning the rear derailleur on a group ride Monday after the race. Note to self: never race with untried critical components.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

T2 went Ok, not really fast, but not shabby. I just didn't feel like running just then. It was really muggy and the thought of a 10K with two 5K loops was very unappealing.

basically two things:
1. Train more
2. Train under adverse situations such as high heat and humidity more
Run
  • 1h 22m 13s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't know where to start. I was miserable and although I drank lots of fluids I was still dehydrated. It was very humid and I don't do hot and humid well. I walked half the run and from the halfway point on had mild quad and calf cramps alternately in both legs. I did run the last half mile and sprinted through the chute. Something about the finish getting near always motivates me.

Hydrate even more. I drank three Gatorades on the bike and had another in my fuel belt but it wasn't enough.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to the hot lake to try to cool off and it helped some. Todd a coworker who did the race and had a great race offered me a beer at his travel camper and it tasted great. Todd brings his whole family to these things and they are very supportive. Todd's doing IMOO (Ironman Wisconsin) this September.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual suspects; weight, training, heat, humidity, blah, blah, blah

Event comments:

The Tri-the-Parks post race food is just some fruit, cookies, gatorade, and water. It's just boring and most of the fluids were gone when I finished. Their race packet is boring as well, never anything cool or interesting.

Last updated: 2004-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:39 | 1000 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
This time as always included the run to T1. I was out of the water at 20:35 which made me feel that my swimming was on the right track. I ended up second in the swim in my age group.
Suit: Trisuit
Course: A left handed trapezoid; out to the left about 100 meters and then straight down the lake about 750 meters and then a left turn angled into shore for about 150 meters. It was a fairly short run to the T1 timer and my rack position was just inside the timer mat.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:21:52 | 22 miles | 16.12 mile/hr
I didn't wear a HRM but I'm fairly sure I was pegging my upper limit during most of the ride.
Wind: None
Course: The course exited the park, went left along a road then took a side street for about 12 miles and came back to the same road nearer the park and then right back down the park entrance road. It was fairly hilly but only had two significant hills. The majority of the course were rolling hills with some low angle but long climbs. I never really felt like I could take a break.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:22:13 | 06.2 miles | 13m 16s  min/mile
I was feeling maxed out just slightly into the run and was sure I was at near max heart rate.
Course: A half mile or so of slightly uphill trail and then a road along a golf course and then back to the start to do it again.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %4
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes