United States
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 40s
Overall Rank = 23/184
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 8/33
Pre-race routine:

I was feeling good after last week's MCM and wanted to race this weekend. I found this race online the night before.
Event warmup:

Woke up, drove to the race site, and registered. Ran about a mile with several accelerations. Took off my fleece at the last second. I was glad because I got hot quickly, even in the cold.
Run
  • 45m 40s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

A beautiful course through the Patuxent River Park and Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary. Part road, part asphalt, part gravel and dirt, and a long wooden bridge over a marsh.

I wanted to go out and start at about an 8:00 pace and see what I could do. I was not sure how my body would react after the MCM last week. I was towards the front of the pack and immediately 2 guys that looked like they were in my age group took off.

I figured what the heck and thought that I would try to hang with them. They were running about a 7:25 pace. The first 3 miles at this pace were okay, but my HR was climbing quickly. After 3 miles, I was not really sure that I could hold on this fast. At this point a woman joined our pack.

After 4 miles I really thought that I could not hold the pace, but kept at it. One of the men really took off and I let him go.

Right before mile 5, another man in my age group pulled along side. He then took off. The rest of the group sped up, but I wasn't sure that I could do it. After they pulled ahead a little, I said what the heck and sped up.

I caught back up to them at about 5.5 miles. I ran with the pack for a minute then decided to test them. I sped up. The 3 of them sped up and fell in behind me. I slowly dropped all 3 of them and put some distance between them. My HR was sky rocketing, but I dug in and finished fast.

I'm not sure when the results will be posted. I am really curious as to how I did in my age group.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 7:18 - 164
Mile 2 - 7:24 - 175
Mile 3 - 7:27 - 179
Mile 4 - 7:35 - 179
Mile 5 - 7:22 - 187
Mile 6 - 7:10 - 190!
Mile 6.2 - 1:27 - 191!

What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Running this distance at this speed is uncharted territory for me. It hurt the last few miles, but it sure feels good now!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, drank and ate.

Event comments:

This is a small race, maybe 100 participants, but very well organized. The course is very pretty and the park rangers could not have been more friendly.

The post race food was great for an event this small. Better than some of the larger races that I have been to. Water, gatorade, variety of bagels, bananas, oranges, Cliff Bars and animal crackers.

Last updated: 2006-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:40 | 06.2 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/33
Overall: 23/184
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]