Sports Barn
39F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 7s
Overall Rank = 267/
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 18/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:00 AM. Ate bagel with apricot preserves. Drank some orange juice. We drove down to Brainerd. The conversaation in the car covered, temperature coefficients for car batteries and cell-phone batteries, the effects of gasoline and natural gas prices on election turn-out, and some major sandbagging on fast we were going to go. We arrived about an hour before the race. Spent some time being amazed at how many really fit looking people showed up on Thanksgiving morning.
Event warmup:

I ran around the parking lot. The race d not start on time so it was hard to gauge the warmup. I started warming up too late.
Run
  • 40m 7s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

My oldest daughter organized this family event. Everyone did well. Oldest daughter and middle daughter finished in 47, I did 40:07, Son in law was pleased with a 34:00. Youngest daughter did not run because of a sprained ankle.

We did not hang around to cheer for the winners at the awards ceremony. Turkey and dressing was the main thing on everybodies'mind.
What would you do differently?:

Train?
Post race
Warm down:

Turned in place card. Drank a bottle of water. Headed out. Some considerable afterglow in the car. SIL was particularly pleased with his time since they just ran a marathon two weeks ago.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am not really a racer. I got passed by a lot of people in the last mile. I just jogged along.

Last updated: 2006-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:07 | 05 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/
Performance:
My official time was 40:31. The above time is from my watch from start line to finish line.
Course: The race started from the Sports Barn Fitness Center in Brainerd. It wound through some neighborhoods and then back to the start. I misjudged the finish. I picked it up coming back to the parking lot, only to realize that the course went past the building up a little hill and back to the start line. I got passed by a bunch of people on that little hill.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?