United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 44s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Left home about an hour prior to race. Paked close to sign up and start line. Walked around and got friends signed up that did not sign up prior to race.
Event warmup:

No real warmup. Did some light stretching but was hard to really do anything with the number of people that were there. Picked my spot in the 9 min mile group.
Run
  • 57m 44s
  • 6.29 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out pretty fast trying to keep up with my neighbor. I always have better times when I run with him. There were timers at each mile marker and my first two miles were roughly 8.5 min miles. I knew this was way too fast so I slowed it down a little. Made up my mind prior to race where I was going to walk so I tried to stick to this. I had planned on only walking the uphill on the bridges and the water station. Ended up running half the uphills on the bridges and then walked to the apex. Then started to run again. Seemed to work pretty well. Mile three and four I lost some focus and was draggina bit. Wished I would have focused better but once I completed mile 4 I got a second wind and was able to get in a bit of a groove. Seeing that I had a shot at my goal of an hour I was happy and this made pushing through it a bit easier. I knew my first goal of a 10min/mile pace was in the bag so the rest was gravy. not knowing what to expect having never run a 10K without a bike or a swim combined made goal setting a bit tougher. Once we got up to the finishing level many people took off running hard. THere was still a mile left and it was frustrationg to see people passing me. However I knew that there was still a mile left so I kept to my pace. With a 1/3 of a mile left and the final straight I decided to stride it out and try to finish strong. This worked well and I crossed the line. Like a moron I forgot to look at the time so I was unsure where I came in but knew I did better than expected. Also did not know they were taking pictures so I am worried what that will look like. All in all a good day
What would you do differently?:

Push through the 3 and 4 mile better, not lose focus
Start my final kick a little earlier. Will definately do this next year now that I know the course/
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found my friends, went to car and drank my protein shake and drove home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee and ankle, more training?

Event comments:

One major bad part about this race was the number of walkers they allowed to start with the runners. Spent the first mile dodging inconsiderate walkers. Some walking four abreast. THey should have been in the back where the walkers were supposed to start.

Last updated: 2006-07-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:44 | 06.29 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Course had some slight rollers and a couple of pretty small hills(mainly bridges) but nothing that was too extreme. One water station at the half way mark. Course wound through dowtown Cincinnati, then crossed over into KY for a bit and back to Ohio. Finished along the stadiums.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-11-23 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Subject: 97th Annual THanksgiving Day Race

2006-11-23 8:50 PM
in reply to: #607107

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: 97th Annual THanksgiving Day Race
GREAT RUN, JOHN! WAY TO GO!!! WOOHOOOOOO!!!

*does a little dance*

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 97th Annual THanksgiving Day Race Rss Feed