United States
36F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 19s
Overall Rank = 247/10,559
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/626
Pre-race routine:

Sit in the nice warm van until about 20 minutes left until the race. Wahch all the strangly dressed people in their running "costumes".
Event warmup:

Jog to port o potty, pee. Walk to beginning of race and find another port o potty, Pee again. Jog about 1/4 mile, sprinting to race speed for a short distance to prove to myself that I can actually still do it. Wish I would have Peed one more time. Kiss family goodby, find place to stand 10 minutes before the race and look around for people I know....no one today.
Run
  • 40m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Just like last year, I went out to fast. I have GOT to remember to look back on previous years notes to remind myself to CHILL THE HELL OUT! First 3 miles were just crazy fast! 6:15. 5:57, 6:20...then things started to get ugly. I was running this like a 5K and forgot there was still 5K to go, so I plowed thru the second half, watching each mile go slower, and slower, feeling more sluggish each minute. I found my feet again around mile 5, but by then the damage was done, and there would be no recovery. I was shooting for a time under 40, in oredr to beat last year, but added 6 seconds to last years time instead! Note to self, READ THIS REPORT NEXT YEAR!!!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Slow the hell down at the beginning, remember to not wear so much clothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Find family, take off drenched clothing, dry off and walk awhile until I stop sweating, put on dry cloths, get in Van and drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, except again I went out to fast.

Event comments:

As always, this is a race that has been done for so many years, it is run like a well made swiss clock. The "celebraties" on the mike were WAY ANNOYING, which is almost becomming a strange tradition in itself. I've done this one forever, and probably will continue to do so.....I'm just so freaking tired, I'm surprised I can type this...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:19 | 06.21 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/626
Overall: 247/10,559
Performance: Average
Course: Second Street, left on Main, Rt on 5th, Lt on Broadway, Lt on 6th, Rt on Main, Rt On Central Parkway, Rt on Eggleston, Rt on Pete Rose, Lt on Taylor Southgate Bridge, across Ohio River into Kentucky, Lt on 3rd, Rt on Saratoga, Rt on 4th, Cross Licking River Bridge into Covington, Rt on Clay Wade Bailey Bridge over the OHIO RIVER again into Ohio, Rt on 3rd, Rt on Main, Rt on 2nd and straight to finish...whew!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-23 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: Thanksgiving Day Race

2006-11-24 6:50 PM
in reply to: #607267

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Thanksgiving Day Race

You made really good time for such a big race.  It is hard to do good in a crowd like that.  I disagree about going out slower... only because you can get caught in the crowd.  But that is just my .02 and I am always in the way back of the pack.

Good Turkey Trot overall!  Be the turkey... or the mashed potatoes. 

2006-11-25 4:12 AM
in reply to: #607767

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: RE: Thanksgiving Day Race
Thanks for the note, but after this many years I think it's official....I'm a jack rabbit, and what's worse, I've made fun of people JUST LIKE ME!!! However, I don't intentionally go out to fast...It's like THE FIRST MILE I'm just finding my pace, and it's usually a fast one. Then the little voice in my head says,"Hey man, that mile wasn't very hard, I bet you can do the next one even faster", so zooom, off I go, and when MILE 2 mile marker goes by I look down and my little voice says, "HOLY CRAP, YOU ROCK!!! You are flying dude, and you'll set a PR with this smokin' pace!" Mile 3 comes up and the time comes down a smidge, but I tell myself...,"ok, this is your REAL pace, so just hold this and those early miles will be Icing On The CAKE!!!" hehehe But at around 3 1/2 miles another voice enters my head and says, "YOU IDIOT! Who did you think you were running faster than you EVER trained for? FASTER than you've PLANNED FOR ALL THESE WEEKS? Did you think you could HOLD this pace when you NEVER have before and NEVER trained for?!!!???!!! ARE YOU MENTAL?????" Then it becomes a OH NO moment, when I realize that I've made the same mistake I've made time and time again. DUH! What freaking chemical in my brain makes me forget every other time this has previously happened? "Those you forget the past are destined to repeat it." I KNOW I have a bad memory, but I thougth the PAIN associated with this kind of memory would make it stick. Guess not. So, for the next few miles, I just watch my times plumet, my legs get heavier, breathing more labored, and people start to pass me on droves. UHG! I think I need an actual human being to grab me by the shoulders JUST before my race, look me square in the eyes, and tell me DON"T BE A RABBIT THIS TIME. THEN slap the crap out of me, JUST to make sure I was paying attention, and not thinking about where I can find the next Port O Potty before hitting the starting line. That's the great part about doing a marathon with a PACER, they don't let you make these kinds of mistakes. Oh well, I'm sure NEXT YEAR will be completely different. Sure it will.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Thanksgiving Day Race Rss Feed