General Discussion Race Reports! » 39th Annual Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

39th Annual Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 26s
Overall Rank = 2536/4031
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 244/323
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 6:30 had some Kashi cereal and got dressed to go and pick up Josie at her house. We were to meet Brad, Debra, and Annie at Brad's at 8 am. I was a little late.
Event warmup:

Listen to Brad wine about how cold he was. He was wearing these short Texas Flag shorts and a sleeveless tri jersey. Pick up chips, stretch and jog in place and run the gauntlet trying to get to the starting position after the rest of the party had joined us.
Run
  • 1h 18m 26s
  • 8 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

We wound up starting around the 9:30 min area and as it turned out it was just about right for me, who would'a thunk. It took us a few minutes for us to get to the mats do to all the people that were packed in there, but as we got closer the pace started to pick up to a light jog and then once over the mats the pace picked up even more. When we made the turn down Canton there was a lot of whooping and hollering and we were all trying to figure out what it was, when Aaron came streaking down the right hand side in his feathered briefs and carrying the now infamous American Flag. I would assume they were whooping the flag and hollering the briefs. Quite a site to see if I do say so myself. Our plan was to jog the first mile all together and then let our paces work themsleves out, but Brad and Tyler would wind up warming up a lot faster than the rest of us. I would find out at about mile two that we were on a 10 minute pace and that is when the heard really started to thin out. I lost Debra and Annie right around mile 4 as they caught up with some friends of theirs and slowed their pace. Josie and I continued off on our own. As we made the turn down Houston street Josie started to pick up the pace a little and I just sort of hung back a little bit as my heart rate was up around the mid 180's, and I knew I couldn't hold that rate for long. I downed about half of my cliff blocks. When I hit my split at mile 6 I knew I was going to be going for a personal record. I downed the other half of my blocks and picked up my pace a little. I was just under and hour and I only had two miles left. I needed to pick up the pace. I was looking for Annie, Debra, and Josie at the u turn but I couldn't find any of them. I only saw Brad and Tyler way in front of me. I increased my pace to around 9:15 and finished in 1:18:26. A personal best for me as the only other time I have run this distance it wound up being 11:20 miles. When I crossed the finish line Brad said did we miss Debra and Annie or did you pass them. He had trouble believing I ran that fast too.
What would you do differently?:

Not a damn thing. This is a personal best for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Turned in our chips. Grabbed a bunch of water and one gatorade and hung out around the finish looking for Debra, Annie and Josie. Ran the gauntlet to the flag poles and did some stretching and tried to loosen up talking to friends and smiling at my race time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I went fater than I thought I could.

Event comments:

This was my first ever event to attend so I don't have anything to go by, but I will be doing this even next year and I am looking forward to it.

Last updated: 2006-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:18:26 | 08 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 244/323
Overall: 2536/4031
Performance: Good
Course: Through downtown Dallas and Deep Ellum. Gradual hills. Fun course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-11-24 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Subject: 39th Annual Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot

2006-11-24 4:26 PM
in reply to: #607644

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: 39th Annual Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot
congrats on the PR! it always makes it more fun if you can turn in a good time on race day!
2006-11-27 9:46 AM
in reply to: #607699

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex

caseyr02 - 2006-11-24 4:26 PM congrats on the PR! it always makes it more fun if you can turn in a good time on race day!

Thanks, it felt good to turn in that time.  I surprised myself.  I just hope that I can continue to build off of that time.

2006-11-27 10:14 AM
in reply to: #607644

User image

Regular
Awesome run!  Don't you just love it when you run faster then you think you can?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 39th Annual Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot Rss Feed