United States
Fort Worth YMCA
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 11/63
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine was a walk to my car after the 5K. I did not quite make it back early enough. I was still about a tenth of a mile away when the 10K race started. I had to sprint to get into the group and that only got me mid pack. The time listed here is the gun time. My Garmin shows I did a bit better.
Event warmup:

Hmmm.... I did a 5K race then the tenth of a mile sprint to catch the race. How is that for a warm up?
Run
  • 48m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't know about the start as I WAS NOT THERE. As I said I was about a tenth of a mile away when I heard the siren and seen the mass of people starting to move. I sprinted to catch up, then once I got into the MOP I could not move. So many people and a very narrow street made any forward movement faster then the crowd impossible. I nearly tripped over someones dog before ditching the street and ran across the lawns. After the first turn the street widened some and made going a bit easier. I still got blocked a few times. I passed people the whole time except at the beginning with people sprinting. I think I passed everyone later in the race except for a few. The first half of the race I stayed at a constant 7:40 or so (according to my Garmin). Mile 5 was 7:28, Mile 6 was 6:45. The Garmin shows that I ran 6.49 miles in 49 minutes. Problem is, I forgot to stop the timer when I crossed the finish line. I only remembered when I was in the porta-potty a minute or two AFTER I finished.
What would you do differently?:

Not walk to my car in between race!!! Get to the start earlier and toward the front.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to my car with two cases of Dannon yogurt. Hey they were giving them away - so I took advantage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

PEOPLE!!! Too many people on the course. Need to get to the front.

Event comments:

According to Garmin they started three minutes early. That would have gotten me a little closer. I think that there was too many people on the narrow street that they started on. They need to rethink starting the 10K on that part of the street.

Last updated: 2006-11-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:28 | 06.21 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/63
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Again, the course was in a residential area. Just more of it. The 10K also added some decent hills into the mix. Made the course a bit more difficult. I like that.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-11-24 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Subject: Turkey Trot

2006-11-26 12:36 PM
in reply to: #607791

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Turkey Trot
Oh, Nickel and Dime Part Two

It would have been cool for the RD to have allowed enough time between the two races for a bit more of a recovery. (And a trip to the car)

Still and all, (Even with your Pre-Race charge to the start) great results. Seems to suggest your getting close to your BQ Time. (We have the same Qual Time)

Good luck with your March to Patriot's Day
2006-11-27 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
glad to see your time was still really good, considering having to start with the commoners.....
2006-11-28 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

11th place! Imagine what you would have done if you had started with everyone...

very impressive.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turkey Trot Rss Feed