Toledo Road Runners
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 48s
Overall Rank = 175/551
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up to find my wife pinning Christmas lights on to one of my running sweatshirts. Asked why she was doing that. She said that she wanted to do the Holiday Hustle today. After my first cup of coffee, came to the conclusion that I had no idea what a Holiday Hustle was (figured that we were going line dancing). She informed me that it was a 5k. After the second cup of coffee, came to the conclusion that it was still odd that she was pinning Christmas lights to my sweatshirt. She informed me that the race was at night and everybody was supposed to be lit up. Got it.
Event warmup:

Once we registered, I finished the Ginerbread Latte that I picked up on the way and we learned that anybody who beat santa in the race got free movie passes. Figured that wouldn't be too hard because the dudes got to be at least 300 years old and that "belly that shakes like a bowl full of jelly" wasn't exactly going to be an asset in a 5k.

After I finished my warmup, I saw santa swapping out his boots for some New Balance and his coat for some Under Armour. Let's just say that rumors about santa just aren't true--underneath that coat and those baggy pants, santa's ripped; he looked like he just got back from a Baywatch reunion.

At this point, I was regretting the Ginerbread Latte and wishing that I had chosen something a little more condusive to racing because I knew that santa was going to bring it.
Run
  • 23m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Right before the gone went off they announced that santa would be starting at the back of the back. Knew the field was about 500, so I figured that I would have about a one minute head start on him (not a chip timed event). So my strategy was to take it out hard, trying to hold him off as long as possible.

So this run got off to a bad start. Two kids lined themselves up and the front and tripped as soon as the gun went off. People were doing their best to avoid them, but trying to stop a surge of 500 runners is almost impossible. I helped get one of the kids back on his feet and a race official pulled him to the side--hope he was OK, couldn't see what happened to the other one.

Took the first mile out at about 7:00min but it felt a lot harder than that. Wanted water at the aid station but I was caught in the middle of a pack and couldn't get to it. At the turn around, the battery back for my lights flew out of my pocket. Miracuously the batteries stayed in but I decided I better carry it the rest of the way. Made the turn around feeling slighty more tired than usual, but I could see that I still had a 300yard lead on santa so I kept pushing.

I am not sure what got into ole santa, but with less than a mile to go, I hear a little girl who was spectating yell, hey look its santa--crap he had caught me. As he came up on me he complimented me on my lights (Brandy had pinned them in the shape of a Christmas tree). We chatted for about fifteen seconds and then he flew out of sight.

Since I was wiped anyway, I decided to turn it down a notch and run the last half mile at a more relaxed pace. A couple of kids asked if my tree lights would blink so I manually worked the on/off switch back and forth, I think it fooled them as they seemed to be impressed.

What would you do differently?:

Drink more water the day before (and the morning of). Was definately dehydrated going to into this race. Don't think I could have beaten santa (he posted a time below my PR), but I might have been able to give him a little better run.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water. Considered changing my diet to just cocoa and cookies. After all it works for santa, he's totally buff and can run a sub 22:00 5k.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being dehyrdated.

Event comments:

A fun race. It was fun running along a parade route where there were tons of spectators cheering you on.

Last updated: 2006-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:48 | 03.11 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 175/551
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back course through the streets of Maumee. A good portion of it was along the night parade route so there were tons of spectators.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-25 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Holiday Hustle 5k

2006-11-28 10:30 PM
in reply to: #608162

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Holiday Hustle 5k
Dash away Dash away Dash away all......  Great run for a last minute decision and a rescue to boot.  Great year you have had, you'll beat Santa next year.
2006-12-01 6:42 PM
in reply to: #608162

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Holiday Hustle 5k

This RR is hilarious - first of all, your laid-back bemusement at your wife's plans for your evening, then Santa having the footwork of Dasher.

Way to go stopping to help Kid #1 and flashing your lights for Kids #47 & 48.  Sounds like you & your wife had a great hustle.   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Holiday Hustle 5k Rss Feed