General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to choose a bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-28 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
Kirkland, WA
Subject: How to choose a bike
I'm looking for a bike for my first tri in August. I have 2 hand-me-down bikes that are both terribly uncomfortable, so I know there's a process to getting the "right" bike.

Please send suggestions on books I can read on the subject, helpful websites, or bike shops that are really helpful for the beginner. I'm in Kirkland, near Seattle.

Also, what is the price range I should expect? Road bike or mountain bike? Bike shoes worth the money? Anything you want to warn me about when purchasing? I may need to attach a child trailer (like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2368492708&categ... for workouts.

Thanks!
Julie

2003-12-29 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2962

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: How to choose a bike
You want to go for leisure rides with a child's bike attachment and also you want to race or do triathlons; that being the case, you will need two separate bikes. Start by finding out if the two bikes you have are the right size for you. Go to this site and you will get a fairly good idea:

http://wrenchscience.com/WS1/default.asp

What are the makes and brands of the bikes and the components (including saddles and wheels)? You may be able to simply tune one of your existing bikes to fit you in order to go for leisure rides with your child. Then, if you still need a bike for triathlons or road racing--two different bicycle set-ups--you will have to decide how much you are willing to spend not just on the bike, but also on the helmet, shoes, padded shorts, and jersey. Do you want a tri specific bike (ex: Cervelo P2K) or a combination tri-road (ex: Cervelo Soloist)? One good site to ask cycling related questions is bicycling.com on the "buying" forum. Don't hesitate to email me if you should have specific questions.

2003-12-29 4:27 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
I would suggest going to a local bike shop and letting them size you. Tell them what you are looking to do and your goals. Then see if they have any demos in your size that you can tryout. I agree that it would probably be in your best interest to take one of your existing bikes and adapt it for leisure.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-12-29 6:13 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2003-12-29 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2988

Regular
Kirkland, WA
Definitely interested in a sale! Let me know what the cousin says.
Thanks!
Julie
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to choose a bike Rss Feed