General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time based training plans, total or actual logged? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-04 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Time based training plans, total or actual logged?

Question, on a training plan that is time based, is the time suppose to include any rest breaks or is it the actual time spent working only?

e.g. Plan states 59 minutes for a swim WO. I did 59:38 total and afterwards calc'd that 43:54 was actual swimming (I know I need to work on the break times!).

What should be logged??? 

2006-12-04 10:49 AM
in reply to: #615073

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brookhaven, PA (Philly Burbs)
Subject: RE: Time based training plans, total or actual logged?
I think you have to read into the workout a little. 59 minutes - is it intervals or straight swimming? If its intervals, I would think theres some rest periods built into that.

When I log my time I log the total, not the actual. My reasoning is that for the 2 minutes betwen intervals, my HR is still rather elevated, so I am "working" even though I am not working. Makes sense in my mind.

On the bike for example, I start the watch when I start turning the pedals. I have rest periods built into my WO, but I never turn the watch off. However, if I were to get off the bike and get a drink, I would pause it. Same with running.

I cant be bothered to be a slave to the watch. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to get your timing down to the second.
2006-12-04 3:49 PM
in reply to: #615073

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Time based training plans, total or actual logged?

I like to log all the time including rest breaks.  The clock doesn't stop in a race.

It's probably most important in swimming.  If you see that average time per lap going down over the course of weeks and months, you're either swimming faster or resting less.  Both good things.

I just HAVE to ask.  What kind of plan are you following that lists planned time as 59 minutes????  Why couldn't they just say 60?  Or an hour? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time based training plans, total or actual logged? Rss Feed