Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 44s
Overall Rank = 2320/3648
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 227/290
Pre-race routine:

Coffee, cereal
Event warmup:

TRY AND HUDDLE WITH GROUPS OF PEOPLE TO STAY WARM!
Run
  • 2h 24m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 03s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Stay warm

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-12-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:24:44 | 13.1 miles | 11m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 227/290
Overall: 2320/3648
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-06 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: City of Angels Half Marathon
The City of Angels Half Marathon Race Report: a metaphor to life long friends.

I can go on and on about things so I have to corral my thoughts and just get them down.

First off, remember that guy Ray that I met on the bus on the way to Venice Beach for the LA Tri (Sept 2006)? I never got to see him again except before the swim and as I passed him on the run. It’s a small world when, out of an estimated 5,000 people who ran the LA Half Marathon, I pass a guy at the mile 11 mark and it’s Ray. We were like, HEY!!! I KNOW YOU!!! I told him to email me. He said I zoomed by him on the bike and that was the last he saw me. And that was in September – three whole months ago. So that was a pleasant surprise.

Back to the day…

It started off with denial at around 2 AM… and every hour thereafter. I was thinking about not running. Calling Steve at 6 AM and tell him I’m not going. I got up at 5 AM, made coffee, got my running gear together and waited for Steve. Even at 6:30 I was thinking, if he doesn’t show then it’s a good enough excuse for me not to go. Well, Steve and Mindy showed up and Mindy dropped us off at Griffith Park.

We walked about a quarter of a mile to the staging area and we froze our butts off all the way there. It was still dark and it was cold! It was 41 degrees!

We did a little jog which didn’t help. We found groups of people huddled together so for a while, we jumped in. The body heat of the group actually helped!

I had decided to wear my long running pants, gloves, a short sleeve tech shirt, arm warmers and a fleece cap that covered my ears. And I was still freezing my off. I don’t know how Steve handled it just wearing running shorts, a tech shirt, a hat, and a hooded pullover. A majority of people were dressed for the weather, the rest were shivering while dressed for a run in the California sun.

We got in line for the port-o-potties but after 30 minutes and not even halfway there, we decided to head for the starting line. There were maybe forty port-o-potties! We figured we’d find one on the course and make a stop. The map indicated more than enough port-o-potties for the run.

So we bared the cold for an hour and finally, at 7:45 AM the race started.

Two miles in and the sun was upon us and we set our sights on a no-line port-o-pottie! I quickly did my business, slipped off my jacket and arm warmers and I was good to go for the rest of the day. Steve had thrown his pullover somewhere off to the side between mile one and two. It would be a homeless wonderland if the homeless just followed the route and picked up the clothing that were thrown aside at the start of the race.

Other than the fact that the cold had really screwed with my joints, the first six miles were easy. But the cold had an obvious effect on my left knee and right ankle. They were stiff and sore and tight.

I started to ‘feel’ the run around mile seven – right after the Hyperion Bridge. We ran through Silver Lake and it seemed everything we came across was a hill. At mile 11 I ran into Ray, gave him my email addy and asked him to email me. The last few miles were going to be a struggle.

Running up Sunset was tough. First, we were tired. Second, all the restaurants were opening and we had to take in the smells of fresh tortilla, fried chicken, and even pizza! It was awesome and torturous at the same time!

And where were all the bands on the street that they promised? There was a church that had a drummer drumming to a CD or something which was nice, but there werent’t any other bands before that. And that was like late in the race!

At mile 12 there was a cool percussion set under the over-pass, which really got us movin’. Boy, the beat of the music sure helps sometimes!

And when we finally made that last turn for the finish I felt like I was dragging my feet. My legs were shot. My energy was there, my breathing was fine, but my legs were absolutely on their last… well… leg!

We crossed the finish line together with a feeling of accomplishment.

That race would have been absolute boredom if it weren’t for my pal, Steve!

We talked most of the way through. We were reminiscent of the past. It’s funny, Steve said, “Just think, when we’re like 80 we’ll look back and say, ‘remember the day we ran the half mary?’” And here we are, close to 40 and saying, “Remember when we were like the first to ever get online with our Commodore 64s and post at a local Bulletin Board?”

That was 25 years ago!

Steve and I have gone our separate ways as we left high school. But something or another always brings us together: Martial Arts, paintball, and now running.

Steve was there, a year ago, when I ran my very first 5K race. He had one race under his belt and I agreed to do a 5K after only 2 weeks of training. He was there, again, with me on my first half mary. Again, he already had a half mary under his belt which he did in a little over two hours (2:05 I believe). And here he is, hangin’ there with me through two hours and twenty four minutes of a life changing, future life reminiscing event – until the very end. He could have done it faster but… he did it with me: a metaphor to our life as friends. Friends can go separate ways, never to ever reconnect, one leaving the other behind and just finish life on their own. It seems no matter what, Steve and I will always be starting things and most likely finishing things up together. Just like the race.

Anyway, here are our splits:
Mile 1: 0:10:49
Mile 2: 0:11:33 (port-o-pottie break)
Mile 3: 0:09:46
Mile 4: 0:10:38
Mile 5: 0:10:12
Mile 6: 0:10:47
Mile 7: 0:10:50 (Hyperion Bridge)
Mile 8: 0:10:43
Mile 9: 0:10:59
Mile 10: 0:11:12 (running into Ray at the end of mile 10!)
Mile 11: 0:11:27 (the torture of food upon us)
Mile 12: 0:11:00 (running to the beat of drums)
Mile 13: 0:10:22
Mile 13.58: 0:04:25 (a blistering 7:45 per mile pace!)
FINAL: 2:24:43 for a 10:39 min/mile average pace.

OFFICIAL CHIP TIME: 2:24:44 (My garmin was off by -.01 seconds!)

There were 5,000 scheduled to race. Only 3648 crossed the finish line.

We actually ran 13.58 miles and not the 13.1 miles a Half Mary is supposed to be. I can’t even imagine having to do it again to make it a full marathon.

Yet…

LA MARATHON… HERE WE COME!

Official Results:
City of Angels Half Marathon - Half Marathon
Place Overall: 2320 out of 3648
Men: 1407 out of 1839
M 35-39: 227 out of 290
AgeGrade: 41.91% Place: 2781
FINISH: 2:24:44 pace: 11:03
10K: 1:08:03 pace: 10:58
Chip Time: 2:24:44

Edited by TriathleteNut 2006-12-06 5:17 PM

2006-12-06 5:30 PM
in reply to: #618016

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: RE: City of Angels Half Marathon
Great job! It was difficult going from freezing cold to a glorious warm day in a matter of minutes.

My GPS showed 13.27 and I ran pretty damn close to the cones. But event was certified so we both must have just gone off somewhere just a bit.
2006-12-06 9:05 PM
in reply to: #618021

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
GolfMark - 2006-12-06 3:30 PM

Great job! It was difficult going from freezing cold to a glorious warm day in a matter of minutes.

My GPS showed 13.27 and I ran pretty damn close to the cones. But event was certified so we both must have just gone off somewhere just a bit.

It could have been my run to the port-o-potties on mile 2.
2006-12-07 8:34 AM
in reply to: #618016

User image

Master
San Francisco
TrianthleteNut, congrats on your first half mary. Great job. That was a great race report too. What a funny coincidence to bump into Ray like that. Nice to be able to run with your buddy Steve too.

We're such cold weather wimps in california. The rest of the country must laugh at us. I did CIM in sacramento the same day as your race and I kept looking at the weather forecast all evening trying to figure out what I was going to wear since I hand't run in weather like that (it was mid 30s at the start, but fortunately no wind) all year.

Happy training for the LA marathon! You'll be able to look back and say how easy a half mary distance is since you'll probably end up doing that distance for your "rest" weeks once you're deep into your marathon training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Angels Half Marathon Rss Feed