General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackrabbit Sports Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jackrabbit Sports Indoor Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brooklyn, New York
United States
Jackrabbit Sports
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 8/22
Age Group = Male-all ages
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6:30am, had a pb&j and some coffee. Gathered up my gear and biked over to the YMCA (about 2.5 miles)
Checked in, got my (very cool) shirt, and waited around for about an hour for my heat to start.
Event warmup:

Other than the aforementioned bike ride, I did some stretching/foam rolling in one of the unused yoga studios, then just sat on the pool deck and listed to my ipod.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 540 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Goal was to swim as many laps as possible in 10 minutes in this tiny 20-yard pool. I went out waaaay to fast (due to the hardcore tri-girl that was sharing my lane. She was faaaaast) Legs got tired quickly, but I slowed my pace down and never had to change to breast stroke or anything like that. Overall, my time was right where I expected it to be.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more, and swim at my pace, not someone else's who's obviously faster than me.
Transition 1
  • 15m
Comments:

We had 15 minutes to change clothes, go upstairs to the spin room, adjust the spin bikes, and start. Put on my tri-shorts and a sleeveless shirt, got water bottles set up, had a gel.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 30m
  • 17.4 miles
  • 34.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Obviously, the speed/distance isn't for real (and if it is, all's I can say is, "now when's that Tour de France thing?"). It's based on a computer that was installed on the flywheel of the spinbike.
Still, I got up to a high cadence quickly and stayed in the 34-35 mph (120rpm) cadence area for the whole race. I praciced in spinbikes a lot (since I've got no room for a trainer in my apt), and it really helped me. Had a bottle of Accellerade on the bike

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 10m
Comments:

Had another gel and changed my shirt.

Brought a duffel bag. It was annoying having everything (gels, bottles, shirts, ipods, towels) rolled up in towels. Other than that, nothing.
Run
  • 20m
  • 2.35 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, probably went out a little fast. My goal was to go at 8:30, but I had never run at 2.0 incline for this long, and I really started to feel it. I had to dial it back a little about 12 minutes in. I did ok, ultimately, but I think if I had started out slower, I would have finished with a little more in the tank and had something left for the end. I asked the referee how much time was left, and she said, "40 seconds", so I cranked it up as fast as I could go, when I heard her say, "Oh, wait, sorry--eight seconds. Seven, six, five..."

Again, better pacing, more practice.
Post race
Warm down:

Got off the treadmill, thanked the RD and the vol's, talked briefly to someone about the Brooklyn Tri Club, which I'll have to seriously look into this Spring. Biked home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to practice running and swimming faster. Up to now, most of my workouts have been about volume.

Event comments:

Pretty well-run, I thought. Good facilities at the Y. The volunteers were mostly high-school kids, but they did a good job. Some kind of race participant goody-bag(coupons, a water bottle, a gel, something other than just the t-shirt) would have been nice. Still, it was definitely a fun way to spend a Sunday morning, and well worth the $50 entry fee. If I finish in the top 12 men, I qualify for the finals in March. I didn't see a lot of other guys, and felt like I did pretty well compared to those I saw.

Last updated: 2006-11-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 540 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 8/22
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Itty-bitty 20-yard pool. Narrow lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 15:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:00 | 17.4 miles | 34.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 7/22
Performance: Good
HR 136-150. Mostly at 145.
Wind: None
Course: Spinbike. Good music playing in the room. Highly reccomend spinning to Stairway to Heaven.
Road:   Cadence: 122
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 10:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 02.35 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 10/22
Performance: Average
HR was around 175 more most of the run. Got into the 180's briefly.
Course: Treadmill run at 2.0 incline
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-10 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Jackrabbit Sports Indoor Triathlon

2006-12-10 5:02 PM
in reply to: #620348

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Jackrabbit Sports Indoor Triathlon
Great job - that will be cool if you qualify for finals! Good luck! And, if you liked the people you met, be sure to join the tri club....you'll be happy you did.
2006-12-10 7:29 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
That sounds like it was fun!

Great job!
2006-12-11 8:29 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Sounds like fun times.  I was at the 9th st Y this weekend and completely forgot about the competition.  Glad you did so well!  If you join the Brooklyn Tri Club let me know... I havn't been gutsy enough to go to a practice yet.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackrabbit Sports Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed