United States
Don Connolly Inc.
20F / -7C
Total Time = 22m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/62
Pre-race routine:

Awake from 11 to 12 with cranky 18 month old. Awake from 3 to 4 AM with 5 year old with a painful ear infection. Up at 5 when the dog throws up on the carpet. Planned to go to the race as a family (lots of events for the kiddos) but with sick kids it just wasn't happening. Bad sleep and hectic morning left me a bit discombobulated on way to race.

Cold morning, in the 20s.
Event warmup:

Checked in inside the convention center, ran about 5 minutes outside to acclimate to the cold temps. Had troupble deciding how many layers to wear.
Run
  • 22m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt a bit out of it due to poor sleep and hectic morning. I had a goal to place in my AG, so I started near the front and started strong. RIght away I felt a bit "off" with my run. I had some aches in my upper body and sort of resigned myself to not breaking any PRs today. However, I hit the first mile at 7 minutes, which was on pace to PR and break 22 minutes... so I sucked it up and refocused.

After mile 2, however, I felt my shoelace coming loose, and, even worse, my insides started to feel a bit "bubbly"... like I needed to find a bathroom, fast. I knew I was on a good pace, but I worried about both my shoe and my insides, so my last mile I had a bit of distraction.

Ended up at 22:11, which is a PR and I'm happy with it. I still feel as if I was "off" today though.

Oh, and also, my shoe was not untied. THe dam* jingle bells that everybody was given had sawed right through my shoelace. My brand new, only worn twice, first "real" pair of running shoes shoelace.
What would you do differently?:

Better sleep (out of my control last night). Not go out to eat the night before (my upset stomach).

Not tie the dam* jingle bells onto my shoelaces.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some cookies, had some free Starbucks. Got some swag for my son and daughter who were supposed to run the kids' race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor sleep, upset stomach

Event comments:

Very well organized. Good, fun atmosphere.

Last updated: 2006-12-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:11 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Over the Ohio River from KY into Cincinnati. Long climb up onto bridge, which was repeated in the last mile on the way back. Otherwise, flat and nice.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes