General Discussion Triathlon Talk » former skeptic discovers good shoes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-09 8:09 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: former skeptic discovers good shoes!
Back from my first run after purchasing running specific shoes (Brooks Adrenaline) at a store where the folks really know what they're doing. Been running in New Balance 407's (soft and squidgy sole) for a month and, since I pronate some, I've been running on inflamed tendons all over the place from the knee down. I just figured it was 'cuz I'm 40lbs overweight -- those of us who're fat have to suffer to lose the poundage, right? Man, what a difference. WOW.

I just had to share the exhiliration with folks who'd understand.

cheers
madeye

2004-08-09 11:47 PM
in reply to: #45691

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: former skeptic discovers good shoes!
aweosme huh?  happy feet are good.
2004-08-10 5:51 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Love my Adrenalines. I'm on my third pair.

Remember to replace them every 300-500 miles.

Edited by the bear 2004-08-10 5:52 AM
2004-08-10 7:45 AM

Regular
Yeah, it gets so repetitive, but you can't tell runners enough. Get good shoes!
2004-08-10 9:33 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
I am partial to the Brooks Beast, but can attest to the right shoe making a difference.
2004-08-10 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
Boy, I am having lots of pain in my knees when i run. i do have brooks beast running shoes but they are about 3 years old(never really ran in them until 3 weeks or so ago). as i've been running more and more over the past couple of weeks, the pain is getting worse. yesterday i started running and i immediately had to stop and walk. i have decided that i may need a new pair of shoes or a trip to an orthopedic doctor for a knee evaluation. i too am overweight. i'm thinking that although i never put running miles on these shoes until recently, that just wearing them for the past 2-3 years has caused some brake down. i trained for and ran a marathon in a different pair of brooks beast in '97 and am really partial to them.
Madeye, how did you know you had inflamed tendons, what did it feel like. if i new the answer was to go out and get a new pair i would go today. i'm sure it couldn't hurt getting new shoes. my knees don't hurt walking around, swimming, or cycling. the inside of my left knee is tender to the touch though.
anyone have any advise, experience or wisdom to offer? it would be grately appreciated! anyway, madeye, i'm glad you are now pain free.

tbone

2004-08-10 1:34 PM
in reply to: #46013

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
As far as the inflamed tendons, it's just a guess that it's tendons to blame, but the outsides of my shins were achy in a very non-muscle-soreness sort of way and actually sore to the touch, and when i first started running the tendons around my knees were doing the same thing.
I was jumping rope for up to 10 minutes at a time with no pain before I started running, so I knew it wasn't the impact of my vast bulk causing my knees to ache. Seems that most likely the pronation while running was putting undue lateral stress on my joints. Weight training my quads is helping with the knee stability. That combined with ibuprofin, ice after running, an ace bandage for the 2 days it was really bad, and, strangely enough, speeding up from a steady jog to an actual run solved the knee problem, but then I started getting the soreness in the shins that got worse as I ran more.

Don't know if new shoes are a cure-all, but they certainly helped me. Especially being overweight, there's even more stress on all the body parts as my feet slam into the ground and roll, so the difference to me was very noticable. They allow me to concentrate on good form and actual running instead of doing strange dances to avoid the shin pain. I think the ony sure thing to do is good ol RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation...let 'em heal before running again. I, er, didn't take the rest part of that advice but I think I'm really really lucky that mine got better despite my stupidity and bullheadedness.

Good luck with it!
Cheers
2004-08-10 1:50 PM
in reply to: #46013

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Another thought (sorry) ... as a former marathoner and current multi-sporter, maybe you're starting out too hard on the running b/c you have higher expectations for yourself in that area? I don't know about you, just a thought...seems that (myself included) many people who used to do a particular sport expect way more of their bodies in that sport even if they haven't done it in awhile, and for most people it just doesn't work that way.
For me it's tennis...I pick up a racquet and my brain goes "WOOT! Let's go" and my joints get _very_ irritated at all that abrupt stopping, regardless of the fact that I'm more fit now than when I actually played tennis. :P
2004-08-10 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
i guess that's possible although i have been purposefully trying not to do too much too soon as far as the running goes. if you look at my training logs, you will see i've only been doing 20-25 min run/walk sessions, gradually running a little more than walking. It still may be more than my overweight body is ready for though. thanks madeye-i am going to keep this in mind also.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » former skeptic discovers good shoes! Rss Feed