BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sharona1973's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-01-29 10:14 AM
in reply to: #671025

User image

Champaign
Subject: RE: Sharona1973's Group - FULL
Good morning, good morning, good morning!

I apologize to everyone for failing to check in on you all this weekend. If you all couldn't tell, I was coming to a bit of a breaking point mentally, not so much with tri training, though it definitely got affected. I needed to just take a breather from most everything, and outside of spending yesterday with my family for my mom's birthday, the weekend was really spent in as quiet solitude as I could.

A breif hx: if I haven't already mentioned, my partner and I moved to IL from DC this summer. I NEVER, EVER, thought I would be back in the midwest. We both grew up in the midwest, went to college 90 miles east of here, so we know and understand the midwest. In the last 7 years I/we've made several moves: from Boston to Minneapolis, Minny to DC, and now DC to IL (for my partner's job). Each move took some time to adjust to, like they normally do. In some ways we were ready to leave DC, and I knew this transition would be difficult, but I didn't realize how difficult. I had the BEST job in DC, the BEST staff to work with, and was finally building some really strong friendships. Though I'm not totally hung up on my career, I knew where it was going out there, what the possibilities were, and I had great mentors looking out for me. We knew we were moving in May of 2005, but didn't actually move until May 2006, then I didn't come out here until September, so it's been a work in progress. Took a while to set up my job, then it took them two months to find me a computer.

I knew it would be a transition back to the midwest, but I honestly NEVER thought it would be this tough. Thank god I found this group, otherwise I think I would have "broke" (that's a bit dramatic, I realize) even earlier. Everything has turned upside down, and what once was finally getting settled (what I wanted to do with my life), we move here and the opportunities are few and far between for my field (policy work), and now I'm in a job that they've never had before, and they are looking to me to guide it. I know I'm capable, but it's like working on my own, really, and that's something I've never really done. Always had a team, and though I could lead a project, there was always someone watching over me. Not now. Though I am accountable to my supervisor, I'm pretty much running my own show. Eventually I believe I will grow to love it, but for now, it's pretty lonely. I crave being around people, laughing, working hard, but having fun.

Anwyay, I've been rambling on for FAR too long, but felt like I needed to give a bit of a reason for my absence. I realized last night that perhaps it's time for me to remove the big chip I have on my shoulder about us being here, and that as much as I talk about the great opportunities we have here, I need to start actually believing in them. Because we do have a lot to be thankful for.

Ok, enough psycho babble. I guess that wasn't very brief, and I'm sorry you had to witness that. But I hope it's ok to vent.

As for SHARON's ideas, I think they are fabulous! I'm all about the tri in 24, as well as the minutes challenge. Either is fine with me. I've been thinking of trying to keep the 30/30 challenge, but it would be nice to spice it up a bit, and this is a good idea. Would we try for one tri-n-24 a week, or two? I'm game.

This week is going to be a bit quiet as well...I'm leaving on Wednesday to go back to DC (yeah) and won't return until next tuesday...but I hope you all know that I'm thinking of you gals everday, and pushing you on, even if I've been a bit silent. You ladies inspire me everyday to reach beyond my fears and weaknesses, and even though we've only "been together" for a month or so, the impact is more than you can know. You have reminded me that for the most part, we control our own destiny. How we respond to things will impact what happens. I needed to be reminded of that. THANK YOU.

I'll do my best to catch up, and get back on track. I promise to not use this as my therapy session again.

2007-01-29 10:41 AM
in reply to: #625419

User image

Erin-

Thank you for being so candid.  I am sorry for the chalenges you are facing, but please know it is always okay to take time for yourself in the middle of all of this.  I am discovering a healthy mind and spirit are as important as a healthy body and all three take time to train and nurture.

As for the alone time working, I understand what you mean very well.  Less than a year ago I was on a staff of 60 with 120 kids around me all the time.  Suddenly most of my day is spent alone, writing, researching, and now, thankfully, stalking all of you on this site. LOL  I understand and I, too, am so glad you are here.  Be kind to yourself today.

2007-01-29 12:30 PM

User image

San Francisco, CA
Happy Monday everyone. First of all, just wanted to say "hang in there" to Erin. I'm glad that you have been able to find support within the pack because you have been a big support to us as well. I hope that things will fall into place for you soon...we are all rooting (howling) for you!

As for the February challenge...
My weekly tri goals would be:
swim 2X30
bike 1X60
run 3X30
other workout goals:
yoga 1X60
strength training 3X15
walking (dogs) 3X20

Wow that adds up to be alot.
I'm not quite there yet...but hopefully soon.

The 24 hour tri thing sounds cool too. Maybe we can all plan a weekend where we do the tri "together" or something? Maybe that can be our end of the month goal. I know that would give me the added motivation to get my running up so that I can hit my 5k non-stop by the end of the month.

Edited by tunidawn 2007-01-30 11:17 AM
2007-01-29 4:42 PM

User image

Champaign
Hey all - you gals rock. Have i said that before?

First, many thanks for the support and letting me vent, I really appreciate it. I can't thank you all enough.

Second, today when I was at the co-rec to sign up to become a member (i have a date with the elliptical machine tonight), they have this contest that made me think of you all. It's similar to Sharon's idea, but instead of doing everything in a 24-hour period, the challenge is to complete an Ironman distance triathlon in the course of a month. So participants have the month of feb to complete 2.4 miles of swimming, 112-miles of biking, and 26.2 miles of running. Not certain if that is below or above people's normal training habits (it's quite a bit above mine). They are even allowing mileage accrued on ellipitcal machines, and obviously any type of activity on the normal disciplines (inside and out).

It doesn't have to be this month, but thought it would be a possibility in the future!

Hope everyone is having a good day. Will check up on you gals from this weekend and today this evening...Eek
2007-01-29 7:22 PM

User image

San Francisco, CA
Wow I love that idea Erin! Isn't it funny that it sounds like alot to do in a month, but those people do it ALL AT ONCE!!?!? That's some crazy stuff and maybe one day will be us.
2007-01-29 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

Erin: Thanks for sharing with us what you're going thru.  Whenever you're down or overwhelmed always remember what you said : ..."we do have a lot to be thankful for" .  It doesn't make everything better, but it does help to cope.  And don't ever apologize for venting.  Dawgs are the best listeners, and if you can't talk to a dawg, who can you talk to?

Sharon:  I love both ideas.  I like Erin's idea as well tho I don't know if I would be able to cover all the distances for an Ironman in a month.

Dawg Pack:  You gals are the greatest.  Keep up the good work. 

2007-01-29 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

I LOVE the conversation we're having!!

February Challenge: These are just ideas that I'm throwing out to you to see which ones you want to do. You are free to continue the 30/30 Challenge as you would like or switch to the minutes challenge. For the Minutes Challenge, just do what T did and write down your own minutes that you would like to meet for the month.

Triathlon Challenge: I love the Ironman Triathlon in a Month Challenge. I think that and the 24 hour Triathlon Challenge can be an ongoing monthly challenge. I would say that we could set a once a week 24 hour tri challenge and a Ironman a month challenge.

Remember, all of these challenges are just challenges to help you with some goals during the month. I don't want you guys to get too bogged down with details or worried about getting things done. The main thing is to have fun with it. These should be tools, not hinderances.

So there we have it....to recap....

1. Make your own minutes challenge for whichever or all sports and put it down where you can keep track of it. Short term goals area would be a good place.
  2. We will have a 24 hour triathlon challenge once a week and the distances can be whatever distance you want, doesn't matter, just do all 3 sports in 24 hours.
  3. We will also have an Ironman challenge once a month and that's where we try to get the distances for the Ironman distances in one month. You can count treadmill and elliptical for running. All distances can be indoor or outdoor.

Let's officially start this next Sunday (since that's how BT's calendar works).

Are you ready?

2007-01-29 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Okay, first I have to reiterate that I am so damn proud of each and everyone of you!

Erin: You were so not babbling and you can vent with us anytime. Did you forget how whiney I was last week on my blog? And I'm supposed to be the mentor! We are here for each other and this group has gone beyond what it was set up to do and I, for one, am glad that we are all becoming friends, because that is exactly what I had hoped for. I appreciate your candor and for opening up to us. I understand a little of what you're going through. I moved to Louisiana to be with J and it was such an adjustment period for me. I literally HATED Shreveport, add to that I had just graduated from grad school and finding a job, assimilating to a new culture, being in a new relationship....it was all very stressful. You will find your niche. I totally know what you're going through. You sound a lot like me. I love being around people and well, now my job requires that I work independently and sometimes it's very difficult for me. That's why I'm on the computer so much sometimes! I need to reach out to people...it's just how I'm made up. Anyway....that was some psycho babble of my own!!

And always remember, you will always have time to train, but family is way more important and you should try not to feel guilty for giving yourself some down time or choosing to spend time with family. Multisport is VERY demanding and it really takes a certain personality to keep up with it at a very high level and at a very high price. But if you take it, have fun with it and just do it for yourself and not worry about your times, but just have fun completing each event and race as it comes, then it will be rewarding. Trust me, I've really been there and done that. I need to take my own advice. I've been seduced by the dark side many times, but again, that's just part of my personality...that TypeA, perfectionist in me, you know?

Tierney: You will hit your 5K (was that 5K?) by the end of the month. The weekend tri is a good idea if we can all find a weekend we can all agree on!

Edited by Sharona1973 2007-01-29 9:32 PM
2007-01-29 11:14 PM
in reply to: #672216

User image

Champaign
Ladies, ladies, ladies. Words cannot express what I'm feeling right now about you all. Honestly. It means more than you can ever realize. Who knew that this is what this would turn into?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. From the bottom of my heart, I can never repay you all enough.

Now let's get busy!! (that's supposed to be G-rated, so get your minds out of the gutter if that's where they are headed!)

2007-01-30 7:50 AM
in reply to: #672305

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

purdueek - 2007-01-29 11:14 PM  Now let's get busy!! (that's supposed to be G-rated, so get your minds out of the gutter if that's where they are headed!)

It wasn't.....until you took us down there!

2007-01-30 3:42 PM

Regular
Boston

Sorry i've been kindof inconsistent lately....i feel like i've been in "catch up mode" with you guys all week (or has it been two).  Anyway tomorrow is my big day.  My midterm and final for that stuuuupid class is tomorrow.  No more crash course in boooooring stuff.  Then i can focus on the important things in life: Dogged Pack! Laughing

Thanks for the bike advice.  Just a couple of clarifications....

Eek:you lost me at 75 minutes. Surprised Just kidding!  Thanks for the example ride...i think i will alternate that with the rpm interval segment thing i have going on now.  That should keep me distracted for a while.  Sharon: when it gets warmer, i will tell you how the 18mph translates into the road bike world.  What is a paceline?  I'm a newbie with the biking stuff.

Challenges: What great ideas!!!!  The 30min/30 days got us all warmed up....and now we're going to get to it!!!  I think the minutes challenge would be great, especially for us organizers/perfectionists.  I'm in!  For the Minutes, and T's 24 hour Together Tri (Say that outloud a couple of times-Hahaaaaaaa), and the Ironman in a month.  I'm in!

I'll have to do some calculating and planning and general neurosis things and get back with you folks on the specifics/goals.  I'm sooooo excited! 

Erin: Be so very good to yourself this week.  And remember: There's always a friend in Boston (your favorite town evah).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

2007-01-30 4:31 PM

Regular
Boston
I finally caught up with everyone and i even added Jen to my little friends thing.  It's so cute......there's a Frog in the Dog pack.  Oops, supposed to be studying.....and planning my minutes challenge.
2007-01-30 9:53 PM
in reply to: #673303

User image

Champaign
Hmmm...for now we will let goofy off the hook since she is "studying", but the time is coming that we need details on this "hot date".

I will be eagerly awaiting the answer. Until then, I wanted to let you all know that I will not have fallen off the face of the earth, I just might not have access to the internet over the next few days, possibly week. Though my hotel room has access, I have to leave the laptop here, so I might not be in communication until at least saturday, possibly not even until next tuesday. Our friends that we are staying with, at one place there's no computer, at the other, there is. Not certain where our bed will be, but I'll check in if I get the chance.

Until then, be good, each and every one of you. Don't do anything I wouldn't do, and know that I'm thinking of you gals, and anxious already to hear what will have transpired in my absence.

Keep working hard, and being as great as you all are.

PS - Dee, the video was great. This is the one I was talking about - I think it aired in canada (they would NEVER do something like this in the states). Once again, one more reason to move up north!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-UV2xV-FEA

2007-01-31 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Goofy: Good luck (belated) on your test today. I know it went well!!

Erin: Safe travels (belated).

I guess I'm just late for everything!!!!!

I need to work on my minutes challenge too! Got some homework to do!

2007-01-31 6:09 PM

Regular
Boston

This morning i felt all anxious and ill-prepared for my exams.  Then i had a great conversation with my oh so awesome honey, and felt a teeny bit better.  I finished the midterm and the final in 30 minutes.....the girl proctoring the exam thought i had forgot one!  She didn't know that i'm wicked smot.  LOL!  Really, though, i felt pretty good about the midterm (my SH helped me study for that one before our smokin date)...i know, i'm so romantic.  The final is what i was worried about, but i felt like i did well overall.....some of the questions could have gone either way, but i feel better than i thought i would.

Thank you guys for all of your support during these hectic study days.

I can't remember if i posted my homework or not.......shoot, I'll go check.

2007-01-31 6:35 PM

Regular
Boston

STEAMY CONTENT: Thank you guys for all of the funny little notes about the "hot date".  Honestly, i call it that anytime my Sweetie comes over...Embarassed.  We had a really nice time (after the lamo studying of course), and i promise i was a perfect gentleman. I may get punished if i divulge any more than that!!!  Hey, that just gave me an idea: Maybe that can be an incentive, like the way Dee (was it Dee?) who was getting the gourmet pizza, and someone was getting a Starbucks.....I'm going to see if i can't arrange a HOT DATE AWARD for completing certain goals like the challenges.  For example: Finish all of your minutes for the month.....hot date.  Finish the Ironman for the month.....hot date.  What do you think?  Sharon's got it made on this one!  Two players completing goals = two dates awarded right? Now how can i phrase this for my honey....hmmmmm......Maybe, we could get bonus points for breaking PRs.  Now i'm just getting greedy. Laughing

On to the homework: I have added both the minutes Challenge and the Ironman in a month to my ST goals.  At first i was worried, because this is alot compare to what i normally do (based on my "January totals".  Then i realized that i'm ready to take this step.....esp now that the BU crisis is over.  I plan to swim 4000yds, bike 112mi, and run 26.2mi.  I also plan to swim 120min, bike 420min, and run 340min.  I think that these are all possible, though i will have to work to really fit in all of my planned workouts.  This is just the motivation i need!!!  So glad i found you all.  I may near a kick in the rear for the 24 Tri thing.  Get your kicking boots (or mukaluks) ready.

2007-01-31 8:05 PM

User image

Here's a big shout out of CONGRATULATIONS to the BT Dogged Pack.  We are concluding another month of training with all of the ups and downs.  So, when is the first 24 hour triathlon challenge?
2007-02-05 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Happy February to the Dog Pack!

Goofy: How did the exam go? Did you get your results back yet? I like your incentives idea...now you've given Jen more reasons to exercise!

Laura: The 24 hour Tri challenge starts this week, but I see that you've already done one. I don't know how anal to make the 24 hour challenge. Like if I ran at 7 a.m. one morning, do I only have until 7 a.m. the next morning to do the 24 hour challenge then? See what I mean? Any thoughts? Or do we just look at the logs and see if there are 3 events within two logged days?

I have not yet put up my planned minutes for Feb. I still have to sit down and calculate them. Falling behind!!!!!

2007-02-05 1:06 PM

User image

In my opinion, I think the 24 hour tri challenge should simply mean back to back blog entries.  I know everyone has very different work schedules and obligations.  Just my thought but I'll go with the flow....
2007-02-05 8:11 PM

Regular
Boston
i agree with Eek....and am glad she's back!
2007-02-05 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

I think we're getting our dawgs mixed up! Easy to do when we're looking at the display pictures.

Okay, I think the peeps have spoken....we'll just go with blog entries then. No point making it too complicated!!

2007-02-06 5:35 AM
in reply to: #680495

Regular
Boston
i think i was faking MYSELF out yesterday.  Laura turned into Erin...oopsy!  Having Erin mirages.
2007-02-07 1:46 AM

User image

Champaign
Just wanted to say hi and that I'm back. Ok, so I will have to catch up with everyone tomorrow, uh, well, today. It's 1:40 am, we just walked in our door from a trip that started around noon on Tuesday. It took us almost as much time to get from Chicago to home (140 miles) as it did from dc to chicago. We have taken a car, a train (metro), a plane, and a bus to get home today.

Now I must go searching for our luggage that was left back in chicago - which is where my running shoes are located at the moment.

I might also have to pry open my eyes for a bit longer since I say the words "steamy date" in bold somewhere along the way...
2007-02-07 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
     A Dawg is home!!!!!!
Welcome home, Eek!!!

Edited by Sharona1973 2007-02-07 8:36 AM
2007-02-07 5:39 PM

Regular
Boston
Wahooooooooooooooooooooo!!! (insert smiley jumpy things like Sharon did)!!!! Welcome back, Eek!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sharona1973's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10