Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-02-12 5:50 PM
in reply to: #625419

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: RE: Sharona1973's Group - FULL

I hope I'm not falling down on my job of being a mentor! I really was wanting to do weekly updates for you guys as to what all of you are doing, so I apologize first for that. Second, I'm sorry if I haven't  been doing my mentorish duties. I hate kicking people in butts, but mostly there was no butt kicking necessary.

But I am getting on the forum right now to basically say that I am still very impressed with everyone's totals so far and that all of you are doing a great job of keeping your new year's resolutions to date.

I don't know about you, but the weather gets me down. Most of you live in much colder climates than me and if I can be affected by just a little wind and rain, I can only begin to imagine what I would be doing if I lived where it snowed...I would NEVER get out!

I just wanted to encourage all of you to know your own truth. Know what gets you going, know what your weaknesses are and fight them. Don't look at other peoples' blog with anything but the intent of gleaning from them what they're learning and doing. You're not out to compete with one another. We're all here to encourage one another. Don't feel disappointed if you didn't work out today, but someone else did. You live your own life, you know your own truth. Make sense? Geez, I feel like Oprah!!

Bottomline.....BT is here as a tool to help you achieve your goals, whatever they are. All of us have different goals, different skill levels, different aspirations and we're all different and unique. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Our roles here are to encourage one another, spur each other on and apply that swift kick whenever necessary to get started again. And I am proud to say that each and every person in our group has done all 3 to each person when needed.

You guys are all doing great. Remember that. There are great things to come in the next few weeks and months and I can't wait to read my first race report from each of you.

So onward, okay? Me? I'm taking today off! LOL!! Off to a bike club meeting despite the rain...yeah, it's just thunder and lightning and no, I don't want your snow or blizzards!!

Hugs and high fives to all of you.

2007-02-12 6:54 PM
in reply to: #688596

User image

Champaign
Thanks Sharon, for that post, and for being the fabulous mentor you are! It's as if you were reading my mind!

I must apologize to everyone for being a bit silent over here lately. Things have been a bit stressful, both good and bad, and having been gone for a week really set me back (but also helped). I think I needed to slip away this weekend to get myself together. Perhaps it did the trick!

Today, for me, was like day one all over again, but it was needed. I'll log my workout a bit later, but I'm feeling a bit more clear-headed so I'm hoping to be a more active team member once again!

For now, we're getting prepared for the 8-12 inches of snow estimated to hit us between this evening and tomorrow evening - I CAN'T WAIT! I missed the last big dumping, and instead of getting to watch the snowflakes fall from the sky, I got to experience the delays of our travel b/c of the snow. But not tomorrow. I plan on watching as many snowflakes fall as I can, and then take the outback out to track through the it. hehehe...I LOVE WINTER!! (Sorry, sharon!)

I'll catch up with everyone tonight - but until then, take care, be safe, and keep kickin' a**.
2007-02-12 8:07 PM

Regular
Boston

Yes, Sharon (oprah) you said just what i needed to hear.  I had to take a few days to rethink some really hard things in my life...and guess what?  Today i was right back on track with a great little run and some upper body strength!  Thank you all for the nice notes while i was out "slacking"...

Jes

2007-02-12 8:30 PM

User image

Kudos to Sharon and all the dawgs in the pack.  I will say this even though I have to remind myself:  The triathlon is the total athlete.  It's as much mental as physical.  Days off are the mental training aspect.  (Remind me of this when you need to.)

You all are one incredible group of women.  This is the longest I've stuck with a workout regiment since I broke my ankle.  Thank all of you for that.

2007-02-14 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

First....Happy Valentine's Day to my BT Dog Pack pals!

Second, I hope you guys enjoyed the silly VD (thanks to Laura for that one, we're going to see how much mileage we can get out of that one!) card I sent all of you. I thought it was perfect and it made me laugh!

Third, I'm glad to see that everyone is back in the saddle again and doing great. Kudos for pulling yourselves back up by the bootstraps. You guys are fantastic.

Personally, I'm not off the saddle, but feeling a bit off. It will probably be just fine by next week. I have to stop pussyfooting around with my training and get serious as there isn't much more time to get ready for the Oly tri that I'm thinking about doing...just about 11 weeks I think. Anyway, just wanted to "tell" you guys so you didn't think I wasn't already on myself for not getting the serious workouts in this week.

J and I are going out of town starting Friday and will be back Sunday. So we'll see how the rest of the week will work out.

Everyone have a wonderful day today and a great rest of the week.

2007-02-19 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

I hope to catch up with everyone this week. I hope all is well with everyone.

2007-02-19 11:10 PM

Regular
Boston

Cry Okay, so i'm sick.  Icky, germy sick.  Have been at SH's trying to recover....i think i'm going to call into work tomorrow. 

When i feel better, i'll have to rethink my challenges/modify my goals.  It will be hard to start back up after being icky for so long, but i can do it!  Maybe you guys have some advice....

Wishing you all the best.

2007-02-20 7:57 AM
in reply to: #696464

User image

Champaign
Hey Sharon, welcome back!
Hey Goof - sorry that you're not feeling well. Perhaps the snowball I sent you the other day had a few germs on it?

Today is my first day back in the office (worked yesterday, but just from home). I agree with Goofy, I really need to rethink my goals, and realign my mental status in terms of this training. At this time there's nothing I can really do since I can barely get through a dog walk without having to stop, but as I was thinking that technically I'm only a month away from my goal of a 5k, I'm wondering just what in the heck am I going to do.

The truth is, I want to succeed at this, and I want to follow through on my goals. I think everyone every now and then has talked about motivation issues...please pack just know that I'm not giving up, and that I'm hoping this week I can turn a corner in terms of getting back in the game. Have to get better first, but getting back on the horse nonetheless.

Hope everyone is doing well, and I'll try and catch up with everyone later today. I've pretty much been pinned to the couch for the last few days, so it's going to be nice to get out!

Have a great day everyone, and keep working hard! Happy belated President's Day!
2007-02-20 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

I think Laura might have something to say about this, but I'll let her tell you herself...it has to do with fate and letting it help with your training!

Me, from experience, I can just say this, especially to Goofy and Eek for being so sick at the moment and wondering how to restart....you just restart. Remember when I was sick after my half mary and you guys told me to just rest? Well, right now you guys should concentrate on getting better, get all the germies out of your system  and when you are all better, you can come back better and stronger.

You may have to start at a lower level, you may not. But the important thing to remember is why you started this mentor group. It was to have some accountability, some encouragement, some motivation and hopefully to make some new friends. I think that with all those in mind, you've met your goals. What is important now is to continue with your workouts and to see what goals you can achieve, whatever they are. You don't have to DO anything or win any races, you just have to meet your personal goals and you can change them however your life leads you.

Speaking of which....I think initially when this mentor program started, the goal was to get people through the first 3 months of the year. I don't know how you guys feel, but I would like to at least follow your progress until your first triathlon (if that is still what you're aiming towards) or first 5K. After that, the "official" mentor program can dissolve, but of course you will always be my BT buddies from here on out.

Actually in all honesty, I don't really consider myself your mentor anymore at this point. I feel like you all have really come a long way and achieved really good goals and of course I'm still here as your "mentor", but I hope more as a friend.

Oh, I was thinking of doing a group chat at some point to do like a "triathlon clinic Q&A" if you guys are interested.

Anyway, I'm babbling.....

2007-02-21 12:24 PM
in reply to: #697578

Regular
Boston

Thanks Sharon.  I don't know about Eek, but sometimes i just need to hear someone say: rest. I got sent home from work today (for 2 days)....i think i get it now.  I'll rest. 

Germs aside, i would like the group chat Q&A thing....AND for you to be my mentor through my first race! I could go for the chat anytime today or tomorrow....hahahaha sigh.

2007-02-25 3:20 PM

Regular
Boston
Laughing Just wanted to thank you ALL for the nice words while i was sick.  I'm a big baby since i only get sick every 4 or 5 years.  I am mostly better.....the anitbiotics are killing the infection.  I went away this weekend just to get out of this town and away from everything.  Boy am i glad i did.  Check out my log for this weekend.  It was hard since i am still getting better ......and because i haven't worked out in over a week, but i had a blast!!!  You ladies make me feel good and keep me motivated to the point that now that i am recovering, i am rabid to get back to business.  I bet this didn't push me back too much in training.  Thank you thank you hug hug hug. Smooch.

2007-02-27 3:34 PM

Regular
Boston

A couple of you had mentioned knee troubles.....i just got this article in my email today.  Just general tips:

http://www.realage.com/news_features/tip.aspx?v=1&cid=17736

I had surgery when i was 17....strengthening my quads and stretching was the big advice given by the Doctor and Phys Therapist.  That, and no more breaststroke. 

2007-02-27 6:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Okay, this is your slacker mentor doing a roll call and checking in with the dawg pack.

Suffice to say that February was a tough month for all of us....

Dee got snowed in for Valentine's Day, but managed to salvage it and still got out to go ice fishing. Jessica and Erin both got nasty viruses that took them down for a week or so, but I believe they are back and running again, right? Laura finally got Lola out and rode outside for the first time since her ankle injury and Tierney is nursing a new knee predicament, but is going to get wicked fast in the water and on the bike. Oh me? I'm trying to keep up with all of my girls. (sorry, don't want to call you my women....and dawgs just sounded a bit too, I don't know, impersonal).

So....March is fast upon us and I really look forward to good looking workouts, don't kill yourselves, it's not what I meant. I look for great personal achievements and continued success with your workouts wherever you are currently.

Remember, we're all in this for the long haul. We are making lifelong changes and I for one have been truly blessed to have met you all and I hope we stay together for a long time. Maybe not as the Dawg Pack, but certainly as BT buddies and friends.

For now, let's really carpe diem (well what's the latin for month?) for the month of March! I have every confidence in each and everyone of you. And thank you for motivating me to be a better athlete as well.

Onward!

Edited by Sharona1973 2007-02-27 6:08 PM
2007-03-01 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

This is your mentor. I am checking in on all of you right now for the month of March. Spring is almost here and most of you will thaw out very soon, if not already.

I'm wanting to touch base with all of you to make sure that we're all still alive and still with the group. I apologize for not keeping better tabs on all of you during February, but today is March 1st and I want to start new.

So let me here from you and what you hope to accomplish this month.

I'll start: I am going to start throwing in 2aday workouts consistently as I start seriously preparing for my first olympic distance triathlon for early June. I will be riding with the bike club starting in two weeks because of the early time change (whoo hoo!) and I plan to go back to doing long runs either at the end of the week or weekend...again to prep for my Oly tri and last but not least, I am contemplating rejoining the Masters swim for a few months to see if they can help me with my swimming. Any thoughts on that, Goofy? You're the swim expert. I tried them 2 years ago and the coach was not all that good. They assure me that things are different now. At least the committment is month to month.

So....tag, you're it!

Edited by Sharona1973 2007-03-01 4:43 PM
2007-03-02 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Hm....I'm beginning to get a complex. Have I been abandoned by the dog pack?

Actually it wouldn't bother me if that was so...I would appreciate a note telling me so though so that I don't worry about what's happened to each individual.

So...please check in, even if it's to say that you've accomplished what you want and that you're ready to move on. Okay? And if you all are just busy, then my apologies. I certainly have been busy myself, but I want to make sure that we're all okay. So just drop a line if you can!!

Just worried about each of you.

2007-03-03 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

Hey Sharon.

Don't feel abandoned.  I'm still here though I've been a slug.  I've had good intentions to work out all week, but I've talked myself out of it each day (including this morning).  I think I left my motivation up north or maybe I can use hockey terminology and say I'm in a slump.  Either way, I'm still a Dog Pack'er (more of a lap dog right now). 

I am intending to get something done this afternoon.  Please feel free to give me a well deserved boot to the butt.

Dee

2007-03-03 8:36 AM

Regular
Boston

Warning: I've had coffee

Sharon, i'm here and i'm checking in.  I'm not ready to move on by any means! I think February tried to beat down alot of us.....between illness and snow storms, especially the Dawgs in the Northern regions.  These things happen.  The good news: I heard birds this morning and i think that bright light may be bringing warmth of some sort (still not sure though). As for me, every now and then i can't log on because of emergencies at work.....i actually only see my house for a couple hours a day when this happens.  But don't you worry....have no doubts...i will always be back to log my training!

Okay, March: I am spending the first week and a half-ish getting my bearings again.  Then, i am going to do the challenges that most of you did in February.  I think that will help me step up my game a notch.  I am completing a tri in a month and doing the minutes challenge (see my ST goals).  I feel like i have a good foundation to build from thanks to all of the Dogged Determination and encouragement.  And now that our surprise/late winter is thawing (hope, hope)...i may even get to dust off my beautiful new bike again....and squeeze the wallet for some slicks.  I had a 5k planned in March, but i have to go to VA for work that week.  Fortunately, my family is in the same town, so i will get to see them! Esp my grandfather, who has been ill.  And...instead of just giving up on the 5k, i am going to run a 5k that weekend (just not in Boston). I'm going to try and talk my mom or stepfather into helping with a stopwatch and maybe pretend like their house is one of the pubs at the finish line!

And here's some help for Sharon (since so many of us need it): A SWIFT KICK IN THE REAR. Now i'm waiting for mine. Laughing

2007-03-03 8:44 AM

Regular
Boston

Almost forgot your swimming Sharon:

I had actually considered joining a masters team this year, at least for a month....just to see.  I think as long as your commitment is month-to month and they can actually articulate to you EXACTLY WHAT has changed, then you may want to give it a try.  Not just "oh, it's changed", but..."this has changed, and we realized this was a problem so we are working on it" etc. 

My problem with swimming is that it is more natural than walking (or running/biking)   for me.  That tends to be my excuse for not swimming. I feel like i should be running or biking instead....which is silly.  I actually wanted to sign up for a local Master's team, but I want to be certain i won't waste the membership.  I am going to make a committment to go to my pool at least once a week this month, and if i do that, i will reward myself with the Master's membership.

Are you having any specific problems with swimming? Stroke, breathing, kicking, just general form?

2007-03-03 4:50 PM

User image

Hey Dawgs! It's good to see and hear about the workouts which are taking place.  Im still here as well, anxiously awaiting the warmer weather which appears to be peeking around the corner. 

Yes, this past week I had some interference with the workout schedule but that has not hindered my passion and determination.  That's just life right?  Beautiful chaos.

I've got the running program in place, and the cycling is there.  Both sports just need the training.  Regarding swimming, I will be hiring a personal coach for a few sessions to get my breathing patterns.   

I will pick up on my inspire duties as I know I have slacked.  Here's a swift kick in the pants for us all.  Later Dawgs!

2007-03-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: #709880

User image

Champaign
Greetings!!

I was driving back from a friend's house this weekend, and listening to my iPod when the song "The World's Greatest" came on, blaring through my speakers. I decided then and there I needed to quit hiding, and stop being embarrassed for the big slip in training. No one ever accomplished anything by thinking it in their minds only, or by eating themselves silly.

So, if you all can forgive me, and will have me back, I'm here. Hanging on, barely, but still here. I have to once again apologize for my absence of late. It's been a many things, as we all have noticed the month of february has not exactly gone as planned. Just when I thought I was getting better, I got sick again, and on top of it, my sister and brother-in-law have finally decided to call it quits (it's been a long time in coming), so I've been back and forth between here and "home" to help out with my nephews and such. Who knows what's going to happen, they might try and stick it out, but for now it's a day-by-day thing.

I must say, before getting sick, I was struggling to begin with. And the way I sometimes deal with things is by not dealing with them, and just let the days pass by in silence. But in that silence I find that I beat myself up too much, and that's not what this is all about. I've been thinking about you all a lot, and how much everyone else has on their plate, and what you all are dealing with, and struggling through, and having to juggle, and I realize that this group might mean more than I ever really realized. Though I might not be holding up my end of the training bargin this days (or inspiration), I think this is all doing something more in the "mental" realm for me, and for that, I am grateful.

So today is a new day, and a new week, and most importantly, for me, a new beginning. Despite still having a residual cough, I believe I am going to head back to the gym. I'm considering this day 1 since I've lost a lot of what I had already accomplished. I need to reassess my goals for the year since weekends are quickly filling up. I need to put this, and in essence me, on the top of my list to make sure I accomplish what i want to out of all of this.

Thanks Sharon, for being the great mentor that you are, and for keeping tabs on us and taking care of us despite your busy schedule. And to everyone else, you all are a real inspiration for what it means to work hard, live life to the fullest, and keep pushing through. I might have a lot of catching up to do, but I'll catch up eventually.

Later gators...
2007-03-05 10:05 AM

User image

San Francisco, CA
I am still here as well! I haven't been to the gym since the whole knee issue, but I will blog my PT experience. I have been out of town this weekend visiting my sister so I have not been updating things. I am in this for the long haul and plan on sticking around even after the designated 3 month period is over. You are a great mentor Sharon and we could never abandon you!!!

2007-03-06 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Thank you everyone for checking back in. I'm sorry I'm short on time at the moment, but I will be back to reacquaint myself with everyone.

Have a great day today, whatever you are doing....working out or taking care of yourself mentally.

Off to work now. Later dawgs!

2007-03-07 6:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: Sharing from my local tri club newsletter

Thought I would share this from my local tri club March newsletter.....

Below is a list of the 7 habits we should all strive for to become the most effective athlete we can be.

• Finesse – the habit of striving for ultimate technique
  • Fitness – the habit of strengthening your engine
  • Flexibility – the habit of stretching your engine
  • Fueling – the habit of sustaining optimal energy
  • Fun and Focus – the habit of smiling and seeing the positive
  • Family and Friends – the habit of serving others
  • Faith – the habit of seeking truth

Have a wonderful day friends.

2007-03-13 9:38 AM

User image

San Francisco, CA
I am missing the group here! It seems like Dee and I are the only ones hanging around here at the momment. I know that sometimes life gets in the way...but I want my dawgs back!
2007-03-15 10:05 AM

Regular
Boston

I am in Virginia at training/class.....crazy travelling, crazy schedule, but i had a break today.  Your dawgs are here!  At least this pup!

I am working out and will back log things tonight/tomorrow.

Good work to everyone.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sharona1973's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10