General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobic Base training and lifting weights??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-21 7:59 AM

User image

Subject: Aerobic Base training and lifting weights???
Hey everyone,
Let me start off by introducing myself. My name is Dale, and have been around the site for a while. I have completed 2 sprint tri's. Once in October 2005 and another in July 2006. I quit smoking in Jan 2004 and went on a weight loss routine in Jan 2005. I am please with the results so far, I have put on a few pounds again, but still work out etc....

I have another friend that has been pretty athletic all of his life, and we were discussing our limiting factors when it comes to running speed. For him its the strength of his legs, for me its my aerobic/cardio. I also made the comment that I feel like my cardio declines pretty quickly in the few times that I have taken a month or so break from any real training.

This started me thinking that I would like to build up my base cardio system over the next few months, so i did some research and found that Aerobic base training is something that is popular. Basically the premise is that you stay at 70-80% of max heart rate for your works outs over a 12-16 week period, never to exceed into an anaerobic state at anytime. Of course this sounds easy, but the hard part is having the willpower not to go above that rate. I know when I am in training mode I tend to stay in the 90% range.

The one thing that I am a little confused on is whether or not I should be lifting weights during this time frame. Since weights lifting is anaerobic, it may actually counteract what I am trying to accomplish with my aerobic base training.

Does anyone have an educated opinion on this. I really want to build up my aerobic base, and would also like to do some weight training, but will the weight training counteract what I am trying to accomplish?

Thanks for the input.
-Dale

2006-12-21 8:04 AM
in reply to: #630056

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Aerobic Base training and lifting weights???
I will preface what I say by stating that I personally do not lift weights.

I do not think that weight lifting will negate the effects of base building. There is nothing wrong with lifting while working on your aerobic base.
2006-12-21 8:09 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Not a physiologist (i.e., uneducated opionion), but I really don't think anaerobic training counteracts aerobic, but rather that both increase your capacities in their respective areas.
2006-12-21 10:52 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I lift weights but only thing that involves my legs are deadlifts.  I'm running & biking enough that I don't worry about leg strength in the sense of how much I need to squat.

If your in the 90% mode your not training properly.  I learned this lesson last year after getting my HRM.  I found I was always running too hard and was wondering why I couldn't increase my distances or get in 'better' shape.  I spent most of the past last year doing Z2 runs after doing a run LT test with some Z4 runs thrown in there.  Last Dec I could only run 5 or so miles in Z2 at almost a 10 min pace and had to stop and walk at times to keep the HR down and was totally whipped after.  I PR'd a 5k in May without training for it and now I can run at Z2 for what seems like forever and my legs will be fine for a recovery run or a decent bike the next day.  Moral of the story, Z2 workouts work, your body will respond to it in ways you cannot fathom right now.  If your legs are sore and or fatigued after long base runs then lifting is not going to help you.  When you can wake up the next day and do a recovery run without issues then IMHO you then can start lifting. So work on the base for the next 12-16 weeks and work the core exercises.  During your running periods concentrate on running form as this will pay a lot of dividends when the runs start getting longer and longer down the road.  When you start to tie all these together you'll rock the Sprints and be progressing to Oly and HIM in no time!!!

Edited by DRM 2006-12-21 10:52 AM
2006-12-21 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
lifting weights doesn;t have to be anaerobic: warm up enough hto get your HR up (jump rope, jog, anything...) do high reps low weight with little rest between sets- you'll get your heart rate up. and keep it up the whole time.
2006-12-22 9:18 AM

User image

Thanks all for all the info. I think I am going to take DRM's advice and stick with base training only for the 12-16 week period.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobic Base training and lifting weights??? Rss Feed