BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's group- Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-03-06 1:43 PM
in reply to: #632158

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: KathyG's group- Full

Oh Kathy, that's wonderful news about your boys.  Life will sure be different in your household next year!  By the way, I have a Brian too ... he's my youngest and now has two little ones of his own!

And Lauren, if you decide on CSU, you'll be close enough to stop in and see me if you ever get homesick!  We're about an hour and a half south of Fort Collins.

Yeah ... I wish I could share the nice weather with everyone ... but we did earn it after 8 weeks of snowstorms!  Today I didn't even have to wear a coat to work!  It's the perfect day for riding ... if I can figure out a way to disappear from my desk without anyone noticing!

2007-03-06 3:33 PM

User image

Regular
Studio City

Hey Kathy,Congrats on your sons! That's awesome. I know what it's like to pay for college tuition...I'm still paying for it 10 years later!

Becky - enjoy the weather!! I wish I could say the same for NJ...way way too cold here. It's 22 degrees, but the wind chill makes it feel like 6 degrees.

And Happy (belated) Birthday Lauren! Sorry I haven't been here lately.

2007-03-06 7:17 PM

User image

New user
thanks everyone! for my birthday, I got a new Giro bike helmet and a $100 gift card to academy for some new gear very excited!

I hope the warm weather keeps up for everyone - it has been a blessing here!
2007-03-07 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Congrats to the twins, Kathy!  That's very exciting!!  I'm so thankful to be going to a public school w/in state tuition because I didn't get either of those the first time around and my B.A. is by far the most expensive thing I "own". 

Happy B-day RR!!!

And we got more snow today.... good thing I braved the wind on Monday.

2007-03-12 10:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA

How was everyone's weekend? Weather was in the 50's here perfect for some time outdoors running and biking!

Hope everyone is doing well! What is going good for you? what are you struggling with?

When is your next race be it a tri or a 5K or whatever?

2007-03-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: #720780

Weekend was busy, but I did get up at 7 am (really 6am) and go and work out, I was pretty proud of myself!!

I have yet to get outside and go biking or running, I do most of it at the gym, but I think I probably need to get going outside...right? Is there a huge difference between biking indoors and outdoors?? Yesterday I did another "brick" workout where I rode the bike for 12.6 miles and then hopped off and ran for a mile and felt pretty good. I'm trying to work up to running the 3 miles but I know I have to go slow or I'll burn myself out. That's what I have been struggling with is to keep pushing myself every day even if I'm tired or in a bad mood, there have been days where I would just like to curl up in a ball and sleep or too tired to go to the gym, but then I get stressed because my first tri is in May and I'm doing a tri-clinic in April and I don't want to embarass myself!

So that's kind of where I am...how about everybody else?!?!?

2007-03-14 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like everyone is humming along nicely.  Good stuff!  I just went out on Sunrise, and I *heart* my new bike   Too bad it's supposed to be rainy and yuck for the next couple days, I'm not looking forward to putting her back on the trainer!  It felt so good to be out there, and my positioning felt much easier than it does on the trainer.... less forced, I think.  I only almost fell over once, (clipped out with left, went to start back up from a stop...leaned right...oops!!) thankfully my 'beginner' setting on the pedals saved me

Other stuff is not so good though.  I think I have a stress fracture in my left foot, from babying my left side (shin splint, hopefully not also a stress fracture *sigh*).  I have a pain in my arch that does not like running, that started for no apparent reason at mile 3 of 5 this past Sunday, and it hasn't gotten much better over the last few days. I'm really bummed, because I think I'm going to skip the 10-miler this Sunday and probably the 1/2 marathon at the end of April because of it.  My longest run has been 9 miles - if I take 4 weeks off from running, there's little time to "ease" back into running before it's time for the half-mary.  I don't want to just go and hurt myself again, so I think it's time to bow out gracefully, rest a bit, and start back up really, really slow.  And when I do, remind me not to increase both distance AND intensity at the same time, or I'll end up in the same boat all over again. 

I'm mad and sad and frustrated, because I've worked HARD and I actually do like running (!!) but I have to be smart about this, right?  I mean, I could do more damage and be out of even more races, or goddess forbid, my tris, or ... perish the thought, even biking and swimming, if I make it worse and need a cast or something.  I'm trying to be positive, but it still sux.

So if you need me, I'll be on the elliptical machine

Edited by maxpixie 2007-03-14 6:15 PM
2007-03-26 7:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

Hi Everyone,

I'm crawling out from under my rock......

Parts of February and most of March was a bust.  Between the weather getting me down and some family tension, I completely lost motivation to train.  But, I never gave up on the idea of starting the training again.

I plan to get up and going again full steam ahead.

I think part of the problem of me losing my motivation is that the sprint is/was so far away that it was hard to really visualize doing it.  I think for next time, I will schedule some 5k's, etc. in between to give me something to focus on and get me to work toward something more immediate to avoid the slacking.

I hope you all haven't forgotten about me! 

2007-03-26 10:58 AM
in reply to: #736635

Of course not!!! I know how you feel too, I was having some trouble as well getting over that hump and the idea that I started training so early before my first tri (in 5 weeks) I did do a 5 K yesterday but I walked it, not ready for running it yet. i'm hoping that the added pressure of my first tri and my first tri-clinic (April 15th) will push my butt in gear!!!

I appreciate all the little motiviational things people have been saying to me so thanks, it helps!
2007-03-27 7:37 AM
in reply to: #736961

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

I feel so much better knowing that you walked a 5k, LOL.  My major motivation is to actually finish the Tri.

I joined a running club that's starting up in a couple of weeks.  Working out with people instead of alone will get me going again for sure.

2007-03-30 11:24 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Glad to see most of you are doing okay. Training comes after the important stuff in life. My first tri of the season is less than a month away and it seemed so far off until recently. I have found that each year...I wait and wait for it to be tri season and then it sort of catches up on you quick.

Beautiful weekend here in the NE, big surprise I'm planning to s/b/r.....well long swim one day with strength training and 40-45 mile ride/30 minute run the other day. Need to coordinate it around 2 sunday soccer games and dentist appointments for 5 tomorrow. 

Sadly my injury flared up again.  My BT buddy Dr. Sue thinks it is from sitting driving/working (got a new contracting job so my calves went numb and started cramping again, but they are much better today.

hat training do you plan on doing this weekend?

I'm impressed with your guys fortitude...keeping at it when times are tough and coming back after a break for important reasons.

Have a super weekend everyone! 

2007-03-31 5:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

Hi Kathy! Congrats on the new job.  Boo to the injury flairing up again.  Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be so disabling again.

I finally joined that gym Jeff belongs to that has a pool, so he and I are going to go on Sunday so he can give me a tour and I'm going to try to get in a swim for the first time!!

Today we're heading up to Grantham where the tri will be held to get a lay of the land.  The route for the run is around the lake which will be really nice and flat.  I'd like to drive the bike route (will have kids with us, otherwise I'd bike it!) to see what we're in for. 

Otherwise, I'm playing the training by ear.  If I want to run 3 days in a row, I've done it.  If I want to bike for the rest of the week, then that'll be what I do.

I found training to be such a chore, so I'm trying to do what I want rather than follow a schedule.  As long as I keep moving, it'll be better than nothing at all, right?  

2007-04-02 9:04 PM

User image

New user
Is anyone else super pumped (or aware) that this season's Bachelor on ABC is a 6-time ironman triathlete?

Doesn't hurt that he's a navy doctor, drives a lamborghini(sp?), and is built like a tank.

Sorry. never saw this show, but now that they're featuring triathletes, I'll call it my weekly hour of "video training" in which I study the correct techniques of..... triathlon training. Naturally.

I have the flu and an acute upper respiratory system. My doc told me today that if we keep seeing each other as often as we do, people will get suspicious. (COMPLETELY sarcastically, btw)

Anyway, I hope everyone's training is going well. Or just going
2007-04-02 10:07 PM

I was not aware about this Bachelor...I might just have to watch it, of course while I'm running on the treadmill! I spent the entire weekend scuba diving and was happy to see all my training so far has paid off, I had a lot easier time lugging all my scuba gear and weights around, it was fun to have a break from all the training but now that my tri is getting closer and my tri clinic even closer, I'm starting to freak out....I'm no where near running 3 miles yet and I timed myself today and ran 1 mile in 16 mins...SLOW!!!!!!! I'm trying not to get ahead of myself and just take it as it comes...

Has anybody ever done a tri-clinic before...any suggestions??
2007-04-11 3:18 PM

Where did everybody go???
2007-04-12 1:28 PM

User image

New user
training is crazy - getting my new BIKE!!! this week! Specialized Dolce in hot blue with new pedals, shoes, and cages

i'll post pics when i finally get it!

how's everything else going??

2007-04-16 9:53 PM

I had my tri clinic this last weekend and let me tell you, I basically got my bootie handed to me...totally underestimated my readiness and fit level for my tri in 3 weeks...so I'm kickin' into high gear, not to mention I TOO just got a new bike, a Trek 1600 in baby blue with new pedals, cages and computer...YEEE HAW!!!
2007-04-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: #758915

User image

Champion
MA

rebelrunner - 2007-04-12 2:28 PM training is crazy - getting my new BIKE!!! this week! Specialized Dolce in hot blue with new pedals, shoes, and cages i'll post pics when i finally get it! how's everything else going??

Congrats on the new bike...we want to see some pictures!

How does she ride? Have you named her yet?

I love shopping and getting new bikes...my husband thinks I'm to good at it...2 new carbon bikes in 6 months I have my eye on another one or two.... 

2007-04-23 2:52 PM
in reply to: #764162

User image

Champion
MA

joolsee - 2007-04-16 10:53 PM I had my tri clinic this last weekend and let me tell you, I basically got my bootie handed to me...totally underestimated my readiness and fit level for my tri in 3 weeks...so I'm kickin' into high gear, not to mention I TOO just got a new bike, a Trek 1600 in baby blue with new pedals, cages and computer...YEEE HAW!!!

Tri Clinic is awesome!

Doing each sport on it's own is very different than doing all three in a row plus that transition thing twice. My first tri honestly I was so scared and nervous I really didn't have fun...don't be like me soak in the day and enjoy every scary or excited moment of it...you are only a tri virigin once.

Congrats on the new Trek...we want pictures too....how does she ride? Tell us more!

2007-04-23 2:54 PM

User image

Champion
MA

How is everyone's training going?

Being on vacation in FL when it is cold in MA is like training heaven. I rode my bike 208 miles in 8 days and you all know how much I like to ride...I was tired yesterday though. It is hot and my body is adjusting slowly to the weather..it really slows my running down.

Just 6 days until my first tri of the season.....can't wait to see how my off season training will come thru on race day.

Be well everyone...train smart...don't panic and overdo it before your first races, trust your training and it is better to get to race day over rested than over tired from pushing to much last couple of weeks.

2007-04-30 5:07 PM

Okay, so this weekend is my first tri and I'm VERY nervous!! I haven't had a chance to get out and ride "Baby Blue" as I like to call her very much because of scheduling conflicts. I drove the bike route and the run route today and that made me even more nervous..lots of hills, not sure how I'm going to do on that, I hope to actually ride the route tonight or tomorrow.

How's everybody else doing? I haven't heard about any other races going on or the results so speak up and let me know how you did girls!!

2007-05-01 7:42 AM

User image

New user
I have my first tri this weekend, too. I looked at the course and everything set up and it's wigging me out hardcore.

even after these last few months, I'm struggling to see where my sanity was when I thought I could be a triathlete, haha!

Last minute tips anyone?
2007-05-01 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Tips...stay calm, don't push to hard on swim or bike, hold back and kick it up on the run.

If you can practice transitions this week. I made my kids go barefoot run around a tree 4-5 times to get dizzy as that is how you will feel after getting out of the water. Transition to biking go around the block and do it again.

Simple things like placing your helmet a certain way so as you lift it to your head it goes on the proper way...once you have a system of transitions they are much easier and you will be faster..sort of like automatic pilot.

Your fitness is set don't do to much this week as it will only make you tired. Don't feel like ahhh...I need to do x, y, z as I didn't get enough training in. Trust what you have done, take an extra rest day, do shorter workouts and enjoy the prerace excitement.

Specific questions post them here and we can all chime in. 

I did St. Anthonys the 2nd largest tri in the country Sunday. I have my race report up...very long and maybe boring. I won some hardware which is always cool...it was tough conditions out there. 

2007-05-03 3:27 PM

Anybody have suggestions on a good brand of sports bra to wear under the swimsuit/run in?? I need something that is going to hold these babies down from knockin' me out
2007-05-04 11:50 AM

User image

New user
Champion has a great line, and they're super great for absorbency (sp?) purposes because they dry out quickly and wick away sweat. Target carries them in a bazillion colors, too, for a great price.

< /promotional speech>

Edited by rebelrunner 2007-05-04 11:51 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's group- Full Rss Feed  

of 11