General Discussion Race Reports! » Seattle Marathon 2006--Half Marathon Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Seattle Marathon 2006--Half Marathon Race - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seattle, Washington
United States
Seattle Marathon Organization
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The first thing I did when I woke up was look out the window. It was dry! By the time I was dressed and heading out the door it was snowing. I went back in and grabbed a raspberry pink windjacket with hood that had been Nanette's, (my younger sister who died in August of a brain aneurysm). I just wrapped myself up in her, and I knew today that she would be carried in my heart and it would be a very good day.

Lisa & I did stay in the car until it was as close as we dare cut it to get to the race start.
Event warmup:

Just the brisk walk to the race start in the rain.
Run
  • 2h 30m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

The gun went off and I jogged in the throngs for about four paces and come to a complete stop. Finally the bottleneck breaks up and we are on our way.

My goal was to do the 1/2 in 2 hr 35 min, an 11:49 minute pace. I printed out a handing little pace chart from on-line, laminated it and clipped it to the front of my coat and gave another one to my husband so he would be able to know approximately where and when on the course he could see me.

Mile 1 - 10:59:02, just an easy pace on 5th Ave. Lots of people cheering for racers outside the hotels along the route.

Mile 2 - 11:16, another easy mile. I loaded up my iPod on Saturday night. During this mile Melissa Etheridge's song "I'll Take You With Me" came on. I became filled with thoughts of my sister and I grasped her windbreaker in my hands. "I feel your hand, I hold you, through your eyes I see. My love, wherever I go I take you with me...I hear your voice, I know you... I'll never understand it, how the journey led me here, but I have made a promise I intend to keep. My love, wherever I go I take you with me."

I have found a lot of peace in running since Nanette died. I wake up some days with a big ache, I lace up my runners and go. I feel her with me, and I know that she is looking out for all of us and we will meet again, and I remember how blessed I am to have had her as my sister. My promise is to do the Portland Marathon in October 2007 in her memory and when I run it I will be seeing it through her eyes, it was her marathon after all.

Mile 3 - 10:02, I had an awesome view of the crowd of runners in front of me as the road gradually.

Mile 4 -10:50, We got a bit of a dry patch here as we ran through the Mt. Baker tunnel. We veered off, down the little slope of Day Street onto Lake Washington Blvd., and back into the elements. I was comfortable, clothingwise. I was thankful that I put running tights under my running pants. Thank goodness I went back for Nanette's jacket! It was just the ticket. It's hard to dress for bad weather and running, but today it came out just right.

Mile 5-11:06, The view of Lake Washington was inspiring. It was definitely a winter scene: the snowy mountains in the distance, the water swirling and gray. I intentionally tried not to think about swimming in the Lake in August--no letting cold thoughts in!

Mile 6-11:05, The morning crowd came out of the coffee shops and restaurants to cheer the racers. It was fun. Family and friends were along the road with signs and noise makers. I am loving it.

Mile 7-10:36, I start keeping my eyes open for my husband. I have really been enjoying my tunes. Somehow a jazz tune "Bye, Bye Blackbird", made it into the mix-my mistake-however I actually enjoyed it. I realized that I had really relaxed my shoulders. I'll have to remember that and throw a few more relaxing songs in the mix.

Mile 8-15:09, I saw my husband at Madison Street. He did not see me until I ran up to him. I jogged back a bit and came back at him on the course so that he could get some pictures. I told him "This is so fun, I'm loving it!!!"

Then a bit of a problem developed. I got the feeling that I had to "go", but when I got to the honeybucket, I couldn't. As soon as I started running then the feeling came back. I tried another time, again no luck. But as soon as I started running, darn it, if the feeling did not come back.

Mile 9 -11:01, Attacked the hills with inspiration from the musical talents of Gwen Stefani (I'm Just A Girl and Bananas) and Pink (Get the Party Started)

Mile 10-12:19, Took another pit stop.

Mile 11-12:09, My sore hip became harder to ignore. Stepped in a puddle. Feet now sloshed and toes felt very cold.

Mile 12-11:26, Gloria Estefan serenaded me next, singing directly to my loses and my blessings and my goal, in the song "Dream" (Summer Olympics in LA). "Some dreams live on in time forever. Those dreams you want with all your heart. I'll do whatever it takes, follow through with the promise I make. If I could reach higher, just for one moment touch the sky." I will always miss my sister and she will always live in my heart and dreams. And even though she is gone, she is still here for me. This run is just a step on the way to the Portland Marathon. At this point in the race, I am thinking I could picture going another five miles, but another 14.2??? Yes, I can do it, I have 315 days to get ready. "I am gonna be stronger, know that I tried my very best, put my spirit to the test. Some days are meant to be remembered. Those days we rise above the stars. So I go the distance this time."

Mile 13.1-12:09, I am becoming aware of my cold feet, my aches, that finish line will look so fantastic! I am getting those silly tears I can't help when I run these days. As I turn toward the Memorial Stadium, it is Moby on the iPod with the perfect song "Growing in numbers, growing in peace, People they come together, No one can stop us now, 'cause we are made of stars...WE ARE ALL MADE OF STARS, " and I have a kick! I sprint to the finish with a big ole smile on my face. What a great day!

Goal time: 2 hrs. 35 min.
Actual time: 2 hrs. 30 mins. 10 seconds!

Post race
Warm down:

Walked alot!!! I did not want to get tight.

Event comments:

The post-race activities are far from the finish and very, very packed.

I am glad I did this race, but I am not sure I will do it again. Seattle weather in November is so ugly. But I enjoyed the race, so who knows :)
Chances are pretty good I'll be back for the 1/2 next year.

Last updated: 2006-12-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:10 | 13.1 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-29 5:52 PM

User image

Subject: Seattle Marathon 2006--Half Marathon Race

2006-12-30 10:27 AM
in reply to: #636907

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: RE: Seattle Marathon 2006--Half Marathon Race
Wow!  Great report.  I did this race last year (in similar weather!) so I could visualize exactly where you were.  How awesome that you carried your sister with you.  Surely she gave you strength!  Way to go beating your goal, too!
2006-12-30 12:01 PM
in reply to: #637206

Champion
South Jersey

Great job on beating your goal time! I liked reading your report - it was nice how you broke it down into each mile. That was awesome your husband was there cheering you on, and that your sister was 'racing with you.' I am sorry to hear about your sister. I hope you and your family are doing well and healing.

Again, great job. What an awesome way to end the year!! You'll do fantastic in your mary in the fall. Take care.

2006-12-30 12:05 PM
in reply to: #637265

Champion
South Jersey
Ooops. Just looked at the date of this race and realized it was over a month ago. All the sentiments are the same, just ignore that end-of-the-year stuff!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seattle Marathon 2006--Half Marathon Race Rss Feed