General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I admit it...I've been a lurker Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-11 10:09 PM

User image

Kansas City, MO
Subject: I admit it...I've been a lurker
It took me awhile to post a message because I've been a little intimidated. Some of you seem so advanced and I'm starting with a $5 pair of swim goggles, a relatively inexpensive mountain bike, and a nice (but well worn) pair of running shoes. But, by the sound of it, I'm about to get sucked in to the Tri world!

I started my quest to become a triathlete this summer. Our company participated in a team triathlon and I did the swimming part (only because nobody else would do it and I just happened to be on a swim team when I was 12 years old!)....1,000 meters in 24 minutes. I know it's not the greatest time, but I was SO very happy just to finish. I didn't think I would make it at first; the first 100 yards were the worst. I read about others having a small panic attack in the water and that's exactly what I had. I'd never done an open water swim before and I had absolutely no idea what to expect. But, as soon as I got out of the water and watched our team finish (we got 2nd!!), I was hooked. I didn't just want to do the swimming part again, I wanted to do it all!

I've just started my training and the next tri in this area isn't until next spring, so I have a long way to go and a lot of things to learn. But, I just wanted to say that I really appreciate this website. It's good to read the stories and know that you're not alone. I'm sure my boss doesn't appreciate me checking the posts every day, but I sure enjoy it! Thanks, C

2004-08-11 10:15 PM
in reply to: #46658

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: I admit it...I've been a lurker

Welcome!  PLEASE don't be intimidated!  We are a very supportive group.  Just jump right in! 

Good luck with your training

And p.s. I think your swim time was great!

2004-08-12 10:58 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the board!  There are a lot of beginners that would love to have your swim time.  Keep up the good work!
2004-08-12 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
don't be intimidated....a lot of us started with less.....
you sound like you got a good start to the sport!

Welcome

2004-08-13 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Welcome to Tri-spot. Good luck with your training and remember to try and have fun with it all.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I admit it...I've been a lurker Rss Feed